Banking & Financial Awareness
1. Franklin Templeton Trustee Services Pvt. Ltd. has appointed which bank as an advisor to work together to assist the Trustees in monetizing portfolios of the 6 schemes that are being wind up _________Kotak Mahindra Bank.
➢ Kotak Mahindra Bank has been appointed to assist the Trustees in monetizing portfolios of the 6 schemes that are being wound up & make payouts to the affected investors.
➢ The 6 schemes are- Franklin India Low Duration Fund, Franklin India Dynamic Accrual Fund, Franklin India Credit Risk Fund, Franklin India Short Term Income Plan, Franklin India Ultra Short Bond Fund and Franklin India Income Opportunities Fund of Franklin Templeton Mutual Fund.
2. Intellect Design Arena Limited has ties up with which tech giant to launch ‘iTurmeric FinCloud’ platform to switch to the latest tools and technologies ______IBM.
➢ This platform will enable the new digital banks’ systems to be tested and run in isolation or in parallel with core legacy systems.
➢ The platform comprises of various facilities such as retail banking, lending, origination, and corporate banking API.
3. ICRA Limited has sharply reduced India’s FY21 growth forecast to _________ -5%.
➢ The growth forecast has been reduced from 1% to -5%.
➢ It has also reduced the growth forecast in first quarter (Q1) of FY2021 to 25 % as compared to the previous forecast of 16-20 % and to minus 2.1 % in Q2 as against the 2.1 % growth predicted earlier.
4. Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has exempted firms engaged in business-to-business (B2B) transactions from using only BHIM, RuPay for accepting payments with a turnover of _______ ₹50 crore.
➢ As per the CBDT, the relaxation has been notified for B2B companies only if at least 95% of aggregate of all amounts received during 2019.
➢ The move comes after the representations stating that requirement of mandatory digital payment facilities for payments through the prescribed electronic modes should be applicable in B2C businesses that directly deal with consumers.
5. The Reserve Bank of India has reduced the Repo Rate to what percent ________ 4 per cent.
➢ This is expected to bring down lending rates and deposit rates as well.
➢ RBI's monetary policy committee in an off-cycle meeting voted 5-1 for a 40 bps repo rate cut, while maintaining an accommodative stance.
6. After reducing the Repo rate by RBI in an scheduled meeting Reverse repo gets automatically adjusted to _______ 3.35 per cent.
➢ The Reserve Bank of India has cut key repo lending rate by 40 basis points to 4%.
➢ RBI's monetary policy committee in an off-cycle meeting voted 5-1 for a 40 bps repo rate cut, while maintaining an accommodative stance.
➢ Reverse repo gets automatically gets adjusted to 3.35% from 3.75%.
7. The Federation of Indian Export Organisations(FIEO) informed that in the current fiscal the Indian exports are expected to fall by ________ 20 per cent.
➢ The reduction in export in vale term will be around USD 50 to 60 billion.
➢ FIEO has requested the government to provide 2% additional Merchandise Exports from India Scheme(MEIS) support to all exports & 4% to labour-intensive sectors like apparel, leather, handicraft, carpets, marine, tea and processed food.
➢ Merchandise exports constitute around 12% of India’s Gross Domestic Product(GDP), and foreign exchange earnings are around USD 320 billion.
8. What amount has been announced by the World Bank as assistance to 100 developing countries _________ $160 billion.
➢ The coronavirus pandemic and shutdown is expected to put over 60 million into extreme poverty globally.
➢ Of the 100 developing countries, nearly 70% are home to the world’s population, 39 are in Sub-Saharan Africa.
➢ Nearly one-third of the total projects are in fragile and conflict-affected situations, such as Afghanistan, Chad, Haiti and Niger.
9. Maruti Suzuki India Limited has joined hands with which financial company to launch ‘Buy Now Pay Later’ financing scheme to make the purchase of its cars ________ Cholamandalam Investment and Finance Company Limited (CIFCL).
➢ Under the scheme, customers have the option to avail a 60-day surcharge on their EMI (equated monthly instalments).
