Important News – India
1. Union Cabinet headed by Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi has approved an ordinance to cut in the salaries of all Members of Parliament by _______30%.
➢ It also provisioned a two-year suspension (2020-21 and 2021-22) of the MP Local Area Development (MPLAD) scheme so that the amount saved can go to the Consolidated Fund of India to fight COVID-19.
➢ This announcement was made by Prakash Javadkar, Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting.
2. National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has achieved the highest ever highway construction feat with an accomplishment of _______ 3,979 km.
➢ However, it has completed 88% of highway construction against the target of building 4,500 km highways in FY20. In the FY 2018-19, NHAI constructed 3,380 km of National Highways.
➢ The government has initiated a highway development programme in 2015 namely Bharatmala Pariyojana, which includes development of about 65,000 km of NHs.
➢ Under Phase-I of the programme, the government has approved implementation of 34,800 km of national highways projects with an outlay of Rs 5.35 lakh crore in a period of five years
3. What is the name that has been given to mega ONLINE innovation challenge launched by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) ______ SAMADHAN.
➢ The innovation cell of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) and All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) has launched a mega ONLINE challenge called “SAMADHAN” to fight against covid19.
➢ Under the “Samadhan” challenge, the students and faculty will be motivated for doing new experiments and new discoveries and provide them with a strong base leading to a spirit of experimentation and discovery.
4. Which platform has been launched by the government of India for all front-line workers to equip them with the training and updates in coping with Pandemic ______ iGOT e-learning platform.
➢ Giving COVID 19 training to other potential second line workforce, India will be better prepared for the emergent situations.
➢ The target group is Doctors, Nurses, Paramedics, Hygiene Workers, Technicians, Auxiliary Nursing Midwives (ANMs), Central & State Govt. Officers, Civil Defence Officials, various Police Organisations, National Cadet Corps (NCC), Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS), National Service Scheme (NSS), Indian Red Cross Society (IRCS), Bharat Scouts & Guides (BSG) and other volunteers.
➢ The platform delivers curated, role-specific content, to each learner at his place of work or home and to any device of his choice.
5. Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) has removed export restrictions on 24 pharma ingredients including 12 active pharmaceutical ingredients, it operates under which ministry _______ Ministry of Commerce & Industry.
➢ In this regard, amendment has been made in the chapter 29 and 30 of the Schedule 2 of the ITCHS (Indian Trade Clarification based on Harmonized System) Export Policy, 2018 which is related APIs and formulations.
➢ It should be noted that the outbound shipments of paracetamol and its formulations continue to remain restricted or need a license from the government to get exported
6. Which ministry has divide the the health centers into 3 categories namely- COVID Care Centre, Dedicated COVID Health Centre and Dedicated COVID Hospital ________ Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
➢ Under these facilities, it will be ensured that the capacity of hospital beds is used only for moderate and severe patients of infection.
➢ Patients suspected of corona or patients with mild or very mild symptoms will be placed in Covid Care Center.
➢ Patients with moderate symptoms of coronavirus will be admitted in Dedicated COVID Health Centre
➢ Serious patients infected with the corona virus will be admitted in Dedicated COVID Hospital.
7. Name the mobile doctor booth created by the West Central Railway’s Coach Rehabilitation Workshop (CRWS) ______CHARAK.
➢ This is to eliminate the possibility of physical contact between the doctor and the coronavirus (COVID-19) infected patient.
➢ A viral barrier chamber has been built in the railway compartment itself, through which doctors will be able to examine patients without direct physical contact.
➢ This system will prove to be very helpful as there is a shortage of PPE and medical staff at this time.
➢ The mobile booth can go to remote villages & can also be taken up to 500 meters by hand.
8. Hindustan Unilever has partnered with which organization to support India to combat COVID-19 ______UNICEF.
➢ Hindustan Unilever has partnered with the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) to support India to combat COVID-19.
➢ The partnership aims to initiate a mass communication campaign with an objective of informing and empowering the general public against the COVID-19 pandemic.
➢ The mass communication campaign titled ‘#BreakTheChain‘ or ‘#VirusKiKadiTodo‘ will unite the technical knowledge of UNICEF with the marketing expertise and scale of HUL.
9. What amount the government of India has approved for the ‘India COVID-19 Emergency Response and Health System Preparedness Package _________ Rs.15000 crores.
➢ The package is to build health infrastructure in states and UTs till March 2024.
➢ Of the 15,000 crore, Centre would release Rs.7,774 crore for immediate COVID-19 Emergency Response use till June 2020 and the rest will be set for medium-term support of 1-4 years.
