Banking & Financial Awareness
1. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is going to conduct the Financial Literacy Week (FLW) 2020 from ____ February 10 – February 14, 2020.
➢ The week is based on the theme “Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs)”.
➢ The RBI will also launch a centralized mass media campaign in February 2020 to broadcast essential financial awareness messages to MSME entrepreneurs.
2. To combat the outbreak of novel coronavirus (nCoV) $2 million as funding approved by ____Asian Development Bank.
➢ The Asian Development Bank(ADB) has approved to sponsor $2 million as funding to combat the outbreak of novel coronavirus (nCoV).
➢ Under the funding, regional technical assistance will be provided in Cambodia, China, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam. ADB has also partnered with the World Health Organisation(WHO) and other regional experts to respond to the 2019 nCoV situation.
3. The Indian government has reported that it has been received remittance of ____ $118.3 billion.
➢ The Indian govt. has released data of remittances received in the country since April 2018- September 2019.
➢ As per the report around 13.62 million Indian nationals are staying abroad & around $118.3 billion has been received as remittance.
➢ The foreign countries in which a large number of Indians were living include Nepal, the Middle East region, the UK(United Kingdom), the US(United States), Malaysia and Germany.
4. The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) has doubled the minimum net worth criterion for pension fund managers to ____INR 50 crore.
➢ Now, pension funds are on par with mutual funds which have to meet a minimum net worth requirement of INR 50 crores, under SEBI (Securities and Exchange Board of India) rules.
➢ Provision has also been made for licenses to have indefinite validity. Earlier, the licenses of pension fund managers were granted for a period of 5 years.
➢ Now, the license will remain valid until cancelled by the regulator.
5. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has eased Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) requirement of commercial banks for ____5 years.
➢ In a major step to boost the credit growth, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has eased Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) requirement of commercial banks for 5- years.
➢ So now the banks would not be needed to maintain the cash reserve ratio (CRR) for 5- years on their deposits for the amount equivalent to loans lent to automobiles, residential housing, and micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) between 31 Jan-31 July, 2020 from their net demand and time liabilities (NDTL) for maintenance of the CRR.
6. As per the notified ‘Printing of One Rupee Currency Notes Rules, 2020, the currency note of rupees one will of colour of _____ pink green.
➢ The Union Ministry of Finance has notified ‘Printing of One Rupee Currency Notes Rules, 2020’ which will feature bilingual signature of Shri Atanu Chakraborty, Secretary, Ministry of Finance.
➢ It shall be rectangular 9.7 x 6.3 cms, with its paper made of 100% (cotton) rag content.
➢ ii.The note will be 110 microns thick, weighing 90 GSM (Grams per Square Meter).
➢ iii.The pink green colour note will have a design of grains, which depicts the “agricultural dominance of the country”.
7. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) published draft framework to set up new pan-India New Umbrella Entity for ____retail payment systems.
➢ The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) published draft framework to set up new pan-India New Umbrella Entity (NUE) for retail payment systems.
➢ It will be incorporated under the Companies Act, 2013 and will be given authorization by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) under Section 4 of the Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007 (PSS Act).
➢ RBI has invited comments on the draft framework from all stakeholders.
8. As per the Finance Minister at the end of September 2019 the public sector banks’ (PSBs) has recovered bad loan of rupees ______ INR 2.03 lakh crore.
➢ The public sector banks’ (PSBs) bad loans trimmed to ₹7.27 lakh crore at the end of September 2019 in comparison to ₹8.96 lakh crore at the end of March 2018.
➢ The information was provided by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on February 10, 2020.
9. The Indian Bank Association’s 15th Annual Banking Technology Conference, Expo and Awards 2020 held in _____Mumbai, Maharashtra.
10. At Indian Bank Association’s 15th Annual Banking Technology Conference ‘Most Customer Centric Bank Using Technology’ award won by ____ South Indian Bank.
➢ South Indian Bank emerged winner in the ‘Most Customer Centric Bank Using Technology’ category and runner up in the ‘Best Payments Initiative’ category for Small Banks.
➢ The awards were received by Mr. Raphael T J Chief General Manager (CGM) and Chief Information Officer (CIO) in south Indian bank and Mr. Sony A Joint General Manager (JGM) in south Indian bank
11. As per the The Banker’s ‘Top 500 Banking Brands 2020’ report, which Indian bank topped the list of ‘Highest increase in brand value’ among global banks ____IndusInd Bank.
➢ It’s brand value saw an increase of 122% over the past 12 months. The bank reported total assets of Rs 3.1 lakh crore at the end of Q3 FY20.
