IMPORTANT NEWS - INDIA
1. Who is heading the committee constituted by the Election Commission of India to examine the expenditure limit of candidates contesting in Lok Sabha and Assembly Elections ______ Harish Kumar.
➢ The two- member committee will examine the expenditure limit of candidates contesting in Lok Sabha and Assembly Elections.
➢ The need to increase expenditure has come up due to the increase in the size of electorate and increasing inflation. Previously the expenditure sealing of a candidate was revised in 2014.
2. The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched the Anaemia Mukt Bharat index in association with which intergovernmental organization ______ UNICEF.
➢ The anaemia Mukt Bharat is an initiative to reduce the prevalence of anaemia in India.
➢ Haryana topped the anaemia free India index or the anaemia Mukt Bharat Index with a score of 46.7.
➢ The index was released during the eighth governing body meeting of National Health Mission in Chandigarh.
3. AYUSH Minister Shripad Yesso Naik inaugurated the Regional Raw Drug Repository in which institution ______ All India Institute of Ayurveda in New Delhi.
➢ This RRDR is the second in the series of repositories proposed by National Medicinal Plants Board (NMPB).
➢ AYUSH Ministry has said that there is an increased demand for the natural healing and herbal products across the globe which has been further pushed by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
4. Who is the chairperson of the IFSCA Expert Committee that submitted its second interim report to the chairperson of International Financial Services Centres Authority (IFSCA) ______ Injeti Srinivas.
➢ It was an IFSCA Expert Committee that was constituted to study about the international retail business development in IFSC.
➢ The committee as constituted to make recommendations on promoting international retail business in IFSC (International Financial Service Centre).
5. Recently, the Mumbai police registered a TRP scam case against certain news channel after ratings agency BARC filed a complaint with the police. What is the fullform of BARC ______ Broadcast Audience Research Council.
➢ The alleged scam came to light when ratings agency Broadcast Audience Research Council (BARC) filed a complaint with the police, alleging that certain channels were rigging TRP numbers to lure advertisers.
➢ It was alleged that some families at whose houses metres for collecting data of viewership were installed were being bribed to tune into a particular channel.
6. Which becomes city with the longest BRTS corridor in the country ______ Surat.
➢ With this, Surat became the city with the longest BRTS corridor in the country.
➢ After the unveiling of the seven km long BRTS corridor from Kumbharia to Kadodara, the BRTS corridor in the city has become 108 running km.
7. Which district has bagged top position among 30 districts of the country in the successful implementation of Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) ______ Mandi.
➢ Himachal Pradesh’s, Mandi district has bagged top position among 30 districts of the country in the successful implementation of Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY).
➢ Himachal Pradesh has also secured the second position at the national level for construction of roads under PMGSY.
8. Who will head 14-members panel constituted by the NITI Aayog to look into introducing reforms in the urban planning education system ______ Rajiv Kumar.
➢ The panel will be headed by NITI Aayog Vice-Chairman Rajiv Kumar.
➢ The members of the committee include Amitabh Kant, CEO of NITI Aayog and secretaries of Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA), Ministry of Education (MoE) and Ministry of Panchayati Raj.
9. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched ‘Kisan Suryodaya Yojana’ an electricity scheme for farmers in which state of India ______ Gujarat.
➢ It is a scheme for providing 16 Hours of Power Supply to Farmers, providing day-time power supply needed by farmers for irrigation.
➢ The Farmers will get 3 Phase Power Supply from 5 AM to 9 PM.
➢ Gujarat Government has allocated a budget INR 3500 Crore for installing infrastructure under this scheme by 2023.
10. What is India’s rank in Ookla Speedtest Global Index that ranks nation on the basis of Global Mobile Internet Speed ______ 131st.
➢ India was ranked 121 in 2019 in this index
➢ South Korea has topped the list with an average mobile internet speed of 121.00 Mbps.
➢ Sri Lanka, Pakistan, and Nepal ranked higher on the list at 102, 116, and 117 respectively.
11. Which of the following organisation has partnered with IIT Kharagpur to develop novel Industry 4.0 technology ______ TCS.
