Important News – State
1. Which state’s finance commission has recommended for Rs 23,848 crore for the Panchayati Raj Institutions and Urban Local Bodies over six financial year ________ Odisha.
➢ These funds allocated will be for strengthening the ULBs and PRIs in the state financially so that various developmental projects and maintenance of existing assets can be taken up by these institutes and bodies.
2. Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary is being upgraded to a National Park is located in which state of India _______Assam.
➢ It is located within the larger Dehing Patkai Elephant Reserve, spreading across the coal- and oil-rich districts of Upper Assam (Dibrugarh, Tinsukia and Sivasagar).
➢ After upgradation, Dehing Patkai will be the 6th national park in Assam.
➢ The other five are Kaziranga, Nameri, Manas, Orang and Dibru-Saikhowa.
3. e-Commerce marketplace Flipkart has signed an MoU with which state MSME and Mines department to promote the states arts, crafts and handloom sectors _______ Karnataka.
➢ The partnership under the Flipkart Samarth programme will enable local artisans, weavers and craftsmen of Karnataka to showcase their hallmark products to a pan-India customer base, the company said in a release.
➢ Both the Government of Karnataka and the Flipkart Group will focus on creating avenues to increase business and trade inclusion opportunities for these underserved segments of the society, thereby adding further thrust to Made in India efforts.
4. Which becomes the first state in India to use Space Technology & Artificial Intelligence for safeguarding government lands ________ Odisha.
➢ The Bhubaneswar Land Use Intelligence System is a geo-tagged repository that would monitor and detect all government lands in Bhubaneswar.
➢ This will be done by using high-resolution satellite imagery.
5. Which state government will be setting up a stress relief fund of around ₹700 crore to ₹1,000 crore, in a bid to support developers undertaking Slum Rehabilitation Authority (SRA) projects _______ Maharashtra.
➢ The State government’s contribution will be around ₹700 crore to ₹1,000 crore, while the State Bank of India’s contribution will be bigger.”
6. N Biren Singh, the Chief Minister of which state has inaugurated five water supply projects worth Rs 48.39 crore recently ________Manipur.
➢ The five Water Supply projects located at different districts of Manipur were constructed with the total cost of 48.39 crore rupees having total capacity of more than 26.15 millions of liters per day.
➢ The New Development Bank has sanctioned 3,000 crore rupees to provide potable water to every household of the state and work orders for the projects have been issued.
7. Which state government has approved the Startup Policy 2020 _______Uttar Pradesh.
➢ The validity of this policy is five years from the date of notification which is estimated to provide direct employment to more than 50,000 people and generate self -employment to around 1.5 lakh people.
➢ UP was anointed as the “Inspiring Leader” in the national startup ranking in 2018.
8. Which state government has launched 'Roko -Toko' campaign for those who do not wear masks ________Madhya Pradesh.
➢ In Madhya Pradesh, the government will now run a Roko -Toko means stop and campaign for those who do not wear masks.
➢ As the Use of masks is mandatory in all public places in the state.
➢ Now selected voluntary organizations will provide masks to the people who do not wear masks in public places and will charge an amount of Rs 20 per mask from the concerned.
9. India’s first e-Lok Adalat to ensure the administration of justice and to solve the financial crisis of the parties and lawyers amid COVID-19 pandemic was organized in which state of India _______Chhattisgarh.
➢ The high court Chief Justice P R Ramchandra Menon inaugurated the e-Lok Adalat through video conferencing.
➢ Lok Adalat is one of the alternative dispute grievance mechanisms or a forum where pending cases or disputes in the court of law are settled or compromised whereas e-lok adalat will be handled virtually.
10. Which state government has signed an MoU with HDFC Bank to provide digital payment solutions to the state’s transport department ________Jharkhand.
➢ The Digital solution solution will enable the traffic police to equip themselves with Point of Sale (POS)machines to collect traffic- related penalties.
➢ The traffic rules violators can also use this online payment facility to pay a fine.
Important News – World
1. What edition of “Ministerial on Climate Action (MoCA)” was held virtually for the first time in view of the ongoing COVID19 pandemic _________ Fourth.
➢ From India, Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Prakash Javadekar participated in meet.
➢ The meet was co-chaired by European Union (EU), China and Canada.
2. Which became the first two countries from the South East Asia Region of WHO to have successfully eliminated both the Measles and Rubella Virus ________ Sri Lanka and Maldives.