10. To launch a digital campaign to ensure work safety of Tribal Gatherers TRIFED has collaborated with WHO and ______UNICEF.
➢ This is to ensure tribal gatherers carry on their work safely during the collection and harvest of Minor Forest Produce (MFP)/Non Timber Forest Produce (NTFP).
➢ This collaboration will promote a digital campaign for Self Help Groups (SHGs) highlighting the importance of Social Distancing
➢ This will further create awareness among the tribal community and also provide Do’s and Don’ts Advisories relating to NTFP during Covid-19.
11. The Supreme Court (SC) of India has extended the tenure of chairperson of Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) ________Justice Shiva Kirti Singh.
➢ This decision has been taken by the bench of Justices L Nageswara Rao, Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Deepak Gupta headed by Chief Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde.
➢ The bench also expressed concern over the delay in appointment of administrative and technical members of TDSAT and asked Solicitor General Tushar Mehta to answer on behalf of Centre.
12. To improve the online education ecosystem of India Union Human Resource Development Ministry has launched the campaign _________ ‘Bharat Padhe Online’
➢ The campaign aims to invite all the best brains in India to share suggestions or solutions directly with the HRD Ministry, to overcome the obstacles of online education while promoting the available digital education platforms.
➢ Educators across the country can also contribute with their expertise in the field of education, where a conversation may be initiated about the limitation of the current online education scenario, challenges faced by them in traditional classrooms that can be addressed through online education & the structure of a perfect online education ecosystem.
13. Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has allowed the use of a diagnostic machine used to test drug-resistant TB (Tuberculosis) for conducting coronavirus tests namely _______ Truenat TM.
➢ Currently, India is using Real Time-Polymerase Chain Reaction test recommended by the US and approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration).
➢ During the investigations, samples will be taken from the nose and throat and sent to the viral transport medium (VTM) provided with the kit.
➢ Earlier ICMR has also recommended the use of the Truenat beta CoV test on Truelab workstation, which is used to detect drug resistant TB.
14. Which railway station becomes first station of IR to install sanitizing tunnel _________Ahmedabad.
➢ The Ahmedabad railway station at Kalupur, Gujarat of Western Railway became the first station of Indian Railways (IR) to install a Walk Through Mass Sanitizing Tunnel to ensure the safety of staff and passengers in the view of the COVID-19.
➢ The tunnel was inaugurated by Ahmedabad DRM (Divisional Railway Manager) Deepak Jha.
Important News – State
1. As per the report published by Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) for the year ended March 31, 2018 which state commits highest crime related to the environment in the country _________Rajasthan.
➢ In accordance with the report by the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) for the year ended March 31, 2018, 40.59% of the crimes related to the environment in the country were committed in Rajasthan (RJ) during 2014-16.
➢ The major crimes were violation of Forest (Conservation) Act, 1980 and Wildlife Protect Act, 1972 which resulted in using of forest land for non-forest purposes without approval of government and capturing, poisoning, snaring or trapping of wild animals respectively.
2. Which becomes the first state to extend Covid-19 lockdown till April 30 ________Odisha.
➢ Amid unconfirmed speculation about the nationwide lockdown due to end on April 14, Odisha has become the first Indian state to extend the ongoing lockdown.
➢ In a statement Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik said that his government has decided to extend the lockdown period in Odisha till April 30.
3. Which becomes the first state to commence clinical trial plasma therapy treatment _________Kerala.
➢ The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has given approval to Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST), Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala,
➢ This is to commence convalescent plasma therapy, which uses antibodies from the blood of cured patients, to treat critically ill COVID- 19 cases on a trial basis.
➢ Therefore, Kerala becomes the first state in the country to start clinical trial plasma therapy treatment.
4. Which state announced a 5T plan which includes- Testing, Tracing, Treatment, Teamwork & Tracking and monitoring to control the spread of COVID-19 in the state ________Delhi.
➢ Testing- Only through testing, the infected person can be detected & aggressive testing is crucial to prevent the spread of the virus.
➢ Tracing- Persons associated with a positive patient are identified and asked for self-quarantine.
➢ Treatment- If someone is infected with COVID-19, they will be provided treatment.
➢ Teamwork- The virus can be combated & defeated through teamwork.
➢ Tracking & Monitoring- Active tracking & monitoring the developments will help to take action to deal with the spread of the virus.
5. Which state government has launched “Operation SHIELD” in identified Containment Areas of the state to control the spread of the coronavirus pandemic _________Delhi.
➢ It deals with sealing, home quarantine, isolation & tracking, essential supply of commodities, local sanitisation and door-to-door health checkups.
