Important News – India
1. The Union government has approved the release of how many Crores to seven states as assistance for the damage caused due to various disasters in 2019___ Rs. 5,908.56 crore.
➢ States include Uttar Pradesh, Karnataka, Assam, Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, and Tripura.
➢ The relief amount is given under the additional central assistance to seven states from the National Disaster Response Fund (NDRF) in a High-Level Committee meeting in New Delhi.
2. Indian Navy has launched an expedition, to promote the maritime heritage of India in the Naval Dockyard____ Mumbai.Maharashtra.
➢ The expedition extends from Arnala fort, Northernmost fort of Maharashtra to Sindhudurg fort, the southernmost fort of Maharashtra, covering more than 555 km.
➢ The expedition will be held until 11th January.
3. South Korean automobile manufacturer has entered into a partnership with US ride-hailing giant Uber to produce electric air taxis___ Hyundai Motor Company.
➢ Hyundai also unveiled a new full-scale concept PAV (personal air vehicle), developed jointly with Uber, at the ongoing Consumer Electronics Show 2020.
➢ Hyundai is the first automotive company to join the Uber Elevate initiative.
➢ Under the partnership, Hyundai will produce and deploy the air vehicles and Uber will provide airspace support services, connections to ground transportation and customer interfaces through an aerial rideshare network.
4. Union Home Minister Amit Shah has released a book on the life of Prime Minister Narendra Modi__Karmayoddha Granth.
➢ The Home Minister addressed the gathering at the launch and said that the qualities of a Karmayoddha such as a beautiful heart for people, a statesman, a hard taskmaster, an able administrator and an ideal leader who leads by example, are represented by Narendra Modi.
5. Global Investors Meet ‘ASCEND 2020’ will be held in ____Kochi, Kerala.
➢ The Kerala government will highlight the 18 mega projects in the meet including Kochi-to-Palakkad integrated manufacturing cluster, a defence park at Ottapalam and an electronic hardware park in Ernakulam.
➢ The meet will also see organizers showcasing 70-odd other projects classified as large, medium and small in the descending order of their capital investment.
➢ The meet will be organized by the Industries Department of Kerala.
6. The 31st International Kite Festival was inaugurated at _____Sabarmati Riverfront, Ahmedabad.
➢ As a part of the official celebration of 'Uttarayan' or 'Makar Sankranti', Ahmedabad has been hosting the International Kite Festival since 1989.
➢ The festival will continue till January 13 at Sabarmati Riverfront.
➢ 150 kitists from India and abroad are participating in the event
7. ‘Census India-2021’ will begin on _____1st of April 2020.
➢ It will be conducted through a mobile phone application, moving away from the traditional pen and paper.
➢ The reference date will be 1st March 2021 in most of the country and 1 October 2020 for Jammu and Kashmir and some areas of Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
➢ The Indian Census is the largest single source of a variety of statistical information on different
8. Amit Shah has inaugurated the Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C) and dedicated National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal______www.cybercrime.gov.in.
➢ National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal is a citizen-centric initiative that will enable citizens to report cyber-crimes online through the portal.
➢ It enables filing of all cyber-crimes with a specific focus on crimes against women, children, particularly child pornography, child sex abuse material, online content pertaining to rapes.
➢ All the cyber-crime related complaints will be accessed by the concerned law enforcement agencies in the States and Union Territories for acting as per law.
9. Power Minister R K Singh has released the _____State Energy Efficiency Index 2019.
➢ They track the progress of Energy Efficiency Initiatives in 36 States and Union Territories.
➢ The index this year incorporates qualitative, quantitative and outcome-based indicators to assess energy efficiency initiatives, programs and outcomes in five distinct sectors.
➢ The index is developed by Bureau of Energy Efficiency in association with Alliance for an Energy-Efficient Economy.
10. The fifth edition of the Pulses Conclave will be held in Lonavala, Maharashtra from ___ 12-14 February 2020.
➢ IPGA expects close to 1500 trade stakeholders from India and key pulses exporting countries like USA, Australia, Canada, Myanmar, Ethiopia, Uganda, Tanzania, Mozambique, Malawi.
➢ IPGA is the nodal body for the country's pulses trade and industry.
➢ The conference aims at increasing exports, processing efficiencies, protein extraction, value addition and post-harvest management.
11. The Ministry of Steel will launch a world-class steel hub__Purvodaya.
➢ The hub aims at an accelerated development programme of eastern states.
➢ The Ministry will be joined by CII (Confederation of India Industries) in the implementation of “Purvodaya”.
12. Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray will inaugurate 'Advantage Maharashtra Expo 2020' in ____Aurangabad.
➢ The four-day mega industrial exhibition has been organized by the Marathwada Association of Small Scale Industries and Agriculture (MASSIA).
➢ Growth of Marathwada industries in technology and innovation and the products produced and exported from the region will be showcased in this exhibition.
➢ This exhibition will provide the opportunity for ambitious businesses and will serve as the platform for small entrepreneurs.
13. The Union Cabinet has approved a proposal to provide Rs 5,559 crore viability gap funding for building a 1,656 km gas grid in the ____Northeast region.
➢ The funding will be provided to Indradhanush Gas Grid Ltd for setting up the North-East Natural Gas Pipeline Grid.
➢ The gas pipeline would be developed in 8 states of the northeast; this will lead to the development of an industrial climate in these states and improvement in the standard of living of people in the region.
14. India’s first indigenous aircraft carrier Vikrant likely to be commissioned by ____2021.
➢ This carrier is being built at the Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) in Kochi.
➢ According to Navy Chief Admiral Karambir Singh, Vikrant will be fully operational by 2022 and it will have a fleet of MiG-29K aircraft
15. Union Steel Minister Dharmendra Pradhan has launched a mission to accelerated development of eastern India through integrated steel hub _____Mission Purvodaya.
➢ Under the mission, the government will enhance capacity through easing the setup of greenfield steel plants, develop steel clusters near integrated steel plants as well as demand centers.
16. Narendra Modi has announced to rename the Kolkata Port Trust after ____ Shyama Prasad Mukherjee.
➢ The announcement was made on the 150th anniversary of the historic Kolkata Port Trust.
➢ The event was also attended by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. He dedicated a Commemorative Stamp to mark 150 years of Kolkata port trust to the nation.
➢ The Kaushal Vikas Kendra and Pritilata Chhatri Avas for 200 tribal girl students from Sundarbans were also inaugurated during the event.
17. ‘Wings India 2020’ to be held at Begumpet Airport Hyderabad in ____March 2020
➢ Biennial International Exhibition and Conference on Civil Aviation Sector, ‘Wings India 2020’ will be held at Begumpet Airport in Hyderabad, Telangana from March 12-15, 2020.
➢ The theme of the exhibition is “Flying for all”.
18. The World Future Energy Summit 2020 held in ___ Abu Dhabi.
➢ The four-day annual Summit is dedicated to advancing future energy, clean technologies, and energy efficiency.
➢ The theme for this year's summit is "Rethinking Global Consumption, Production, and Investment." World Future Energy Summit is the Middle East’s largest future energy and sustainability event.
19. Who has been included in 8 wonders of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO)__ The Statue of Unity.
➢ The Statue of Unity is the statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the first Home Minister of independent India.
➢ The 182-meter tall statue is the world’s tallest statue that was inaugurated by PM Modi on the 143rd birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel in October 2018.
➢ The statue was inaugurated on the 143rd birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel in 2018.
20. Who has developed a special class diesel conforming to NATO grade for use in ships and vessels of the Indian Navy __ Indian Oil Corp (IOC).
➢ Vice Admiral G S Pabby launched the Upgraded High Flash High-Speed Diesel (HFHSD- IN 512) in New Delhi.
21. The Henley Passport Index 2020 was released by____ Henley & Partners.
➢ The report is being published every year based on the data obtained from the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
➢ According to the index, Indian passport ranked at the 84th spot among the world’s most powerful passports list, which is a drop by 2 places as it ranked 82nd in 2019.
22. Who has released a survey that ranks the world's fastest-growing urban regions/fastest-growing cities in the world___ The Economic Intelligence Unit (EIU).
23. Who will host the International naval exercise ‘MILAN’ in March 2020__ Vishakhapatnam
➢ The theme of the exercise for the year 2020 is ‘Synergy Across the Seas’.
➢ The Milan exercise which will be hosted by Eastern Naval Command (ENC) the objective of this exercise is to enhance professional interaction between foreign navies and also make use of the best practices in the maritime domain.
➢ India has invited 41 navies of different countries of which 30 navies have confirmed their participation in MILAN 2020.
24. The 27th edition of South Asian Trade and Travel Exchange Expo (SATTE) 2020 was held at India Expo Mart ___Greater Noida – Delhi NCR.
➢ It is an annual three-day B2B trade show designed to bring together the key travel industry leaders in the region.
➢ It convenes Indian & International exhibitors and buyers to forge new partnerships and strengthen the business.