➢ Sri Lanka and Maldives the first two countries from the South-East Asia Region of the WHO to achieve the target.
➢ The target year set by the WHO for eliminating Rubella Virus from the South-East Asia Region is 2023.
3. Which becomes the first industrialized country to phase out of both coal and nuclear energy _______Germany.
➢ This phase out is a part of Germany’s “energy transition” to reduce the use of fossil fuels and to support the use of renewable resources.
➢ German closed its last coal mine in 2018 and committed to close its nuclear power plants by 2022.
4. What is India’s rank among 10 Asia-Pacific countries in the “Cancer preparedness in Asia-Pacific: Progress towards universal cancer control” prepared by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) _______eighth.
➢ The 10 Asia-Pacific countries included in this report were — Australia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, the Philippines, South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam.
➢ India records below-average scores across all three pillars in the EIU’s ICP — policy and planning, care delivery, and health system and governance.
5. According to Dun and Bradstreet’s (D&B) Country Risk and Global Outlook Report in 2020 the global economy is likely to contract by _______5.2%.
➢ As per report, the global economy will not reach pre-pandemic levels of activity again before 2022.
➢ India’s economy is expected to contract this fiscal year after four decades of positive growth.
➢ In March, 2020 D&B downgraded India’s rating to DB5c from DB4d, stating the magnitude of downgrade and the risk level highest since 1994.
6. Which country has imposed a ban on all private Indian news channel ________ Nepal.
➢ Except for the Indian State-owned Doordarshan’s news channel DD News, Nepal based Multi-System Operators have issued a broadcasting ban on all other Indian News Channels in Nepal.
7. What will be the rise in mean average global temperature in next 5 years as per the report “Global Annual to Decadal Climate Update for 2020-24” released by the WMO ______1.5°C.
➢ This is because of man-made greenhouse emissions and there is a 20% chance that it will exceed 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 Fahrenheit) in at least one year between 2020-2024.
➢ Overall, it is very likely to be within the range 0.91 – 1.59°C.
➢ The 1.5 C mark is the level to which countries have agreed to try to limit global warming as per 2015 Paris accord.
8. Under whose chairmanship the World Health Organization (WHO) has formulated an independent panel for pandemic preparedness and response to evaluate the world’s response to the COVID-19 _______ Helen Elizabeth Clark & Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.
➢ The Panel will be co-chaired by former Prime Minister of New Zealand Helen Elizabeth Clark and former President of Liberia Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.
➢ While Helen Clark served as an administrator of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), on the other hand, Ellen Sirleaf is a recipient of the 2011 Nobel Peace Prize.
➢ Both will choose other Panel members.
9. The ADB has entered into a 5-year agreement with Qatar-based Education Above All Foundation to work jointly for project worth of ________$100 million.
➢ It will put at least 3.2 lakh out-of-school children, including refugees and internally displaced children into quality primary education.
➢ Initially,10 nations have been selected for projects namely- Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, and Sri Lanka.
10. Recently which country has expressed interest to have an Open Sky Agreement with India ________ UAE.
➢ Open Sky Agreements are bilateral agreements that the two countries negotiate to provide rights for airlines to offer international passenger and cargo services. It expands international passenger and cargo flights.
➢ Open skies between India and UAE will allow unlimited number of flights to the selected cities of each other's countries.
11. Which of the following countries has approved an Expat Quota Bill _______Kuwait.
➢ According to the bill, Indians should not exceed 15% of the population and if it is enacted into law, over 8 lakh Indians could be forced out of Kuwait.
➢ The draft expat quota bill has been deemed constitutional and will be transferred to the respective committee so that a comprehensive plan is created.
➢ Lawmakers and government officials including the Prime Minister of Kuwait have been calling to reduce the number of expats from 70% to 30% of the population.
12. In which country the world's first gold-plated hotel was unveiled _______Vietnam.
➢ The hotel overlooks the Giang Vo Lake. It boasts of a gold-plated infinity pool on the roof.
➢ The 25-storey hotel cost approximately $200 million to build. Rooms at Dolce start at $250 per night.
13. Which country’s Gamalei Institute of Epidemiology and Microbiology’s COVID-19 vaccine becomes the first in the world to successfully completed the Human Clinical Trials _______Russia.
➢ The trials on volunteers were conducted from 18th June 2020 at Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University.
➢ At Sechenov University, the Director of Institute for Translational Medicine and Biotechnology has informed that the First Group of Volunteers will be released on 15th July 2020 while the Second Group of Volunteers will be released next Monday (20th July 2020).