➢ As a part of the report, the list “Top 50 By Total Brand Value by Country” has been topped by China, followed by United States (US) at 2nd position while Canada and the United Kingdom (UK) ranked at 3rd and 4th spots. Japan has moved up to fifth spot.
➢ India ranked 8th in this list in comparison to 10th place in 2019.
12. The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) has revised its Global growth forecast for the year 2020 to ____2.2 percent.
➢ The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) has revised its Global growth forecast for the year 2020 to 2.2 percent from the previous 2.3 percent,
➢ It is because of the Impact in Global market created by Novel coronavirus outbreak in China and also the virus starts spreading globally to put barrier for this.
13. “We Think Digital” Programme to provide digital literacy training to 1 lakh women launched by ____ Facebook.
➢ Facebook launched “We Think Digital” Programme to provide digital literacy training to 1 lakh women across 7 states, including Uttar Pradesh (UP),West Bengal & Bihar.
➢ It has been launched in partnership with National Commission for Women (NCW) and Cyber Peace Foundation.
14. To expand its Unified Payment Interface (UPI) services to 10 million users, the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has permitted ____WhatsApp.
➢ National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has permitted the instant messaging platform WhatsApp to expand its Unified Payment Interface (UPI) services to 10 million users.
➢ “WhatsApp Pay”, a payment feature of WhatsApp has been designed to run on Unified Payment Interface (UPI). The UPI is developed by the National Payments Corporation of India.
➢ This facility enables the users do business transactions or to pay others directly through their bank accounts.
1. Name the noted American author who passed way recently, _____Roger Kahn.
➢ American author Roger Kahn, known for his best-selling book in 1972 “The Boys of Summer” passed away at Nursing home in Mamaroneck, New York, U.S due to age related ailments announced by his son Gordon Jacques Kahn.
➢ Kahn wrote at least 20 books in his lifetime. In 1989 he collaborated with Pete Rose for the Biography of legendary Boxer Jack Dempsey before Jack gets banned from the game.
2. Name the Famous cricket journalist and film historian who passed away recently, _____Raju Bharatan.
➢ Famous cricket journalist and film historian Raju Bharatan, 86 years old, passed away at Mumbai, Maharashtra.
➢ He is also the writer for The hindu and Sportstar and also a popular radio commentator for India’s cricket matches.
3. Giriraj Kishore passed away recently was a famous ____Hindi Novelist.
➢ Giriraj Kishore was best known for his novel “Pehla Girmitiya” (for which he received Padma Shri in 2007) and “Dhai Ghar”.
➢ He was awarded Padma Shri by President of India in 2007, Sahitya Akademi award in 1992, Vyas Samman in 2000 & an honorary Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) from Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj University in 2002.
4. Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) Veteran, Orator and Philosophical Author passed away ____ P.Parameswaran.
➢ He established Bharatheeya Vichara Kendram in 1982. He served as editor in magazines Kesari, Manthan, Yuva Bharathi and Vivekananda Kendra patriika. He also served as President of Vivekananda Kendra.
➢ ii.Parameswaran has authored books on Indian Philosophy and society. He has written around 21 books, ‘Marx and Vivekananda: A comparative study’ and ‘From Marx to Maharshi and Bhagavad Gita – Vision of a New World Order’ were popular among them.
5. Nandu R Kulkarani, 70 years old, passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra, he was a famous ___ Journalist.
➢ He was the bureau chief of the Kolkata- based newspaper “The Statesman” in 1992 & also reported on a wide range of subjects including politics & business.
➢ Nandu Kulkarni started his career with “The Indian Express” in 1976 & reported on economic offenses.
6. Renowned personality Wendell Rodricks passed away in Goa, he was a famous ____ Fashion designer.
➢ Famous Indian Fashion designer Wendell Rodricks, 59 years old, passed away at Colvale, Goa. He was born on 28th May 1960 in Goa.
➢ Wendell Rodricks was awarded with Padma Shri in 2014 and also Chevalier de L’ordre des Arts et lettres by the French Ministry of Culture in 2015.
➢ ii.He had also authored books namely: “Moda Goa- History & Style”, “The Green room”, “Poskem: Goans in the shadows”.
1. The National Deworming Day (NDD) was observed across the country on ____
➢ The day was organized by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW).This will be followed by the mop-up day on February 17, 2020.
➢ The objective of the day is to deworm children and adolescents to reduce the prevalence of parasitic worms in the intestine.
2. TheWorld Pulses Day was observed on ____ Feb 10, 2020.
➢ World Pulses day was established by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations to recognize the importance of pulses (dry beans, lentils, dry peas, chickpeas, lupins) as global food.
