Banking & Financial Awareness
1. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to increase the number of days that a State/UT can continue to overdraft to ________21 working days.
➢ Due to coronavirus pandemic States/UTs are facing cash flow mismatches therefore RBI has increased the number of days of overdraft from 14 working days to 21 working days.
➢ In addition, the number of days that a State/UT can overdraft in a quarter has also been increased to 50 working days from the current stipulation of 36 working days.
➢ The new arrangement is effective immediately and is valid until September 30
2. Airtel Payments Bank has collaborated with which General Insurance to offer financial protection for COVID-19 via two different health insurance plans _______ Bharti AXA General Insurance.
➢ The plan named “Bharti AXA Group Health Assure Policy”offers a lump sum benefit of Rs 25,000 and the other plan “Group Hospital Cash”will offer a daily benefit of starting Rs 500.
➢ It should be noted that both are ‘Need-Based Insurance’ covers with a validity of one year and there is no mention about the minimum and maximum age limit to avail this policy.
3. The Punjab National Bank Housing Finance (PNBHF) has signed agreement with which agency to raise to provide loans to affordable housing segment _________ Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
➢ It is a 5 year long term loan which helps to balance the company’s Asset Liability Management (ALM) position.
➢ It is JICA’s first debt funding in India’s housing finance sector.
4. Which public sector bank has initiated four schemes for agri sector to tackle COVID-19 impact _______ Bank of Baroda (BoB).
➢ The Bank of Baroda (BoB) has initiated four agro schemes for Women Self Help Groups (SHGs), Farmer Producer Organizations (FPO/FPC) and farming community.
➢ It should be noted only the existing borrowers of BoB whether individual or FPO or SHG are eligible for the schemes.
➢ The four schemes are
i. Additional Assurance to SHGs- COVID19
ii. Baroda Emergency Credit Line for Farmer Producer Organization (FPO/FPC)
iii. Baroda Special Scheme for existing Agriculture Investment Credit borrowers
iv. Baroda Special Scheme for existing BKCC borrowers impacted by COVID-19
5. The Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has announced to provide emergency working capital to Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) up to ________ one crore.
➢ The SIDBI Assistance to Facilitate Emergency response against coronavirus (SAFE) loan limit has been increased to 2 crores from Rs 50 lakhs.
➢ It is a financial assistance program launched by SIDBI for (Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises) MSMEs that engage in the manufacturing of products (hand sanitizers, masks, gloves, head gear, bodysuits, shoe covers, ventilators, goggles, among others) or offer services to combat the novel coronavirus.
6. According to the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) report India’s GDP growth for FY 20-21 is likely to be declined to ______4.8%.
➢ As per the report the Economic growth for the country could stand at 5.1% for fiscal year 2021-22.
➢ It should be noted that our Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had projected India’s GDP growth of 6-6.5% while presenting economic survey 2020-21, up from 5% estimate for 2019-20.
7. Goldman Sachs lowered India’s growth forecast for Financial Year 2020-21 from 3.3% to ________ 1.6%.
➢ It stated that the revised growth will be deeper when compared to the recession India has experienced in 1970’s, 1980’s & 2009.
➢ Many analysts like Fitch, Moody are downgrading India’s growth rate due to the pandemic.
8. Which Small Finance Bank has launched DigiGen a digital banking platform to open savings account & fixed deposit digitally ________ Jana Small Finance Bank.
➢ It is a 3 step process to open an account, where the customers are eligible for 4.5% interest rates on savings accounts with no minimum balance and up to 7.5% interest on fixed deposits.
➢ The new digital solution offers many features including online bill payment, instant cash transfer and airport lounge access on a debit card.
9. Which bank has extended its strategic bancassurance partnership with Max Life Insurance for five more years ______Yes Bank.
➢ As a part of partnership, the products of the life insurer sold through the branches of Yes Bank. Customers are offered with a broad range of need-based products and services.
➢ It should be noted that the companies began their partnership in February 2005, and has about 280,000 policies. It has settled death claims of more than Rs 70 crore and offered protection worth Rs 34,500 crore to policy holders and their families.
10. Which countries central bank has raised its stake in Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited (HDFC) from 0.8% to 1.01% ________ China (People’s Bank of China).
➢ The stake raising process was done as a secondary market transaction. The stakes comprises of 17.49 million shares of the the country’s largest mortgage lender HDFC.
➢ After the transaction, the closing price of the Chinese central bank’s stake in HDFC was Rs 2,976 crore.
11. The twitter campaign urging bank customers to adopt digital modes of payment that are convenient and safe has been launched by _____Reserve Bank of India.
➢ RBI emphasised on transacting digitally as it gives the convenience of making payments anytime and anywhere.