Important News – State
1. Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur has launched a portal to strengthen public participation in governance___ Himachal MyGov portal.
➢ He also launched the Chief Minister App.
➢ MyGov Himachal would help people to communicate their views, suggestions, feedback as well as discontentment if any.
➢ MyGov Himachal Portal and Chief Minister App would bring the administration closer to people and ensure two-way communication between the government and the people.
➢ Himachal with the launch of this app has become the 11th state to have this facility.
2. As per the report released by the National Health Systems Resource Centre (NHSRC), Who has registered the highest Inpatient Department, IPD care in the country___ Jammu and Kashmir.
➢ As per the report, the 96 percent IPD care in rural areas of J&K is provided by Public Health Facilities which is highest against the country’s average of 85 percent.
➢ In 2016, Jammu and Kashmir had surpassed Kerala as the state with the highest life expectancy in India for all ages, barring life expectancy at birth.
3. The Gujarat govt. has announced to set up Vikram Sarabhai Children Innovation Center (VSCIC) in ______Gandhinagar.
➢ Vikram Sarabhai Children Innovation Center (VSCIC) will identify, nurture and promote children’s innovation in the state.
➢ Children’s Innovation Festival has been organized by Gujarat University Start-ups and Entrepreneurship Council (GUSEC).
4. The fourth 'Buxa Bird Festival' has begun in Buxa National Park in _____Alipurduar, West Bengal.
➢ Over 50 birdwatchers from across the country and abroad have registered for the 2020 edition of the four-day festival.
➢ More than 300 rare species including the Great Hornbill, Sultan Tit and Greater Spotted Eagle visit the national park during this period.
➢ Bird enthusiasts watch and click photographs of the migratory birds that come from colder regions in the northern hemisphere.
5. The famous chariot festival of the Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple is being held in ____ Tamil Nadu
➢ The ten-day annual festival is held in the Tamil month falling in December - January.
➢ The temple is especially significant because it is sacred to both the Shaivite as well as Vaishnavite sects.
➢ This 17th-century temple is famous for its architectural grandeur.
6. Union Home Minister Amit Shah has inaugurated the country's first Cyber Crime Prevention Unit ___AASHVAST.
➢ He also launched Video Integration and StateWide Advance Security-VISWAS project.
➢ The Cyber Crime Prevention Unit-AASHVAST will have a dedicated service helpline for victims of cyber-crimes
Important News – World
1. Iranian Parliament has approved a triple-urgency bill that designates the US army and the Pentagon as a ____Terrorist entity.
➢ Iran's IRGC's Quds Force Commander General Soleimani and Iraq's Popular Forces Commander Abu Mahdi al-Modandis, as well as eight other military men, were killed by the US Army.
➢ 233 MPs repeated the words of the speaker, Ali Larijani, warning US President Donald Trump to await the consequences of his actions.
2. Cabinet approves 'In Principle' strategic disinvestment of equity shareholding of 4 PSUs in ___ Neelachal.
➢ The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has given 'in principle' approval for strategic disinvestment of equity shareholding in 4 Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs) & 2 Odisha State PSUs in Neelachal Ispat Nigam Limited (NINL).
➢ The 4 CPSEs includes Minerals & Metals Trading Corporation (MMTC), MECON, Bharat Heavy Electricals (BHEL) and National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC).
3. The first phase of the world’s second-largest Muslim congregation after Haj began on the outskirts of___ Dhaka.
➢ Thousands of devotees from Bangladesh and abroad are thronging the bank of river Turag at Tongi near Dhaka to participate in the congregation called Bishwa Ijtema.
Honor & Awards
1. Two youth leaders from Bihar included in the Forbes India list of 20 people to watch in the 2020s__ Kanhaiya Kumar & Prashant Kishor
➢ Kanhaiya Kumar finds 12th position in the list while Prashant Kishor is at 16th position.
➢ Prashant Kishor is Janata Dal (United) National Vice President while Kanhaiya Kumar is former President of Jawaharlal Nehru University Students Union.
➢ Indian origin US-born political commentator Hasan Minhaj is on the 1st position while Keyna’s Marathon runner Eliud Kipchoge in on the 20th place.
2. India-born author has bagged a coveted United Kingdom’s Costa Children’s Award 2019’__Jasbinder Bilan.
➢ She won the award for her debut novel ‘Asha and the Spirit Bird’.
➢ ''Asha and the Spirit Bird'', aimed at readers aged nine years and above, beat competition from three other shortlisted books to be named the winner of the 2019 Costa Children's Award this week.