➢ IIT Kharagpur has partnered with Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) to develop novel Industry 4.0 technology for remotely controlled factory operations
➢ This will provide setting a new trend in India’s advanced manufacturing sector
12. Which of the following ministries has launched ‘e-Dharti Geo Portal’ ______ Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
➢ Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has launched ‘e-Dharti Geo Portal’ to integrate legacy drawings such as maps and lease plans in the management information system and make its geographic information system (GIS)-enabled.
13. The Union Education Minister, Shri Ramesh pokhriyal Nishank inaugurated the DST-IIEST Solar PV Hub in which state of India ______ West Bengal.
➢ It aims to have world-class research facility. It will act as a central node for dissemination of knowledge in the field of solar energy, research and development, fabrication, solar photovoltaics, solar PV module, testing of solar cells and Solar PV systems. The hub provides great boost for the eastern and North Eastern regions of India.
14. Who among the following to head the committee formed to commemorate 400th birth anniversary of Shri Guru Tegh Bahadur ______ PM Narendra Modi.
➢ PM Narendra Modi will be heading a high level 70 member committee to commemorate 400th birth anniversary of Shri Guru Tegh Bahadur.
➢ The committee will work to formulate and approve policies, plans, programmes and will look after supervision and guidance for commemoration, deciding broad dates for the programme.
15. Which entity has released the “Electricity access in India and benchmarking distribution utilities” report ______ NITI Aayog.
➢ The report says that 92% of customers received electricity infrastructure within 50 metres of their premises.
➢ Around 87% of the customers had access to grid-based electricity. Reminding 13% were those who either used non grid sources or did not use electricity at all.
16. Under construction 8.1 Km long Feni Bridge will connect which Indian state with Bangladesh to be completed by December 2020 ______ Tripura.
➢ The bridge is to be built over Feni river. It will link Tripura with Bangladesh. The construction of the bridge began in December 2010.
➢ After completion, the bridge will be the only land link between India’s eastern states and its western states other than Assam.
17. The Shipping Ministry has launched ‘Direct Port Entry Facility’ at which port ______ V.O. Chidambaranar port, Tuticorin.
➢ The modern Direct Port Entry would allow direct movement of containers from mills to the container terminal round the clock, without in-between handling at CFSs.
➢ The facility is launch in an area of 18,357 sq. meters inside the truck parking terminal that was created under ‘Sagarmala’ for issuing customs permission of export cargo such as mills stuffed and e-sealed containers.
18. Who launched the virtual festival of “Parampara Series 2020-National Festival of Music and Dance” organised by Natya Tarangini in partnership with the United Nations ______ M Venkaiah Naidu.
➢ Natya Tarangini has been organising this for the past 23 years.
➢ This dance and music festival as the normal life has been disrupted by lockdowns, economic downturns and lack of social interaction caused by the pandemic.
19. Which tech giant has collaborated with the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) to impart digital skills to more than one lakh underserved women in India over the next 10 months ______ Microsoft.
➢ As part of the collaboration, more than 70 hours of course content will be made available free of cost, covering topics such as digital literacy, enhancing employability, nano entrepreneurship, and communication skills.
➢ This initiative is an extension of Microsoft's partnership with NSDC to provide digital skills to over 1 lakh youth in the country.
20. Which Indian IT firm has turned carbon neutral thirty years ahead of the 2050 timeline set by the Paris Agreement ______ Infosys.
➢ Over the past years, Infosys said it has reduced its per capita electricity consumption by over 55% with the ambition to transition to renewable energy.
➢ Infosys was also India’s first signatory to the RE100, a global initiative by companies committed to using 100% renewable energy
IMPORTANT NEWS - STATE
1. Which state government is to implement the smart blackboard scheme in more than 80,000 Government schools ______ Tamil Nadu.
➢ The smart blackboard scheme aims to use audio visual teaching material that can be integrated along with digital classrooms. It will create materials that can be fed into computer screens using pen drives.
➢ The Tamil Nadu State government has also decided to reduce be syllabus of 2020-21 by 40 percentage.
2. Which state government has decided to establish women help desks in each and every police station of state ______ Uttar Pradesh.
➢ The women police personnel deputed on helpdesk will not only listen to the complaints of women but will always be ready to help them anytime.
➢ The Chief Minister has also directed the state police force to personally visit the site of crime against women and children and ensure timely investigation.