➢ S– Sealing of the immediate area/surroundings after geographical marking.
➢ H– Home quarantine of all the people living in the area.
➢ I– Isolation and tracing of people who have been first and second contacts.
➢ E– Essential supply of commodities is ensured.
➢ L– Local sanitisation of the area by authorities.
➢ D– Door-to-door health checks of everyone living in the area.
6. Which state Government has launched a new initiative “Food Bank” based on the theme ‘Help End Hunger Today’ _______ Manipur.
➢ The food bank will provide food items (such as rice, aata, maida, daal, edible oil, salt, potato, onions , milk, biscuits, packaged drinking water), hand sanitisers and face masks to drug rehabilitation centres and people living in Imphal East District affected by HIV (human immunodeficiency virus).
7. Which state government has launched an app called “COVIDCARE” ________Arunachal Pradesh.
➢ The newly developed “COVIDCARE” app is an effort of the Arunachal Pradesh government to combat COVID-19.
➢ The “COVIDCARE” app has been launched for the people who are quarantined, asymptomatic or COVID-19 patients, facilitating them various facilities through the app.
Important News – World
1. What amount has been announced by the aid agency USAID to India to fight against Coronavirus ________ USD 2.9 million.
➢ The funds announced are going to help India in its fight against COVID-19 and to also provide care for those who are affected and help the local communities with the tools to stop the pandemic spreading in the country.
➢ The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and other relevant agencies, is working closely with India to support the country’s response to the pandemic.
➢ The US Agency for International Development (USAID) is one of the leading aid agencies globally.
2. What amount has been allocated by the SAARC Development Fund for COVID-19 projects ________USD 5 million.
➢ The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Development Fund (SDF) has allocated USD 5 million (about Rs 38 crore) for COVID-19 projects in 8 member countries, in an effort to mitigate the financial losses and severe socio-economic impact of the pandemic.
3. Which country has become the world leader in international patent filings via WIPO’s Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) ________China.
➢ China has filled a total of 58,990 applications surpassing the United States (US), which was at top spot since the PCT began operations in 1978.
➢ It should be noted that for the third consecutive year, Chinese telecoms giant Huawei topped the global ranking in 2019 with 4,411 PCT applications.
➢ It was followed by Mitsubishi of Japan, which made 2,661 filings, Samsung of South Korea with 2,334 filings and Qualcomm of the US with 2,127 filings
4. Which organization has signed an memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Consumer Unity and Trust Society ________ UNIDO.
➢ The MoU, valid for 5 years, aims to create a joint technical co-operation initiatives to support ongoing activities in achieving the 2030 Sustainable Development Goal (SDG).
➢ As per the MoU, CUTS will support e-commerce as a platform to accelerate Member States’ transition to the digital economy and adapt to the 4th Industrial Revolution.
➢ Both the agencies also decided to implement a BRICS e-commerce project that will build upon the success of UNIDO’s pilot e-commerce project implemented in the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) countries from 2016 to 2018.
Honor & Awards
1. Who has been named as the leading cricketer of the world in 2020 by Wisden ________Ben Stokes.
➢ England’s all-rounder Ben Stokes has been named as the leading cricketer in the world 2020 by Wisden.
➢ Andrew Flintoff was the last English player to win the award in 2005. Ben Stokes was the hero of the Cricket World Cup 2019 final as he guided England to their maiden triumph in the 50-over showpiece tournament at Lord’s on July 14.
2. Which female cricketer has been named the Wisden’s Leading Female Cricketer in the World 2020 ________ Ellyse Perry.
➢ Australia’s Ellyse Perry has been named the Wisden’s Leading Female Cricketer in the World.
➢ Perry scored the highest runs and took the most wickets as Australia successfully retained their Women’s Ashes title against England last year.
1. What is India’s rank in the latest FIFA Ranking _______108th.
➢ According to the FIFA latest World Ranking 2020, released on April 09, 2020, Indian football team retained its 108th position with 1187 points.
➢ While Belgium ranked first and world champion France is in 2nd place and Brazil is at 3rd spot.
2. Which country will host Asian Boxing Championships 2020 in November 2020 _______ India.
➢ India will host the Women’s and Men’s Asian Boxing Championships 2020 in November-December as he expressed confidence that by then the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic would have been completely under control.
➢ However, the host city will be decided by BFI after things return to normal.
➢ India last hosted the Men’s Asian Championship in Mumbai,Maharashtra in the year 1980, while the Women’s Championship was hosted in 2003 in Hisar, Haryana.
➢ This competition is usually held once in two years but in the past it has also been held in consecutive years.