1. Which state topped in the Urban Governance Index released by the Praja Foundation recently __________ Odisha.
➢ According to the Urban Governance Index Odisha was followed by Maharashtra and Chhattisgarh. Delhi rank 13th in the list.
➢ The states were marked between 0 and 100 based on the themes empowered City administration, elected representatives and legislative structure and empowered citizens and physical empowerment.
➢ Maharashtra scored 55%, Odisha scored 56%. The Other top performers were Chhattisgarh with a score of 49.6 8%, Kerala with a score of 48.77% and Madhya Pradesh with the score of 45.9 4%.
2. Kanhalgaon will be the 50th wildlife sanctuary of which state ________ Maharashtra.
➢ With the addition of the state’s 50th wildlife sanctuary and 10 new conservation reserves (CR), Maharashtra has expanded its protected area network from 62 to 73 zones with over 10,000 sq km of the state now secured.
3. Which state/union territories has achieved the status of 100% organic region after Sikkim __________ Lakshadweep.
➢ The UT is second after Sikkim to achieve the status of 100% organic region. It is first in the Union Territories of India to achieve the status.
➢ The entire 32 sq km area of the UT has been certified as organic under the Union Government’s Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana (organic farming improvement programme).
4. Which state government has announced the construction of a deep sea port in Tajpur __________ West Bengal.
➢ Tajpur Deep Sea Port will be built at a cost of Rs 15,000 crore and will generate employment for 25,000 people. It will be the state’s first deep seaport.
➢ The concentration of iron and steel industries around Kharagpur will get a boost by having a port at their doorstep for exports.
5. Which state has launched “Livelihood Generation for Returned Migrant Workers project” to assist migrant workers who lost their job in the pandemic __________ Mizoram.
➢ The project will be funded by North East Council.
➢ Provide skill based training and entrepreneurship to over 2,600 workers through 7 components.
6. Which state government has recently launched a scheme to take the unique culture of its ethnic Tharu tribe across the world ________ Uttar Pradesh.
➢ The state government is working to connect Tharu villages in the districts of Balrampur, Bahraich, Lakhimpur and Pilibhit bordering Nepal, with the home stay scheme of the UP Forest Department.
➢ The idea is to offer tourists an experience of living in the natural Tharu habitat, in traditional huts made of grass collected mainly from the forests.
1. Which country will host the Special Annual Meeting 2021 of WEF in 2021 _________ Singapore.
➢ For the first time the WEF Special Annual meeting is taking place in Asia and the second time that meeting is being held outside Davos, Switzerland.
➢ The first meeting outside Davos, Switzerland was held in 2002 in New York.
2. Which International organisaztion has decided to introduce a prestigious ward “Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman” International Prize in the Field of Creative Economy” ________ UNICEF.
➢ The name of the award is “UNESCO-Bangladesh “Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman” International Prize in the Field of Creative Economy.”
➢ The award will be given every two years and the prize money will be US $50,000. It will be given for the first time in November next year at the 41st General meeting of UNESCO.
3. With which country India decided to establish a task force on energy _________ Qatar.
➢ This was announced after a telecall between Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas and Steel, Dharmendra Pradhan, and Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi, Qatar’s Minister of State for Energy Affairs and President and CEO Qatar Petroleum.
➢ Qatar is a reliable supplier of Liquefied Natural Gas and Liquefied Petroleum Gas.
4. The joint air force exercise "Shaheen (Eagle)-IX" was conducted between which two countries _________ Pakistan and China.
➢ Shaheen-IX is the ninth in the series of Joint Air Exercises which is conducted each year in both countries on alternate basis.
➢ The first such drill was held in Pakistan in March 2011.
➢ China and Pakistan share close military ties. China helps Pakistan to jointly produce JF-17 fighter jets and other armaments.
5. According to 11th Edition of Emissions Gap Report 2020 (Annual report) released by United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the Global Carbon Dioxide Emissions are set to fall by what per cent in 2020 owing to Pandemic _________ 7 per cent.
➢ The report states that emissions of the richest 1% of the Global Population (Countries like United States of America (USA), European Union (EU), Australia and New Zealand) account for more than twice of the share of poorest 50% of countries.
➢ Global GreenHouse Gas (GHG) emissions continued to rise in 2019. 52.4 GtCO2e (Gigatonnes of equivalent carbon dioxide) without land-use change (LUC) and 59.1 GtCO2e including LUC.
6. Which International organization has released the 2nd edition of “State of the Education Report for India 2020: Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET)” _________ United Nations Education Scientific & Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
➢ Over 400 representatives were participated that includes from the government, civil society, academia, partners and youth.
➢ The second edition of the State of Education Report focuses on technical and vocational education and training (TVET).
7. Which becomes the first Arabian country to establish Friendship Association with India ________ Oman.
➢ Oman’s Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad bin Hamood Al Busaidi held detailed dialogue with his Indian counterpart S Jaishankar on giving further momentum to strategic ties.
➢ The aim of the association to provide a platform that promotes friendship, understanding and matters of mutual interest between Oman and India business and social communities in the Sultanate.