3. Which State/UT has signed an historic Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with online store Flipkart to provide a platform for local artisans, craftsmen, weavers to reach customers across the globe ______ Jammu and Kashmir.
➢ This partnership will provide an appropriate opportunity for the momentous growth and development of the respective sectors.
➢ This e-marketing channel shall involve and benefit artisans and weavers both in organized and unorganized sector and for the first six months, Flipkart will not charge any fee from the artisans and weavers.
4. Which state government has launched a BIMA scheme to provide financial assistance through insurance cover to the beneficiary in case of death or accident of their families members ______ Andhra Pradesh.
➢ All families with white ration cards are eligible for YSR Bima scheme. Village/ward volunteers will visit the families and enrol the names of the primary householders.
➢ The claim amount will be directly credited into the beneficiary bank account within 15 days of making the claim.
5. Which of the following state government has secured first rank in loan disbursement under PM SVANidhi Scheme ______ Uttar Pradesh.
➢ UP has been ranked first in all the categories like Applications, Sanctions and Disbursements of the loans under PM SVANidhi scheme.
6. Which of the following state has been recently included under ESI Scheme for the first time ______ Arunachal Pradesh.
➢ It will be applicable to all the factories located in Papum Pare district of Arunachal Pradesh employing 10 or more persons, along with other benefits
➢ ESI Scheme has been implemented in 568 districts in all the States and Union Territories, except Lakshdweep.
7. Which state has built a war memorial in Bum La ______ Arunachal Pradesh.
➢ A war memorial has come up in at Bum La in Arunachal Pradesh. Joginder Singh of 1st Battalion the Sikh Regt received the highest gallantry award, ‘Param Vir Chakra’ in the Eastern Theatre during the 1962 Sino- India War.
➢ Indian Army organised the Inauguration Ceremony of Joginder War Memorial at Bum La on October 23 coinciding with the day on which the Battle of Tongpen La (Bum La) took place in 1962.
8. Which became the first Indian state to fix Minimum Support Price for sixteen agriculture items ______ Kerala.
➢ The scheme is to support farmers and increase agriculture sector.
➢ Sixteen different varieties of vegetables will be covered in the first phase. There is also a condition to revise the MSP price on a regular basis.
9. The Young Advocates Welfare Fund has been launched in which state ______ Tamil Nadu.
➢ It provides monthly financial assistance of three thousand rupees each for two years to the lawyers who just come out of law colleges.
➢ Normally a fresher from law colleges takes three to four years to begin practice as an advocate in the court as the registration in the Bar Council, and the mandatory practicing under a senior advocate takes time.
10. Which state government has decided to establish anti-human trafficking Police Stations in each and every district in a major step towards the security of women and children ______ Uttar Pradesh.
➢ These Police Stations will be given enough powers to register the case and investigate the matter independently.
➢ The state government is going to establish 40 new anti-trafficking units which will work like police stations in districts and will conduct the investigation after registering the cases.
11. Which state government has launched ’State Scholarship Portal’ to help eligible students of the state to avail scholarship benefits in a seamless and transparent manner ______ Odisha.
➢ According to a government release, 21 scholarships would be offered by eight state departments and more than 11 lakh beneficiary students from Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Other Backward Classes, and educationally backward classes would benefit from the scholarship portal.
12. Which state government has launched ‘Sumangal Portal’ to help people avail inter-caste marriage incentives ______ Odisha.
➢ The Chief Minister said while inaugurating the Sumangal portal that inter-ethnic marriages increased social unity and it reduced racial discrimination while promoting equality and peaceful coexistence in society.
➢ The CM added that Rs 2.5 lakh can be availed by beneficiaries within 60 days of applying at the portal.
IMPORTANT NEWS - WORLD
1. Which intergovernmental organization has released the third edition of “The Future of Jobs Report 2020”, according to which the covid-19 and its impacts will disrupt more than 85 million jobs by 2025 ______ World Economic Forum.
➢ According to the report the covid-19 and its impacts will disrupt more than 85 million jobs by 2025.
➢ The report is based on the future of jobs. The report has been prepared by the forum based on the projections of Senior Business leaders from more than 300 Global firms.