➢ Through the campaign, RBI reiterated the multiple digital payment options such as NEFT, IMPS, UPI and BBPS that are available 24*7.
➢ The face of the campaign is Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan.
1. Renowned personality Honor Blackman passed away recently, she was a veteran _________ Hollywood Actress.
➢ Honor Blackman was one of the memorable co-stars of the early James Bond films.
➢ Honor Blackman shot to fame in her late 30s after playing legendary Bond girl Pussy Galore in the 1964 movie Goldfinger.
2. Famous sportsperson Radomir Antic passed away recently, he was associated with which sports _______Football.
➢ Radomir Antic, Serbian football manager and player, the only man to have coached Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atlético Madrid, passed away at the age of 71 in Madrid, Spain.
➢ Antic managed Atletico on three separate occasions, winning the league and cup double in 1995-96 and only one of two people to coach EL Clasico rivals Real and Barca during his career after Enrique Fernandez Viola.
3. Name the 2 time Grammy award winner & Grammy lifetime achievement award winner American folk singer passed away recently ________ John Prine.
➢ John Prine passed away due to coronavirus complications.
➢ His best works are Missing Years, Fair and Square for which he received Grammy awards, Angel From Montgomery, Illegal Smile,Christmas in Prison & Tree of Forgiveness among others.
➢ He was inducted into Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2003 & Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2019 & received the PEN/New England Song Lyrics of Literary Excellence Award in 2016.
4. Renowned player Donato Sabia passed away due to Coronavirus he was a veteran _______Sprinter.
➢ Donato Sabia, twice Olympics 800 meters finalist and the former European Indoor Champion, passed away at the age of 56 in Potenza, Italy due to Coronavirus.
➢ He was born on September 11, 1963 in Potenzo, Italy.
5. Famous Indian American Brahm Kanchibotla passed away due to coronavirus, he was a veteran _______Journalist.
➢ In recent years, he has been writing for two Indian-American publications, the Indian Panorama and the South Asia Times.
➢ During his 28-year career in the US, he worked for 11 years as a content editor for Merger Markets, a financial publication, and also worked for News India-Times Weekly.
➢ He emigrated to the US in 1992 after having worked for several publications in India.
6. Famous Shanti Hiranand Chawla passed away recently, she was a veteran _________ Hindustani Classical singer.
➢ Shanti was trained in thumri, dadra and ghazal singing by Begum Akthar. With the passing of Shanti Hiranand the Begum Akthar era is formally over.
➢ She was world-renowned for keeping the legendary ghazal singer’s style alive in her performances, which she staged all across the world including Lahore, Islamabad, Toronto, Boston, New York and Washington.
7. Legendary sportsperson Sir Stirling Moss passed away recently, he was associated with which sports ________ Formula 1.
➢ Moss was widely regarded as the greatest driver never to win the Formula One drivers’ world championship.
➢ The British driver took part in Formula One from 1951 to 1961 and also made 67 starts in the F1 World Championship, claiming victory winning 16 races and claiming 16 pole positions and 24 podium positions.
8. Famous sportsperson Peter Bonetti passed away recently, he was associated with which sports ________Football.
➢ He was part of England’s 1966 World Cup-winning team but was unused throughout the tournament. He was featured in 1970 World Cup quarter-final defeat by West Germany.
➢ He was nicknamed as ‘The Cat’ because of his safe handling, lightning reflexes and his graceful style.
1. The International Romani Day is observed every year on __________ 8th April.
➢ The day is observed annually to raise awareness of the issues faced by Romani people and to celebrate Romani culture.
➢ The International Romani Day was officially declared at the fourth World Romani Congress of the International Romani Union (IRU) in Serock, Poland, in 1990.
➢ The day also remembers the first major international meeting of Romani representatives held between April 7 to 12, 1971 in Chelsfield, England.
2. The World Homeopathy Day is celebrated every year on ______ 10th April.
➢ This year the day marks the 265th birth anniversary of the father of the Homeopathy systems of medicines Dr. Christian Friedrich Samuel Hahnemann, German physician.
➢ He discovered the way to heal through the use of homeopathy.
➢ The term ‘homeopathy’ comes from the combination of the two Greek words, homeo- meaning similar & pathosmeaning suffering or disease.
➢ Theme of the day this year (2020I is “Enhancing the scope of Homeopathy in Public Health”.
3. The Play True Day is observed every year on _______ 9th April.
➢ The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) celebrated the Play True Day 2020.
➢ The theme of this year is ‘Play Safe on Play True Day 2020’.
➢ WADA and the anti-doping community worldwide is celebrating the ‘Play True Day’ since 2014. WADA celebrates the day with athletes, national and regional anti- doping organizations, sports federations, major event organizers & other anti- doping stakeholders from the global clean sport community.