➢ World Pulses day has been designated on Feb 10 every year since 2019 by the 73rd session of the United Nations (UN) General Assembly on December 20, 2018.
3. International Day of Women and Girls in Science was observed on ______February 11, 2020.
➢ The day was celebrated to achieve equal participation & access to womens and girls in science.
➢ The theme of this year is “Investment in Women and Girls in Science for Inclusive Green Growth”.
➢ The theme aims to encourage women and girls to opt for science.
4. The World Unani Day was celebrated on ____February 11, 2020.
➢ The day marks the birthday of great Unani scholar and social reformer “Hakim Ajmal Khan”.
➢ Defence Minister Shri Rajnath Singh was the chief guest of the 4th Unani day function organized by AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy) Ministry, New Delhi, India.
5. National Productivity Day 2020 was observed on _____February 12, 2020.
➢ National Productivity day was observed on february 12 annually to increase the productivity culture in India.
➢ The day commemorates the foundation of the National Productivity Council (NPC) and Productivity week will be celebrated from (Feb 12 to Feb 18, 2020).
➢ National Productivity Council (NPC) comes under the Ministry of Commerce & Industry.
➢ NPC increases productivity, competitiveness, profits, augments safety and ensures better quality.
6. To commemorate the birth anniversary of the father of evolutionary biology Darwin Day was observed on ____12th February.
➢ Darwin Day was celebrated to commemorate the birth anniversary of the father of evolutionary biology, Charles Darwin.
➢ He was born 12 February, 1809 at Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England.
➢ This year on 12th February has marked the 211th birth anniversary of the Charles Darwin.
7. The World Radio Day (WRD) was observed on ____ February 13, 2020.
➢ World Radio Day (WRD) is celebrated all over the world with the theme “Radio and Diversity”.
➢ The day aims to highlights the unique power of radio which connects lives and brings people together from across the world.
➢ In the year 1924, Radio was 1st introduced to India by Madras Presidency Club.
8. The National Women’s day was observed on _____February 13, 2020.
➢ To commemorate the birth anniversary of independence activist, Sarojini Naidu (also named Nightingale of India), every year India observes February 13 as it’s National Women’s day.
➢ She was born in 13 February 1879 in Hyderabad British India (now in Telangana, India). It should be noted that the International Women’s Day is observed on 8th March annually.
1. Who has been appointed as the new high commissioner of Great Britain to India ____ Philip Robert Barton.
➢ The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) of Great Britain announced that it has appointed Philip Robert Barton KCMG OBE (Knight Commander order of British Empire) as its new high commissioner of Great Britain to India, He will Replace Sir Dominic Anthony Gerard Asquith KCMG and will take charge on Spring Season.
➢ Currently Barton serving as Director-General, consular and Security at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
2. Who will sworn in as new chief minister of Delhi ____Arvind Kejriwal.
➢ Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) party leader Shri Arvind Kejriwal, 51 years old, to be sworn as Chief Minister (CM) of New Delhi on February 16, 2020 at Ramlila Maidan, Delhi, with his cabinet members. He was CM of Delhi for consecutively 3 times during the period of 2013, 2015 and 2020.
➢ The party sent a letter to the Lieutenant Governor Shri Anil Baijal staking claim to form the government.
3. Who has been appointed as the Director of Cricket of the UAE _____ Robin Singh.
➢ Former India all-rounder Robindra Ramnarine Singh, 56 years old, appointed Director of Cricket of the UAE(United Arab Emirates).
➢ He was appointed by Emirates Cricket Board after the dismissal of head coach Douglas Robert Brown.
4. Who has been elected as the President of All-India Chess Federation (AICF) _____ Ajay H. Patel.
➢ Ajay H. Patel was elected unopposed as the President of All-India Chess Federation (AICF) by Justice Fakkir Mohamed Ibrahim Kalifulla, returning officer for the AICF & former Supreme Court (SC) judge.
➢ Other persons who were elected unopposed to AICF are Bharat Singh Chauhan as the Secretary, Naresh Sharma as Treasurer, M. Arun Singh as Joint Secretary and Vipnesh Bharadwaj as Vice President.
5. Who has been appointed as the President of the Institute of Chartered Accountants (ICAI) for the year 2020-21 _____ Atul Kumar Gupta.
➢ Nihar Niranjan Jambusaria has been elected as the Vice President of the ICAI for 2020
21. They were elected at a meeting of the central council in New Delhi.
➢ Atul Gupta, who has served the chartered accountancy profession for about two decades, was the Vice President of ICAI for the term 2019-20. He is a commerce and a law graduate by education.