2. World famous UNESCO Heritage sitecou, Nazca lines is located in which country ______ Peru.
➢ The Nazca lines consists of hundreds of gigantic geoglyph that date back more than 2000 years.
➢ The newly discovered cat Geoglyph is older than the ones discovered earlier.
3. India-assisted which Hydroelectric project in Bhutan has been awarded the Brunel Medal-2020, UK’s top engineering body award ______ Mangdechhu.
➢ The 720-MW Mangdechhu run-of-river power project is built on the Mangdechhu River in Trongsa Dzongkhag district of central Bhutan at a cost of Rs 4,500-crore.
➢ The project was jointly inaugurated by the prime ministers of the two countries in August 2019, during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s state visit to Bhutan.
4. Which country has joined the International Monetary Fund (IMF), to become its 190th member ______ Andorra.
➢ Andorra is a microstate situated between France and Spain.
➢ IMF’s Membership allows the Andorran government to benefit from IMF policy advice, especially as the country tackles the crisis caused by COVID-19 and can now receive an annual review or “health check” of its economy by the IMF.
5. The United States approved the potential sale of three weapon systems, as well as missiles and artillery to which country ______ Taiwan.
➢ The United States also approved 11 truck-based rocket launchers created by Lockheed Martin Corp called a High Mobility Artillery Rocket System for an approximately cost of USD 436.1m.
➢ It also approved 135 AGM-84H Standoff Land Attack Missile Expanded Response (SLAM-ER) Missiles & associated instruments created Boeing, for an estimated cost of USD 1.008bn.
6. Which country has announced ‘no mask, no service’ policy ______ Bangladesh.
➢ The Bangladesh government has decided that no service will be provided to people who don’t wear masks.
➢ The cabinet meeting Chaired by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina decided that no one will be allowed to enter offices without the mask.
7. Which of the following nation became 3rd Arab Nation to normalise relations with Israel ______ Sudan.
➢ The new agreement between Sudan and Israel will establish economic and trade links, with an initial focus on agriculture
➢ United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Bahrain were the other Arab nations to establish formal ties with Israel.
8. Which country has hosted the 19th SCO foreign trade and economic ministers meet 2020 ______ India.
➢ During the meet, the Minister remarked that countries have to leverage their Economic Strength to enhance trade and investment in the region.
➢ This according to the Minister will help in enhancing the speed of recovery from the covid-19 pandemic.
HONOR & AWARDS
1. The European Union has awarded its top human rights prize to ______ Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya.
➢ It is an honour to announce that the women and men of the democratic opposition in Belarus are the 2020 Sakharov Prize laureates.
➢ A 38-year old former English teacher with no previous political experience, Ms. Tsikhanouskaya joined the race after her husband who aspired to run for president was jailed. He has remained in prison.
2. Which of the following tech gaint has bagged the first position in the Forbes’ list of World’s Best Employer 2020 ______ Samsung.
➢ Samsung Electronics has topped the Forbes list of World’s Best Employer 2020, which features 750 multinational and large corporations
➢ Amazon has bagged second position, followed by IBM, Microsoft and LG
➢ From India, HCL Technologies is top industry in the list. It is placed at 30th position globally.
3. Which organization has won the UN Global Climate Action Award for combating climate change amid COVID-19 pandemic ______ Global Himalayan Expedition.
➢ The UN Global Climate Action awards are guided by the power for change drive at UN Climate Change.
➢ The declaration of awards is also a major goal to mobilize wishes and action as government work with regards to the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Climate Change Agreement.
➢ GHE is a corporation that manages ‘Impacts Expeditions’ to the Himalayan villages in native areas. These expeditions will have a valid cause. For instance, to set up solar energy in remote villages.
1. Who has won the 2020 Portuguese Grand Prix, held at Algarve International Circuit, Portugal ______ Lewis Hamilton.
➢ This was the 12th round of the 2020 Formula One World Championship. This is Hamilton’s 8th win of the season and 92nd career race victory.
➢ With this win, he has surpassed the record of 91 wins set by German great Michael Schumacher. Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes- Finland) came second followed by Max Verstappen (Red Bull – Netherlands) at the third spot.
2. The Sports Authority of India (SAI) has consented a national coaching camp for which sports ______ Table Tennis.
➢ The National Coaching camp has been allowed at an estimated cost of Rs 18 lakh (plus air travel and medical expenses).