4. National Safe Motherhood Day (NSMD) is celebrated annually on ________ 11th April.
➢ The day is celebrated to raise awareness on proper healthcare and maternity facilities to pregnant and lactating women.
➢ NSMD is an initiative of the White Ribbon Alliance India (WRAI) to ensure that every woman should have the availability and enough access to care during pregnancy, childbirth and postnatal services
5. The international day of human space flight is observed across the world annually on ______ 12th April.
➢ The day remarks 1st human to orbit the earth- Yuri Gagarin in “Vostok 1” on April 12, 1961.
➢ The day is observed to celebrate the space age for the human race to reaffirm the vital role of space science and technology in achieving sustainable development goals and improve the well-being of states, people, and to realize the ambition of maintaining the space for peaceful purposes.
➢ The 1st human-made Earth satellite Sputnik I was launched into outer space on 4th October 1957 which opened a new way for space exploration.
6. National Pet Day is celebrated every year on _______ 11th April.
➢ The Day is celebrated to create public awareness about animals that currently live in shelters and rescues and are in need of a forever home.
➢ National pet day was founded in 2006 by Colleen Paige, who is a renowned animal welfare advocate and lifestyle expert.
1. Who has been appointed as the Chairman of the National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) __________ UB Pravin Rao.
➢ UB Pravin Rao succeeds Keshav Murugesh, Group Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of World Network Services (WNS) Global Services, who served as chairman of NASSCOM for the year 2019-20. Previously Rao was the vice chairman of NASSCOM.
2. Who has been appointed as the brand ambassador of PepsiCo for one year ________ Shafali Verma.
➢ Pepsi will be Shafali’s first contract with a major brand. The beverage firm recently signed Bollywood star Salman Khan as its face for 2 years.
➢ Shafali Verma hails from Haryana is the explosive top- order Indian batswoman, who played the ICC Women’s Twenty20 International World Cup against Australia in Melbourne.
3. Who has been appointed as the new Managing Director (MD) & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Bharti AXA Life Insurance Company ________ Parag Raja.
➢ The appointment will be subject to the requisite approval from the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI).
➢ Parag Raja will be the successor of Vikas Seth.
➢ Raja served as the Chief Distribution Officer at Aditya Birla Sun Life Insurance (ABSLI).
4. Who has been appointed as the Managing Director (MD) & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of IFFCO Tokio General Insurance _________ Anamika Roy Rashtrawar.
➢ She was the successor of Warendra Sinha.
➢ She was the first woman MD and CEO of a large private sector IFFCO Tokio general insurance company.
➢ She joined the company as a whole-time director in June 2018 and spearheaded the company’s business transformation project by expanding operations in tier -II, III, IV towns.
5. Who has been appointed as part-time Chairman of AU Small Finance Bank for the period of one year ______ Raj Vikash Verma.
➢ Verma was inducted as an Independent Director with the AU Bank in January 2018. He was the former Chairman and Managing Director (MD) of National Housing Bank (NHB).
➢ Verma was a certified Associate of the Indian Institute of the Bankers (CAIIB).
6. Who has been appointed as the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of AU Small Finance Bank _______ Sanjay Agarwal.
➢ Sanjay Agarwal reappointed as Managing Director (MD) and CEO (Chief Executive Officer)
➢ Agarwal has been associated with this institution (AU small finance bank) since its inception in 1996 (erstwhile AU Financiers India Limited), is also its promoter.
➢ AU Small Finance Bank is an Indian Scheduled Commercial bank that was founded as a finance company AU financiers (India) Limited incorporated as L.N. Finco Gems Private Limited
7. Who has been appointed as the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Karnataka Bank _______ Mahabaleshwara M S.
➢ Private sector lender Karnataka Bank received RBI (Reserve Bank of India) approval for the re-appointment of Mahabaleshwara M S as MD (Managing Director) and CEO (Chief Executive Officer) for next 3 years. The bank regulator has also approved for reappointment of Polali Jayarama Bhat as part time (non-executive) chairman.
8. Who has been appointed as the brand ambassador of the James Bullough Lansing (JBL)’s campaign -”Live it Real, Live it Raw” _______Sara Ali Khan.
➢ She lines up with JBL ambassadors and partners from music, sports, and entertainment industries including actor and humanitarian Priyanka Chopra, music mogul AR Rahman, and Olympian Shuttler PV Sindhu in India.
➢ Mahindra Group’s MeraKisan, an organic Agri producer has partnered with The Vice-Captain of the Indian Test Cricket team Ajinkya Rahane, as part of this, he will own equity & will be its brand ambassador.