➢ However, this offer is available on select Maruti Suzuki models and is applicable on loan payments due on or before 30 June 2020.
➢ The partnership will enhance both the companies’ convenience by offering customized retail financing to customers.
10. Which General Insurance company has launched an app-based motor insurance own damage (OD) floater policy under IRDAI’s sandbox regulations ___________ Edelweiss General Insurance.
➢ The company has launched ‘Edelweiss SWITCH’ which is a driver-based motor insurance allows the owners of the vehicles to cover multiple vehicles under a single policy.
➢ Edelweiss SWITCH is approved under the ‘Pay as you use’ model, expected to change the standard of determining the premium of Motor OD based on the age, make and model of vehicle to usage of vehicle and experience of driver.
➢ The policy holder can cover three vehicles in a single policy for one year. The policy holders can use the app to SWITCH their policy cover ON and OFF based on their usage of vehicle.
11. What is the interest rate the special fixed deposit (FD) scheme launched by ICICI Bank for senior citizens called ‘ICICI Bank Golden Years FD’ ________ 6.55% per annum.
➢ It is applicable for resident Indians & is available from May 20 to September 30, 2020.
➢ The scheme offers 80 basis points (bps) more than what is applicable to the general public (non-senior citizens) for the same deposit amount and tenor.
➢ It is 30 bps more than the previous rates offered by the Bank.
12. Which bank has launched ‘Senior Citizen Care FD’ for deposits with more than 5-year tenors with investments up to Rs 5 crore _______HDFC Bank.
➢ Private sector lender HDFC Bank has launched special fixed deposit (FD) scheme for senior citizens called Senior Citizen Care FD scheme.
➢ The special FD offer for senior citizens has been made available for investment from 18 May 2020
13. IRDAI’s working committee recommended enhancing trade credit policy (TCI) cover from 85% to _______90 per cent.
➢ Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) formulated nine-member expert panel headed by New India Assurance (NIA) Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) Atul Sahai.
➢ The committee has recommended an increase in indemnity (protection against finances) being provided to the policyholders under Trade Credit Insurance (TCI) from existing 85% of the trade receivables from each buyer to 90%.
14. The Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana-PMVVY Scheme launched by Life Insurance Corporation of India(LIC) for those over and above ________60 years.
➢ The sale will be available from May 26 for 3 financial years(up to March 31, 2023). This scheme can be purchased offline as well as online from LIC website.
➢ The Union Cabinet has recently extended the pension plan till 31 March 2023 which is a social security scheme for senior citizens.
➢ LIC is solely authorised to operate this scheme that offers a total payout not exceeding Rs 15 lakhs.
➢ The scheme is a Non-Linked, Non-Participating, Pension Scheme subsidised by the Centre.
15. Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) has joined hands with which bank to offer retail financing schemes to its customers ________ ICICI Bank.
➢ As part of the tie up, ICICI Bank is offering flexi EMI scheme which enables customers to pay low EMI initially, in order to help them overcome the liquidity stress due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
➢ The EMI amount starts from ₹899 on a loan of ₹1 lakh for first three months.
➢ The bank is also offering similar other EMI plans for MSI customers.
16. According to the State Bank of India’s Ecowrap report India’s Gross Domestic Product(GDP) is estimated to grow at ________1.2 per cent.
➢ The GDP is likely to be 4.2% for FY20 as compared to the 5% projected earlier and (-)6.8% for FY21.
➢ The GDP growth of 3rd quarter of FY20 slipped to a nearly seven-year low of 4.7%, in Q1 it was 5.1% & in Q2 was 5.6%.
➢ The report forecast a loss of at least Rs 1.4 lakh crore during the last week of March.
17. Name the India’s leading public sector NBFCs which has entered into an agreement with Narmada Basin Projects Company Ltd. (NBPCL) to fund projects worth ₹22,000 crore in Madhya Pradesh ________ Power Finance Corporation (PFC).
➢ The funds will be deployed by NBPCL for setting up hydroelectric projects of 225 MW and power components of 12 major multipurpose projects in state.
➢ PFC is a central PSU under Ministry of Power and one of India's leading NBFCs.