14. According to the data released by the United Kingdom which has become the second largest Forign Direct Investor in the United Kingdom (UK) after the United States in 2019 _________India.
➢ The United States of America remains as the top source of Forign Direct Investment (FDI) of the UK, delivering 462 projects and 20,131 jobs.
➢ The List is followed by India, Germany, France, China and Hong Kong.
15. Which of the following countries has launched a two-month campaign to clean up websites aimed at users under the age of 18_________ China.
➢ The campaign will be for a period of two months, mostly websites providing online learning content through live streamlining or video conferencing.
➢ They will be checked as a part of the campaign, also instant messaging tools and android applications offering entertainment, quick part-time jobs for easy money, etc will be checked.
16. Which country drops India from Chabahar rail project, cites funding delay _______Iran.
➢ Four years after India and Iran signed an agreement to construct a rail line from Chabahar port to Zahedan, along the border with Afghanistan, the Iranian government has decided to proceed with the construction on its own, citing delays from the Indian side in funding and starting the project.
17. With Which country Iran has entered into a 25-year Strategic Partnership that would allow for billions of dollars investments in energy and other sectors - including the military _______China.
➢ In exchange for this investment, Iran would supply Beijing with a heavily discounted supply of oil over the next 25 years.
➢ China is a key market for Iranian crude oil exports, which have been dampened by US economic sanctions imposed after Washington's 2018 withdrawal from the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) nuclear deal with Tehran.
Honor & Awards
1. Which state’s Darpan Portal and Mobile app, which contains the details of the schemes of the government received the Elites Excellence Awards 2020 by the IT institution Elites Technomedia under the Digital India Initiative ______Chhattisgarh.
➢ The e-certificate was presented during the three-day virtual conference from 10th July to 12th July organised to encourage innovation in the IT Sector of the Government.
➢ The conference was inaugurated on 10th July 2020 by Nitin Gadgari, Union Minister of MSME.
2. Who among the following has been honoured with the “Top Publicist” award in the Global Humanitarian Awards 2020 held as a webinar over a virtual platform in London ________ Sachin Awasthi.
➢ The Global Humanitarian Award 2020 is instituted as a part of the Honoring the Honorable initiative of the World Humanitarian Drive(WHD).
➢ The award is to honour the popular men and women who contribute to the betterment of the society and the world.
3. Which Maharatna Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) has won the the prestigious CII-ITC Sustainability Award 2019, under Outstanding Accomplishment in Corporate Excellence Category _______ NTPC Limited.
➢ The company has also received Commendation for Significant Achievement in the category of CSR.
➢ CII-ITC Sustainability Awards recognize and reward excellence in sustainability practices. It is considered to be the most credible platform for sustainability recognition in the country.
4. Who has won the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke Award 2020 ________ Kezang D Thongdok.
➢ Kezang D Thongdok won the 2020 Dada Saheb Phalke Award for his documentary “Chi Lupo”
➢ The documentary Chi Lupo portrays the customs and practices of the Shertukpen community.
5. Who among the following has been honoured with Paul Harris Fellow recognition ________ Edappadi K Palaniswami.
➢ The recognition is in the honor of Rotary founder, Paul Harris who contributed to The Rotary Foundation.
➢ The Paul Harris Fellow recognition is conferred to honour the efficient service of people who provide drinking water, sanitation, prevention of diseases, environment, world peace etc. to its people.
1. Who has won the Formula One‘s season opening Austrian Grand Prix 2020 ________ Valtteri Bottas.
➢ Austrian Grand Prix 2020 was the first race of 2020 Formula One season.
➢ Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc finished second while McLaren’s Lando Norris came third.
➢ Another Mercedes racer Lewis Hamilton being handed a 5 second penalty that dropped him from second place to fourth.
2. Egyptian Raneem El Welily is associated with which sports who announced her retirement recently _________ Squash.
➢ Nouran Gohar of Egypt claims the No.1 ranking after the retirement of Welily.
➢ Raneem El Welily became the top ranking squash player in 2015 and became the 1st Arab woman to secure the world’s top ranking in any sport.
3. Joshna Chinappa is associated with which sports who secured 10th position in World Women’s Ranking 2020 ______Squash.
➢ She first entered the top 10 list in 2016 second to Dipika Pallikal, the other Indian woman squash player to enter the top 10 ranking
➢ Saurav Ghosal, India’s top male squash player, remains in the 13th position in the latest Professional Squash Association (PSA) ranking.