Important News – India
1. The Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs has launched Ease of Living Index (EoLI) 2019 to assess quality of life of citizens in _____100 Smart Cities.
➢ The Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA), has launched, two Assessment Frameworks, viz. Ease of Living Index (EoLI) and Municipal Performance Index (MPI) 2019 to assess quality of life of citizens in 100 Smart Cities and 14 other Million Plus Cities.
➢ This will empower the cities to use evidence to plan, implement them & then monitor their performance.
2. Under the Amended Technology Upgradation Fund Scheme (ATUFS) the Union Government has released a total of ____ Rs. 6,717.18 crore.
➢ During the period of 2015-16 to 2019-20, the Centre has released a total of Rs 6,717.18 crore under the Amended Technology Upgradation Fund Scheme (ATUFS).
➢ A total of 9,641 applications, covering employment of 2.86 lakh persons and investment of Rs. 40026.5 crore submitted by textile units, have been issued with UIDs (unique identification numbers) till January 2020.
➢ This information has been given by textiles minister Smriti Irani as a part of competitiveness of the textile industry.
3. Which Metro Rail Network becomes India’s 2nd largest Metro Rail Network of total operational distance of 69.2kms ____Hyderabad Metro.
➢ The metro route connecting twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad was inaugurated by the Chief Minister of Telangana State Mr. K.Chandrashekhar Rao.
➢ The new Metro line from Jubilee Bus Station (JBS) to Mahatma Gandhi Bus Station (MGBS) will cover a distance of 11-kms (Kilometers).
➢ It becomes India’s 2nd largest Metro Rail Network of total operational distance of 69.2kms, only next to Delhi Metro Rail Network having an operational distance of 231kms.
4. As of January 1,2020, according to the Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Shri.Dharmendra Debendra Pradhan, the LPG coverage has reached ____ 96.9%.
➢ According to the Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Shri.Dharmendra Debendra Pradhan, a total of about 27.5 crore LPG or cooking gas connections are in India.
➢ Out of this, 8 crore connections have been provided under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) scheme.
➢ Also, the LPG coverage has reached 96.9 % as of January 1,2020.
5. The 4th edition of East Asia Summit Conference on Maritime Security Cooperation 2020 was held in ____Chennai , Tamil Nadu.
➢ The conference was jointly organised by the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Government of India (GoI) in association with the governments of Australia and Indonesia.
➢ The knowledge partners of the Conference include National Maritime Foundation (NMF) and the Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS).
➢ The previous 3 editions of the EAS Maritime Security Conferences organised by the Indian government were held at New Delhi in November 2015, Goa in November 2016 and Bhubaneswar in June 2018.
6. For the first time the Hornbill festival was celebrated in ____Tripura.
➢ Chief Minister (CM) Biplab Kumar Dev inaugurated the 2 day hornbill festival at Baramura hill (in western tripura).
➢ The aim of the festival is to raise awareness among people for bird conservation & to boost tourism.
➢ The Hornbill festival is a celebration held every year from December 1 to 10, in Nagaland, Northeast India. It is also called the ‘Festival of Festivals’.
➢ Arunachal Pradesh & Manipur also started organising Hornbill festival following Nagaland.
7. 13th Conference of Parties (COP) of the Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species (CMS) of Wild Animals, was hosted by India at _____ Gandhinagar in Gujarat.
➢ It is an Environment Treaty Supported by United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
➢ logo is to Portray Important Migratory Species in India like Amur falcon, Humpback Whale and Marine Turtles,
➢ the Great Indian Bustard (Gibi) is chosen as official Mascot.
➢ The theme for the CMS COP 13 in India is, “Migratory species connect the planet and we welcome them Home”.
8. The 11th edition of the Biennial Mega Defence Exhibition “DefExpo 2020” held in ____Lucknow.
➢ The 11th edition of DefExpo-2020, organized by Department of Defence Production, Ministry of Defence with a support of Government of Uttar Pradesh (UP) was held in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh (UP) for the first time from 5th to 9th Feb 2020.
➢ It’s main theme was “India: The Emerging Defence Manufacturing Hub” with focus on “Digital Transformation of Defence”.
➢ This expo is also termed as “Mahakumbh of defence manufacturing companies”. The last two days of the expo was opened for public.
9. The “2nd BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise-2020 (BIMSTEC DMEx-2020)” was held at ____Bhubaneswar/Puri, Odisha.
➢ The themes of the exercise was “A cultural heritage site that suffers severe damage in the Earthquake” & “Flooding or Storm”.
➢ Organized by National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), on behalf of the Government of India, BIMSTEC DMEx-2020 was inaugurated by Chief Minister Odisha, Shri Naveen Patnaik.