➢ Narmada Basin Projects Company Ltd. (NBPCL) is a wholly-owned company of Madhya Pradesh government.
18. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will raise Rs80,000 crore by selling cash management bills (CMB), CMBs in India are nonstandard, discounted instruments issued for maturities less than ________ 91 days.
➢ The cash management bill (CMB) is the most flexible instrument for a Central Bank because it can be issued when needed, allowing the Central Bank to have lower cash balances and issue fewer long-term notes.
➢ CMBs tend to pay higher yields than bills with fixed maturities, but their shorter maturities lead to lower overall interest expense.
➢ The Government of India, in consultation with the RBI, had decided to issue a new short-term instrument, known as Cash Management Bills, to meet the temporary cash flow mismatches of the Government.
19. Which financial organizations has launched an artificial intelligence (AI) based chatbot, PAi, to create awareness around its products like FASTag, RuPay, UPI, AePS on a real time basis _______ National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI).
➢ This is yet another NPCI’s initiative to improve digital financial inclusion in India.
➢ The AI virtual assistant, PAi is available round the clock helping users with access to accurate information on NPCI products. Customers can ask their queries in English and Hindi, via text or voice on the websites of NPCI, RuPay, and UPI Chalega.
➢ Through PAi, users get verified automated responses to their queries on all NPCI’s products. PAi would also be accessible to global RuPay Cardholders as well.
20. Which payments bank has collaborated with Mastercard to create customised financial products for Indian farmers and Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) _______ Airtel Payments Bank.
➢ These financial products particularly for those territories where there is less access to bank administrations.
➢ The coordinated effort will unite Mastercard’s worldwide and nearby involvement with developing advanced financial solutions and Airtel Payments Bank’s circulation system to arrive at the last mile and its large customer base.
21. Which bank has received approval from SEBI to offer custodial services for silver bullion contracts ________ Deutsche Bank.
➢ The bank had received licence for custodial services in gold, oil and natural gas and index futures in October.
➢ For institutional participation in commodity derivatives, appointment of a custodian is mandatory for these asset managers for safekeeping of any physical assets.
➢ Even as Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) had permitted institutional investors to trade in commodity derivatives segment for the first time in September 2018, the participation could not take off immediately as there were no licensed custodians for commodities.
22. The Indian government has decided to withdraw which of the following Bonds _________ Savings Bonds Scheme.
➢ The scheme, commonly known as RBI Bonds or GOI bonds, is popular among retail investors who looking for safety of principal and a regular income.
➢ The Reserve Bank of India too has notified the Cessation of 7.75% Savings (Taxable) Bonds, 2018. Interest on the Bonds is taxable.
➢ The Bonds are issued at par at ₹100. The minimum subscription was fixed at ₹1,000.
➢ As per the scheme, the Bonds are be repayable on the expiration of seven years from the date of issue
23. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed ₹5 crore fine on which of the following public sector banks for violating certain provisions on asset classification, divergence, opening of current accounts, and classification and reporting of frauds ________ Bank of India.
➢ The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) imposed a penalty of Rs 6.50 crore on Karnataka Bank, Bank of India and Saraswat Co-operative Bank for non-compliance with central bank's Income Recognition and Asset Classification norms.
➢ It fined Rs 5 crore on Bank of India, while it charged Rs 1.20 crore and Rs 30 lakh from Karnataka Bank and Saraswat Cooperative Bank, respectively.
➢ For Bank of India, the fine was imposed because it violated certain provisions on asset classification, divergence, opening of current accounts, and classification and reporting of frauds.
24. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has granted a loan of US $ 177 loan to India to upgrade 450 kms of state highways and major district roads in ______ Maharashtra.
➢ As part of the project, 2 major district roads and 11 state highways, with a combined length of 450 km, to 2-lane standard across seven districts of Maharashtra will be upgraded, with improved connectivity to national highways, interstate roads, seaports, airports, rail hubs, district headquarters, industrial areas, enterprise clusters and agricultural areas.