➢ Jasbinder’s novel was shortlisted from 144 other entries.
3. Status of Institution of National Importance to a cluster of Ayurvedic institutions at the Gujarat Ayurved University campus in___ Jamnagar.
➢ The elevation of the status of the institution will provide it with the autonomy to upgrade the standard of Ayurveda education, frame various courses in Ayurveda as per national and international demand.
➢ It will help the institute to develop tertiary care in Ayurveda and to secure inter-disciplinary collaborations to give a contemporary thrust to Ayurveda.
4. India-born author has bagged a coveted UK children's book award for her debut novel___ Jasbinder Bilan.
➢ Her novel, 'Asha and the Spirit Bird', aimed at readers aged nine years and above, beat competition from three other shortlisted books to be named the winner of the 2019 Costa Children's Award this week.
➢ Bilan will receive 5,000 pounds as the winner of the award.
➢ The award is open to authors resident in the UK and Ireland and presented annually across five categories of First Novel, Novel, Biography, Poetry and Children's Book.
5. Indian pacer will receive the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)’s Polly Umrigar Award __ Jasprit Bumrah.
➢ Currently he ranked as the world no.1 ODI bowler, Bumrah had made his Test debut during India’s tour of South Africa in January 2018.
➢ He has picked up five-wicket hauls in South Africa, England, Australia, and the West Indies to become the first and only Asian bowler to achieve the milestone.
➢ Leg-spinner Poonam Yadav will be given the best international cricketer (women) award.
6. India's flagship global conference on geopolitics and geo-economics Raisina Dialogue has begun in ___New Delhi.
➢ Prime Minister Narendra Modi attended the inaugural session at which seven former heads of state or government will share their views on important challenges facing the world.
➢ Raisina Dialogue(fifth edition) jointly organized by the Ministry of External Affairs and the Observer Research Foundation.
1. World Cup winner Italian retires from football ___ Daniele De Rossi.
➢ The Italian midfielder Daniele De Rossi (37-year-old) announced his decision to retire from football in order to spend more time with his family.
➢ Daniele De Rossi also earned 117 caps for Italy at the senior level, winning the FIFA World Cup in 2006.
➢ In an 18-year of his career, he made 616 appearances and scored 63 goals, winning two Coppa Italia titles
2. Weightlifter has been slapped with a four-year ban for doping by the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA)__ Sarbjeet Kaur.
➢ The sample of Sarbjeet, who won the 71kg event at the women’s national weightlifting championships in February last year, was collected during 34th Women Senior National Weightlifting Championship held at Vishakhapatnam.
➢ “The Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel has found weightlifter Sarbjeet Kaur guilty of anti-doping rule violation. She has been imposed a penalty of ineligibility for a period of four years.
3. Japanese badminton player has won the Malaysia Masters 2020___ Kento Momota.
➢ He defeated Denmark's Viktor Axelsen 24-22, 21-11.
➢ The victory in Malaysia lends credence to Momota's drive to win the gold in July's Tokyo Olympics.
➢ The reigning world champion told reporters that his eyes more success in 2020.
➢ Momota, currently the best player on the planet, won a record 11 titles last year.
4. Who has won the inaugural 2020 ATP Cup tennis tournament in Sydney___Serbia.
➢ Djokovic (World No. 2) claimed a straight-sets victory over Rafael Nadal (World No. 1) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4) in singles.
➢ In doubles, Djokovic and Viktor Troicki claimed 6-3, 6-4 straight sets victory over Feliciano Lopez and Pablo Carreno Busta.
➢ ATP Cup was the opener for the 2020 ATP Tour, as well as the first ATP team tournament since the last edition of the World Team Cup in 2012.
5. 3rd Khelo India Youth Games started in ____Guwahati.
➢ 3rd Khelo India Youth Games 2020 started at Indira Gandhi Stadium in Guwahati, Assam.
➢ Khelo India Youth Games event is a National level multidisciplinary games conducted every year.
➢ Six thousand five hundred athletes from 37 teams will take part in the event.
➢ Cycling and Lawn Ball have been introduced as new disciplines in the games.
6. Who has won the 7th National Ice Hockey Championship Women trophy__ Ladakh.
➢ The match was held at the Karzoo Ice Hockey Rink in Ladakh.
➢ The tournament was organized by the Ice Hockey Association of India (IHAI) in association with the Ladakh winter sports club.
➢ Four women teams representing Chandigarh, Delhi, Maharashtra, and Ladakh participated in the tournament.