4. Who has won the Styrian Grand Prix 2020 at the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg, Austria _________ Lewis Hamilton.
➢ Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes-Finland) finished second while Max Verstappen (Red Bull- Belgium) was third.
➢ It was the second race of the 2020 Formula One World Championship and the first running of the Styrian Grand Prix.
5. Asian Cricket Council (ACC) has announced to postpone the Asia Cup cricket tournament until ______ June 2021.
➢ The tournament was earlier scheduled to be held in September 2020.
➢ India is the most successful team in the history of the tournament and is the defending champions, having won the last two tournaments.
6. Mile Jedinak is associated with which sports who has announced his retirement from the sport ________ soccer.
➢ Former Socceroos captain Mile Jedinak has announced his retirement from the sport. Socceroos is the official nickname of the Australia national soccer team that represents Australia in international men’s soccer.
Books & Authors
1. Who has authored the book titled ‘A Song of India’ ________ Ruskin Bond.
➢ The book is the 4th instalment in his memoir series.
➢ The book portrays his unknown life before he became a successful author. It is published by Puffin Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House India.
2. Who has authored the book titled ‘His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama: An Illustrated Biography’ to be released in 2020 ______ Tenzin Geyche Tethong.
➢ The book is published by Roli Books.
➢ The biography is a memorable portrait of the 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso.
Science and Defence
1. Which institutions has launched a cartridge-based machine named ‘Compact XL’ that will be able to test and handle multiple samples at the same time ______ Mylab Discovery Solutions Private Limited.
➢ The machine will reduce the need for laboratory technicians for handling and testing samples to one, as an individual will be able to operate the machine.
➢ This automated system will be able to handle samples of RNA/DNA based test, RT-PCR test, Plasma, Tissue, Swab, and Sputum.
2. To bolster the comprehensive strategic partnership and boost maritime relations the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) has signed an MoU with which country’s coastal force ______ Indonesia.
➢ The MoU was signed through video conferencing amid the global travel restrictions due to COVID-19 pandemic.
➢ The objective of this MoU is to enhance the collaborative and cooperative engagements in maritime law enforcement, maritime search and rescue and marine pollution response.
3. Which Indian company has launched the first of its kind in the world- reusable face masks and PPE Kits in collaboration with Reliance Industries Limited and Switzerland based HeiQ Materials AG ______ Loyal Textile Mills.
➢ The reusable mask and PPE Kit was launched by Loyal Textile Mills with collaborating with Reliance Industries Limited and Switzerland based textile innovation company- HeiQ Materials AG.
➢ Along with reusable masks and PPE kits, reusable garments with zero virus penetration were also unveiled by Loyal Textile Mills.
4. Israel Weapon Industries Assault Riffle’s- Arad and Carmel will be manufactured at the PLR Systems Private Ltd in which state of India ________ Madhya Pradesh.
➢ This will be a major boost to the domestic small arms industry and as well as the Make in India initiative.
➢ Both IWI Carmel Assault Rifle and Arad Assault Rifle was a caliber 5.56 X 45 mm, Carmel Assault Rifle has a Rate of Fire (RPM) in between 700-1000 rounds per min.
5. The Indian army has set its eyes on acquiring hand-launched, remotely controlled unmanned aerial vehicle Raven from which country________ USA.
➢ As per media reports, procurement of 200 pieces of AeroVironment RQ-11 Raven is in advance level.
➢ The RQ-11 Raven is a remotely controlled unmanned aerial vehicle that is launched with hand.
6. The Indian army is set acquire state-of-the-art Spike Firefly “loitering” ammunition from which country _______Israel.
➢ The Spike Firefly is developed under a joint venture of Israeli company- Rafael Advanced Defense Systems and Israel’s Ministry of Defence.
➢ The Spike Firefly has loitering capability and can be carried by a soldier as a part of his kit.
➢ The Spike Firefly can be operated from a table by a single user without requiring any special skills to operate.
7. By which year the Indian Navy will get new twin-engine aircraft carrier-based fighter aircraft being developed by the DRDO ________ 2032.
➢ It will replace the MiG-29Ks in service which are scheduled to start going out by 2034.
➢ The Navy currently operates Russian-origin carrier INS Vikramaditya and expects to have the first Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC-I) Vikrant operational by 2022.