➢ The first similar kind of exercise took place in 2017.
10. The theme of the 20th ‘Hunar Haat’, an initiative of the Minority Affairs Ministry is ___ “Kaushal Ko Kaam”.
➢ The 20th ‘Hunar Haat’, an initiative of the Minority Affairs Ministry, showcases handmade indigenous products of master artisans and craftsmen are made available to the people, will be held from February 13-23, 2020 based on the theme of “Kaushal Ko Kaam” at India Gate Lawns, Rajpath, New Delhi.
11. The Government of India decided to renamed the National Institute of Financial Management (NIFM), Faridabad, after ___Arun Jaitley.
➢ The Government of India decided to rename the National Institute of Financial Management (NIFM), Faridabad, Haryana, as “Arun Jaitley National Institute of Financial Management (AJNIFM)” .
➢ NIFM, Faridabad was set up in 1993 as a registered society under the Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance, which train officers of various finance & accounts service recruited by the UPSC.
12. The “CLIMISHCON” is a Four-day International Conference on changes in Hydrological cycle, Ocean ecosystem, Fisheries and Food security will be held in _____ Kochi, Kerala.
➢ The “CLIMISHCON” is a Four-day International Conference on changes in Hydrological cycle, Ocean ecosystem, Fisheries and Food security due to Global climate change.
➢ The theme of the conference is ‘Climate Change-Effective Adaptation for a Secure Future’.
13. India’s largest air quality monitoring network will be established at _____ Mumbai.
➢ The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) will develop an air quality monitoring network across 90 locations in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It will be the largest network in India.
➢ The project will be completed within next 5 years, funded by BMC and private organisations.
14. The National Water Conference was held at _____Bhopal.
➢ The Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh Shri Kamal Nath has inaugurated the National water conference at Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
➢ The conference is being held to finalize the guidelines of “Right to Water Act” or “Water Rights Act” and also discussed the water crisis in the state and also making the state a water-rich state.
15. The BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) ‘Conference on Combating Drug Trafficking’ was held in ____New Delhi.
➢ The Union Minister for Home Affairs, Shri Amit Shah inaugurated the two-day long BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) ‘Conference on Combating Drug Trafficking’, in New Delhi.
➢ It was organized by Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), Ministry of Home Affairs.
➢ This conference was held on the lines of the commitment made by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the 4th BIMSTEC summit in Nepal’s Kathmandu in 2018.
16. The Anti-hijack exercise was conducted at ____ Visakhapatnam Airport, Andhra Pradesh.
➢ The Anti-hijack exercise was conducted on February 12,2020 by creating a mock situation using a naval Dornier aircraft by INS Dega, (a naval air station of the Indian navy) at Visakhapatnam Airport, Andhra Pradesh and the main objective of the exercise was to test the plans and procedures handled by various agencies during hijack threats.
17. The Ministry of External Affairs, announced that two Institutions, the Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra and the Foregin Service Institute have been named after ___Sushma Swaraj.
➢ The Ministry of External Affairs, announced that two Institutions, The Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra and The Foregin Service Institute have been named after former Indian Diplomat Sushma Swaraj for her Invaluable contribution in Public Service.
➢ The announcement is being made on her 68th Birth Anniversary falling on February 14,2020.
18. To give passengers the experience of world class facilities the Indian Railways has planned to prepare 5- Star Hotel on the tracks in ____Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
➢ The Indian Railways has planned to prepare 5- Star Hotel on the tracks in Gandhinagar railway station of Gujarat to give passengers the experience of world class facilities.
➢ This will be the first experiment in India.
➢ The hotel, being built by the famous hotel chain Leela Group, could be completed by December 2020.
19. Name the Vice-President of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam who visited India ____ Mrs. Dang Thai Ngoc Thinh.
➢ During the visit she held bilateral delegation-level talks with Vice President of India, Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu.
➢ They agreed to strengthen the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership established in 2016 between the two countries.
➢ The Joint Inauguration of the launch of direct flights between India & Vietnam was held at New Delhi. Both sides also inked an agreement to open a resident office of Voice of Vietnam in New Delhi.
20. What is the name of the project to channelize economic activity along Ganga river bank ____ ‘Arth Ganga’.
➢ According to Shri Mansukh Mandaviya, Minister of State for Shipping (Independent Charge), Chemical, and Fertilizers, ‘Arth Ganga’ project implies a sustainable development model with a focus on economic activities along its Ganga bank.
➢ Around half of the Indian population lives around the Ganges River belt.In addition, of India’s total freight, about 1/5th originates and 1/3rd terminates in the states around Ganges Belt.