➢ The project will also focus on training the Maharashtra Public Works Department (PWD) project staff to build their capacity in climate change adaptation and disaster-resilient features in road design, road maintenance planning and road safety.
25. Which Technology company has join hand with Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) to distribute micro insurance products of LIC ________ Vakrangee Limited.
➢ Vakrangee kendras will also act as a renewal premium collection point for all micro insurance policies of LIC irrespective of whether these policies have been procured at the kendra or not.In addition, Follow up for Collection and remittance of renewal premium of LIC’s micro insurance policies will be enabled at the kendras.
➢ Vakrangee Limited is a technology company based in Mumbai (Maharashtra).
26. The Foreign Direct Investment has increased by what percent in the FY 2020 ________13%.
➢ Sectors which attracted maximum foreign inflows during 2019-20 include services ($7.85 billion), computer software and hardware ($7.67 billion), telecommunications ($4.44 billion), trading ($4.57 billion), automobile ($2.82 billion), construction ($2 billion), and chemicals ($1 billion), the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) data showed.
➢ Singapore emerged as the largest source of FDI in India during the last fiscal, with $ 14.67 billion investments.
27. For Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) companies BSE and National Stock Exchange(NSE) announced to reduce the annual listing fee by ________ 25%.
➢ It is as a part of their attempts to lower the compliance costs for companies during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
➢ These steps will help to revive the SMEs & encourage thousands of SMEs to go for listing.
➢ NSE will provide the rebate to all its existing listed companies currently listed on its EMERGE platform.
➢ BSE will provide the rebate to its currently-listed companies & for all the firms waiting to be listed on the exchange.
28. Which Indian IT company has entered into the partnership with Avaloq to offer end-to-end (e2e) products and services as Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) across the world to its clients ________ Infosys Limited.
➢ This tie-up will not only help Infosys to leverage its Global Delivery Model and a standardized perspective to implement Avaloq’s solutions but also help latter’s unique knowledge and experience in providing e2e wealth management solutions combined with Infosys’ global presence and digital transformation capabilities will help create a one-stop-shop for wealth management clients.
➢ Infosys will also get the benefit to expand its market beyond Switzerland with an initial focus on EMEA (Europe, the Middle East and Africa) and APAC (Asia-Pacific) regions.
29. According to the Provisional Estimates of National Income for the financial year 2019-20 by National Statistical Office(NSO) India’s Gross Domestic Product(GDP) growth has slowed to an 11-year low of ________4.2 per cent.
➢ Estimation- GDP at Constant (2011-12) prices in Q4 of 2019-20 is estimated at Rs. 38.04 lakh crore, as against Rs 36.90 lakh crore in Q4 of 2018-19, which shows a growth of 3.1%, the slowest since a 0.2% rise in the fourth quarter of FY09.
➢ Revision of the quarterly GDP for earlier quarters: October- December period – to 4.1% from 4.7%; JulySeptember period- to 4.4% from 5.1%; April – June period – to 5.2% from 5.6%
30. In accordance with the data released by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), the total foreign direct investment (FDI) increased by ________18%.
➢ This hike was the highest in the four years.
➢ Out of the total FDI, equity inflows through the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB), Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI’s) automatic route of acquisition rose 13% to around $49.98 billion.
➢ Total FDI has doubled from FY13-14 when it was only $36 billion.
1. Famous sportsperson Ashley John Cooper passed away at the age of 83 in Sydney, he was associated with which sports _________ Tennis.
➢ Cooper, the former Ranked No.1 player, led Australia’s Davis Cup team to victory over the United States to retain the title in 1957.
➢ A right-handed serve-and-volley player, Cooper won 8 Grand Slam titles- 4 Grand Slam singles and 4 Grand Slam doubles titles in the amateur era.
2. Famous sportsperson Balbir Singh Dosanjh, passed away recently, he was associated with which sports _________ Hockey.
➢ Balbir Singh Sr. made his International debut in May 1947 tour of Sri Lanka.
➢ He was appointed as the Captain of Indian hockey team for the Melbourne Olympics in 1956.