8. Which country finds top position in Bloomberg New Energy Finance’s (BNEF) 2020 Climatescope survey ranking ___________ Chile.
➢ India has dropped to the second position in Bloomberg New Energy Finance’s (BNEF) 2020 Climatescope survey ranking from first last year, as a result of a decline in clean energy investment, which fell 12 per cent in 2018-19 to $8.5 billion and has plummeted 32 per cent since 2017.
1. Which agency has won the United Nations Investment Promotion Award 2020 _________ Invest India.
➢ The award ceremony took place at UNCTAD Headquarters in Geneva yesterday. The Award recognizes and celebrates the outstanding achievements of the World’s best-practice investment promotion agencies.
➢ The evaluation was based on UNCTAD’s assessment of work undertaken by 180 national Investment Promotion Agencies across the world.
2. Who has won the 3rd Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize 2020 for his novel, “The City and The Sea” __________ Raj Kamal Jha.
➢ Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the winner of the $5,000 prize was announced online in Copenhagen, Denmark.
➢ Jha’s book, which is based on the December 2012 Nirbhaya rape and murder case, was chosen from ten shortlisted books including Amitav Ghosh’s Gun Island, Nirmala Govindarajan’s Taboo and Ranjit Hoskote’s Jonahwhale.
3. Mondo Duplantis is associated with which country who has been named the male World Athletes of the Year at the World Athletics Awards 2020 _________ Sweden.
➢ Duplantis broke the world record in the pole vault twice, topping 6.17m and 6.18m on back-to-back weekends in February just a few weeks before the global coronavirus pandemic ground the sporting world to a halt. When competition finally resumed, Duplantis capped his season and produced the highest outdoor vault of all time (6.15m) and finished the year undefeated in 16 competitions.
4. Yulimar Rojas of which country has been named the female World Athletes of the Year at the World Athletics Awards 2020 __________ Venezuela.
➢ Rojas broke the South American indoor triple jump record in her first competition of the year, reaching 15.03m in Metz, France.
➢ In her next competition, at the World Athletics Indoor Tour meeting in Madrid, she leaped 15.43m in the final round of the competition to break the world indoor record by seven centimetres.
5. Who grabbed the No. 1 slot in the Forbes' ranking of 100 most powerful women in the world ________ Angela Merkel.
➢ Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, US Vice President-elect Kamala Harris, Biocon Founder Kiran MazumdarShaw and HCL Enterprise CEO Roshni Nadar Malhotra have been named among the world’s 100 most powerful women by Forbes.
➢ Sitharaman is ranked 41st on the list, Nadar Malhotra comes in at the 55th spot, Mazumdar-Shaw — described as “India”s richest self-made woman” — is ranked 68th and chairwoman of Landmark Group Renuka Jagtiani is ranked 98th.
6. Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has been ranked at what position in the Forbes' ranking of 100 most powerful women in the world _________ 41st.
➢ Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman is among the Forbes' ranking of 100 most powerful women in the world.
➢ German Chancellor Angela Merkel grabbed the No. 1 slot for the 10th consecutive year, with European Central Bank head Christine Lagarde coming in second for the second year in a row. US Vice President-elect Kamala Harris made the list for the first time—debuting in the No. 3 spot.
7. Dr. Carolina Araujo belongs to which country who has been conferred with ‘2020 Ramanujan Prize for Young Mathematicians’ for her significant work in algebraic geometry __________ Brazil.
➢ She is the first non-Indian women mathematician to receive this prize. She is from Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics, Brazil
➢ Ramdorai Sujatha from India was the first women to receive this award in 2006.
➢ It is given every year to young mathematicians who conducts outstanding research in developing nation.
8. Who has won the Social Entrepreneur of the Year (SEOY) Award – India 2020 instituted by the Schwab Foundation and Jubilant Bhartia Foundation ________ Ashraf Patel.
➢ It is the 11th edition of the annual award, instituted by the Schwab Foundation and Jubilant Bhartia Foundation in 2010.
➢ The award was presented by Union Minister of Women & Child Development & Textiles, Smriti Zubin Irani.
9. Who has been named the Time magazine’s “Person of the Year-2020” __________Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.
➢ U.S. President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris were jointly named Time magazine's 2020 "Person of the Year" chosen from a list of finalists that included President Donald Trump.
➢ The US president was named as Person of the Year in 2016 by Time.
10. Who become the number one South Asian celebrity on the Eastern Eye’s 50 Asian celebrities in the World list published by UK based Eastern Eye newspaper ________Sonu Sood.
➢ The 47-year-old talented Bollywood star has been honoured for his inspiring philanthropic work throughout the Covid-19 pandemic, especially helping migrant workers reach their hometowns.
➢ Canadian YouTuber, social media star, comedian and TV personality Lilly Singh came in second and Half-Indian British pop superstar, Charli XCX, was third in the list.
1. Which country will host the Asia Cup in June 2021 _________ Sri Lanka.
➢ As per the original schedule, the tournament was supposed to be hosted by Pakistan in 2020, however, it got postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
➢ Now the event has been moved forward to June 2021, with Sri Lanka Cricket taking the hosting rights from PCB.