➢ The Table Tennis Federation of India has organized the camp at the Delhi Public School Sonepat
➢ The camp consists of 11 players (5 male, 6 female) and four support staff.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
1. Who has authored the book titled “Night of the Restless Spirits: Stories from 1984” ______ Sarbpreet Singh.
➢ Sarbpreet Singh has authored a book titled “Night of the Restless Spirits: Stories from 1984”. The book recounts the Sikh massacre or anti-Sikh riots of 1984.
➢ The book narrates many stories of ordinary people, that capture the horrors and uncertainties of 1984 through the eyes of Sikhs around the world. The book is published by Penguin.
2. Who has been honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award 2020 at the At the 3rd India International Film Festival of Boston (IIFFB) 2020 based in Boston, USA ______ Om Puri.
➢ Chef Vikas Khanna was honoured with “Pride of India” a special award at the 3rd IIFFB 2020.
➢ Om Puri was an acclaimed actor who worked with directors like Satyajit Ray, Shyam Benegal, Govind Nihalni and Mrinal Sen and he has also worked with various Hollywood directors like Roland Joffe, Mike Nichols, Lasse Halstrom etc.
SCIENCE AND DEFENCE
1. Name the indigenously built anti-submarine Warfare stealth corvettes under project 28 which is being commissioned into the Indian Navy ______ INS Kavaratti.
➢ The INS Kavaratti is one of the four indigenously built anti-submarine Warfare stealth corvettes under project 28. The project 28 is also called Kamorta class Corvettes.
➢ The project 28 was approved in 2003. The construction of INS Kamorta under the project began in 2005.
2. Which institutions has developed the covid-19 test called COVIRAP that was recently approved by the Indian Council of Medical Research recently ______ IIT Kharagpur.
➢ It is a Diagnostic machine that was developed by the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur. This kit gives close test results as produced by RT-PCR.
➢ COVIRAP is user friendly and is of low cost. It determines the results in less than an hour.
3. As per the announcement made by the Department of Science and Technology the third phase of National SupercomputingMission will start by ______ January 2021.
➢ The third phase of the mission is to increase computing speed to around 45 petaflops.
➢ The C-DAC and the National Supercomputing Mission signed agreement with the leading institutes of India.
➢ According to the agreement, manufacturing units and assembly units of super computers are to be established in the Premier Institutes of the country.
4. The final user trial of Anti Tank Guided Missile, NAG was conducted by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully, which defence manufacturing units ______ Bharat Dynamics Limited.
➢ The Nag missile was fired from the Nag Missile Carrier.
➢ The range of Nag missile is between 4 and 7 kilometres. In 2018, the Ministry of Defence cleared acquisition of 300 Nag missiles and 25 Nag Misile Carriers. A Nag carrier is a modified BMP infantry combat vehicle.
5. Which IIT has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) to share expertise for the betterment of highway infrastructure ______ IIT Jodhpur.
➢ The two institutions will work in domains which include transportation engineering, structural engineering, geotechnical engineering.
➢ The joint activities will bridge the industry-institution gap and develop technologies that would be adopted in practice by NHAI.
6. The researchers from IIT developed a low-cost method to produce anti-ageing compounds ______ IIT Guwahati.
➢ The compound has been developed from a wide range of agricultural resources such as pulses, tea, berries, orange peels, parsley, onion and sea buckthorn.
➢ The product does not use organic solvents as done by the other commercial industry.
7. The Indian Space Research Organization will launch Synthetic Aperture Radar satellite jointly with which space agency ______ NASA.
➢ A joint statement issued after the dialogue read that the NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar called the NISAR is to be launched by 2022.
➢ The space agencies of the countries signed an agreement to conduct a joint NISAR mission.
➢ The mission will develop and launch a synthetic aperture radar.
8. Which Indian organization has launched Secure Application for Internet (SAI), that will provide secure voice, video and text calling services to the security personnel ______ Indian Army.
➢ The SAI model is much similar to other commercial applications such as Telegram, WhatsApp, SAMVAD.
➢ The mobile application developed by the Indian Army is called the Secure Application for Internet (SAI).
➢ It facilitates secure communication among the Indian Army personnel.