➢ Retiring from his active hockey career, he served as the Manager of India’s World Cup winning team lead by Ajitpal Singh in 1975.
➢ He wrote his biography “The Golden Hat Trick: My Hockey Days” in 1977.
3. Renowned personality Gigi Simoni passed away recently, he was famous _________Football Coach.
➢ He was an Italian football official, player & manager. Simoni played as an attacking midfielder for Mantova, Napoli, Torino, Juventus, Brescia and Genoa. He won the Coppa Italia in 1961–62 with Napoli.
➢ He had a well-travelled coaching career and guided 7 teams to promotions from Serie B to the Italian top flight, a record.
➢ Gigi Simon was awarded the Panchina d’Oro as the best Italian coach.
4. Noted personality Shyamala G. Bhave passed away recently, she was a veteran _____ Classical Singer.
➢ Her father, late Govind Vitthal Bhave, trained her in Hindustani music, while she was tutored in the Carnatic stream by noted vocalists A Subbaraya and B Doreswamy. Her mother Lakshmi Bhave was also a classical vocalist.
➢ She was bestowed with the title of 'Ubhaya Gaana Vidushi (expert in both styles)' by Sir M Visvesvaraya, the 19th Diwan of Mysore.
5. Renowned personality Mujtaba Hussain passed away recently, he was a famous ________ Author.
➢ Hussain was described as the Mark Twain of Urdu. He began his literary career from “Siasat”, a leading Urdu daily published from Hyderabad.
➢ Hussain was awarded the Padma Shri, the country’s fourth-highest civilian award, in 2007.
➢ He published a book titled “Mujtaba Hussain Jaisa Dekha Jaisa Paya” and “Mujtaba Hussain Aayeinon ke Beech.
6. Famous sportsperson R. Shanmugam passed away recently, he was associated with which sports ________ Football.
➢ Shanmugam played for Mohun Bagan in 1968, Indian Railways in the 1969 Nowgong senior Nationals, Tamil Nadu in the 1970 Jalandhar & ’71 Chennai senior Nationals.
➢ He’s played for the Integral Coach Factory (ICF) from 1969-77 in the top-tier of the Chennai Football Association (CFA) league.
➢ He attended the FIFA Coca Cola coaching course in 1978 & ’91, and the Olympic solidarity course in 1996.
7. Famous personality Stanley Ho passed away recently, he was a veteran _________ Casino Tycoon.
➢ Stanley Ho is one of the richest men in Asia and the head of Sociedade de Jogos de Macau (SJM) holdings and famously known as the Casino kingpin of Gambling.
➢ He won the government monopoly license in 1961 and dominated the casino business in the former Portugal colony of Macau.
➢ He operated casinos across the globe including Portugal and North Korea and built residential and office buildings in Hong Kong.
8. Ajit Pramod Kumar Jogi, passed away recently, he was first chief minister of which Indian state ________Chhattisgarh.
➢ Jogi studied Mechanical Engineering at the Maulana Azad College of Technology & also won the University Gold Medal.
➢ He served as a lecturer at the National Institute of Technology (NIT), Raipur and was also a successful IAS (Indian Administrative Service) officer.
➢ In 1998, Jogi was elected as a Lok Sabha member from Raigarh, Chhattisgarh and became a spokesperson of the Indian National Congress (INC) party.
9. Famous personality associated with Indian cinema passed away recently, he was a veteran ________ lyricist.
➢ Famous Indian Lyricist and writer Yogesh Gaur, commonly known as Yogesh in the film industry passed away at the age of 77 in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
➢ He was a prominent lyricist in 1970s Hindi cinema and also worked with the prominent film directors such as Hrishikesh Mukherjee and Basu Chatterjee.
➢ He wrote the lyrics of hit songs “Kahin duur jab din dhal jaye” and “Zindagi kaisi hai paheli” that defined the superhit film Anand (1971).
1. World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development is celebrated every year on _________ May 21.
➢ The purpose of the day is to deepen the understanding of the values of cultural diversity and to advance the four goals of the UNESCO Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions.