➢ As compensation, PCB has got the hosting rights for the 2022 edition
2. Jehan Daruvala is associated with which sports who has created history becoming first Indian to win the game recently ______ Formula Race.
➢ This was the final race of the F2 season. The Formula 2 Championship is a second-tier single-seater racing championship.
➢ The 22-year-old Jehan Daruvala is currently a member of the Red Bull Junior Team and competes for Carlin Motorsport.
3. Paul Sein Twa belongs to which country who has won the ‘Goldman Environmental Prize 2020’ for Asia ______ Myanmar.
➢ Sein Twa received the prestigious prize along with five other grassroots environmental activists from the Bahamas, Ghana, Ecuador, Mexico and France.
➢ Dubbed the “Green Nobel Prize,” this award is given annually to environmental heroes from each of the world’s six inhabited continents.
4. Who has won the world heavyweight titles 2020 ______ Anthony Joshua.
➢ Anthony Joshua has retained his world heavyweight titles with a ninth-round knockout of Kubrat Pulev, potentially setting up an all-British fight against Tyson Fury to be undisputed champion of boxing's marquee division.
➢ Joshua had already knocked down Pulev three times when he unleashed a right hook that sent the 39-year-old Bulgarian to the canvas once again.
5. Who has won the year-ending Formula One the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2020 ______ Max Verstappen.
➢ Champions Mercedes completed the podium places in a processional race with Valtteri Bottas second and seven times world champion Lewis Hamilton third.
➢ The 23-year-old Verstappen had clinched a brilliant pole position and made a good start while Bottas comfortably held off Hamilton.
6. Who has won the FICCI sportsperson of the year award 2020 in male category ______ Bajrang Punia.
➢ Wrestler Bajrang Punia and Shooter Elavenil Valarivan received the highest honour “Sportsperson of the Year of Men & Female” Award respectively.
➢ Bajrang Punia, represents India in Freestyle Wrestling in 65 kg category.
7. Elavenil Valarivan associated with which sports who has won the FICCI sportsperson of the year award 2020 in female category ______ Shooting.
➢ Wrestler Bajrang Punia and Shooter Elavenil Valarivan received the highest honour “Sportsperson of the Year of Men & Female” Award respectively.
➢ Elavenil Valarivan Represents India in the sport of Shooting, She won gold medal in 2018 ISSF Junior World Cup, She won Silver medal at World University Games in 2019.She won Gold medal at World Cup Suhl in 2019 & she will represent India in Tokyo Olympics 2021.
8. Which country will host the Asia Cup Cricket Tournament in 2022 ______ Pakistan.
➢ In July 2020, Asia Cup’s Governing body, Asia Cricket Council (ACC) announced that the 2020 Edition of Asia Cup was cancelled due to Pandemic.
➢ The 2020 Edition was originally set to be hosted by Pakistan, as it was cancelled Pakistan were awarded to host the 2022 Edition as Compensation.
➢ Asia Cup is a men’s One Day International (ODI) & Twenty20 International Cricket Tournament.
9. Which event will make its debut at the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris and became a Medal Event ______ Breaking.
➢ Breaking will make its Olympic debut at the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris, while 3 other sports will make their Olympic debut at the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics to be held in July, 2021 (delayed due to COVID-19).
➢ The additional sports were proposed by the Paris 2024 Organising Committee.
1. Who has authored the book titled “Pioneer of Humanity: Maharishi Arvind” ______ Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank.
➢ The book is in Hindi with the title ‘Manavta ke Praneta Maharishi Arvind’.
➢ Shri Arvind was a person fully devoted to Indian culture, Indian values, Indian nationalism and Indian philosophy.
2. Who has authored the book titled ‘Romancing Targets’ ______ Nidhi Vadhera.
➢ In this book, Author Nidhi Vadhera shares with you a systematic approach to understand the sales process which will empower you to embrace sales targets and achieve results without getting burnt in the process.
3. The book titled “Dharma: Decoding the Epics for a Meaningful Life” has been authored by ______ Amish Tripathi.
➢ The book provides philosophical lessons extracted from the ancient Hindu Epics. The book is published by Westland Publications Pvt Ltd and set to release in December 2020.
➢ The book is presented in a form of conversation between the characters in modern day India, which offers various practical philosophical lessons from epics like “Maharabarat” and Amis’s books “the Shiva Trilogy” and “Ram Chandra Series”.
4. Who has released the book titled “The Shaurya Unbound-Tales of Valour of the CRPF” on the 19th anniversary of the attack on Indian Parliament ______ Om Birla.
➢ On the 19th Anniversary of the attack on Indian Parliament the Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla has released the book titled “The Shaurya Unbound-Tales of Valour of the Central Reserve Police Force”.
➢ It is a collection of 13 most exemplary acts of valour of CRPF brave hearts who were awarded with Chakras.
1. The researchers at which IIT have developed novel materials that can harvest water from humid air ______ IIT Guwahati.
➢ This method involves spraying a sponge-like porous polymeric material on a normal printer paper.
➢ As per the researchers, this method can also be used in underwater hulls of ships and submarines to prevent biofouling; and to prevent icing on aircraft windows.