➢ In the year 2001, The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) adopted ‘Universal Declaration on Cultural Diversity’ as a result of the destruction of the Buddha statues of Bamiyan in Afghanistan in 2001.
2. Anti Terrorism Day is observed every year in India on _______21st May.
➢ The day marks the death anniversary of India’s seventh Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi on 21 May 1991.
➢ He was killed in Tamil Nadu in a campaign by the Tamil Tigers Eelam (LTTE) a terrorist group.
➢ After this assassination, V.P. Singh government has decided to observe 21st May as Anti Terrorism Day.
3. The United Nations celebrates International Day for Biological Diversity every year on _______22nd May.
➢ The day is celebrated to raise awareness about the issue of significant reduction in biological diversity due to certain human activities.
➢ Biological Diversity comprises of wide variety of plants, animals and microorganisms including genetic differences within each species, for example, between varieties of crops and breeds of livestock.
➢ Theme for International Day for Biological Diversity 2020 is “Our solutions are in nature”.
4. The United Nations observes International Day to End Obstetric Fistula every year on __________23 May.
➢ The day is being observed to significantly raise awareness and intensify actions towards ending obstetric fistula, as well as urging post-surgery follow-up and tracking of fistula patients. Obstetric fistula is one of the most serious and tragic injuries that can occur during childbirth.
➢ The theme for International Day to End Obstetric Fistula 2020 is “End gender inequality! End health inequities! End Fistula now!”.
5. World Turtle Day is being celebrated every year on _________23rd May.
➢ The day was created as an annual observance to help people celebrate and protect turtles and tortoises as well as their disappearing habitats around the world. The day was celebrated for the first time in year 2000.
6. International Missing Children’s Day is observed globally every year on _______25th May.
➢ This day is observed for missing children who have found their way home, remember those that are victims of crime, and continue efforts to seek out those that are still missing.
➢ 25 May is now widely referred to as Missing Children’s Day, with the forget-me-not flower as its emblem.
7. World Thyroid Day is observed globally every year on _________ 25th May.
➢ The main purpose of the WTD is to aware of the importance of Thyroid and the prevention and treatment of thyroid diseases.
➢ This day is established in 2008 as a part of the campaign led by European Thyroid Association (ETA) and the American Thyroid Association (ATA) followed by Latin American Thyroid Society (LATS) and Asia Oceania Thyroid Association (AOTA) to commemorate the patients with Thyroid diseases and doctors and physicians who treat them.
8. International Day of UN Peacekeepers is observed globally every year on _______ 29th May.
➢ The United Nations commemorates the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers.
➢ This day is dedicated to all the women and men who have served as military, police or civilians in UN Peacekeeping operations.
➢ The Theme of day for 2020 is “Women in Peacekeeping: A Key to Peace”.
9. International Day of Action for Women’s Health is observed globally every year on ________ 28th May.
➢ The main purpose of this day is to promote the sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) of all women all over the world.
➢ May 28th, International Day of Action for Women’s Health is being coordinated by the Women’s Global Network for Reproductive Rights (WGNRR).
➢ Every woman has a right to sexual and reproductive health and rights, no matter which part of the world she hails from, what age she is, or what her ethnicity or religion is.
10. World Hunger Day is observed globally every year on _________ 28th May.
➢ The objective of this day is to raise awareness about more than 820 million people living in chronic hunger worldwide.
➢ It is observed since 2011 to not only spread awareness about the malaise of chronic hunger but also to solve hunger and poverty through sustainable undertakings.
11. International Everest Day is being observed every year on _________29th May.
➢ Nepalese Tenzing Norgay and New Zealand’s Edmund Hillary had climbed the Mt. Everest on this day (29th May) in 1953, as the first humans to achieve the feat.
12. World Health Organization (WHO) celebrates World No Tobacco Day every year on ________ 31st May.
➢ The day is being celebrated to draw global attention to the tobacco epidemic including the preventable death and disease it causes.
➢ The World No Tobacco Day 2020 provides a counter-marketing campaign and also empower young people to engage in the fight against Big Tobacco by dismissing its lies and rejecting the use of tobacco products.