Important News – India
1. Researchers at which IIT have developed a low cost and Artificial Intelligence-based test kit for COVID-19 ________IIT Hyderabad.
➢ These kits can give results in about 20 minutes.
➢ The test kits have already been tried at the ESIC hospital and the results are encouraging.
➢ The test kits are Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR)-free and get rid of many processes.
2. Which institute has developed an artificial intelligence-based computer diagnosis framework for rapid and accurate diagnosis of oral cancers ________ Institute of Advanced Study in Science and Technology (IASST), Guwahati.
➢ The framework developed by the research group at the Central Computational and Numerical Sciences Division, IASST led by Dr. Lipi B Mahanta, will also help grading of oral squamous cell carcinoma.
➢ An indigenous dataset was developed by the scientists through collaborations to make for the unavailability of any benchmark oral cancer dataset for the study.
3. Which institution developed a rare-earth-based magnetocaloric material that can be effectively used for cancer treatment _______ ARCI, Hyderabad.
➢ A magnetocaloric materials is a substance in which application and removal of a magnetic field causes the materials to become warmer or cooler.
➢ A paper on the research work has been published in the Journal of Alloys and Compounds.
➢ ARCI is an autonomous R&D Centre of Department of Science and Technology (DST).
4. What is India’s rank in the recently released 12th edition of the biennial Environment Performance Index (EPI Index 2020) released by the Yale University _______168th.
➢ The Yale University recently released the biennial Environment Performance Index.
➢ In 2018, India scored 27.6 out of 100 and secured 177th rank.
➢ Around 32 indicators were considered to create the ranking.
5. Who will chair the task force constituted by the Ministry of Women and Child Development, GoI to work on the issues of women and child development _________ Jaya Jaitly.
➢ The task force will examine the matters pertaining to age of motherhood, imperatives of lowering MMR, improvement of nutritional levels and related issues.
➢ The Task Force will be provided secretarial assistance by the NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog and will submit its report by 31st July, 2020.
6. The ISRO has signed an agreement with which institution for cooperation in the field of Space Situational Awareness (SSA) and Astrophysics __________ Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES).
➢ The main objective of the MoU is to shield the Indian Space assets from the space debris’s conjunction threats and R&D of Astrophysics, solar sciences and space environment are the base for future space exploration projects and the key to progress in the Indian Space sector.
7. Which institution has signed a letter of intent (LoI) with the Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) to promote innovation in the country ________ CSIR.
➢ The main focus of the agreement is supporting world class start-ups through CSIR Incubators under AIM initiatives and jointly work on new models of innovation, including setting up of CSIR Innovation Parks
8. Which energy company has won one of world’s largest solar contract from Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) to develop 8 GW of solar projects _________ Adani Green Energy Limited.
➢ Based on the award agreement the 8 GW of solar development projects will be implemented over the next five years.
➢ The first 2 GW of generation capacity will come online by 2022 and the subsequent 6 GW capacity will be added in 2 GW annual increments through 2025.
9. Which digital learning platform has partnered with the NSDC to provide its training partners access to the Digital Class Room _______ TCS iON.
➢ The partnership will strengthen NSDC’s online content aggregation platform-- eSkill India--through which it enables e-learning amongst skill seekers and will contribute towards strengthening the Skill India mission.
10. Which institute has developed Nano-Technology based disinfectant spray ANANYA to fight against COVID-19 ______ Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT).
➢ The spray has been prepared based on Nano-Technology assisted formulation. It will not only stop COVID-19 from entering the body but will also kill the virus that comes in direct contact.
11. Which Indian institutions maintains its position as the top institution in India in the QS World University rankings 2021 released recently _______IIT Bombay.
➢ IIT-Bombay still maintains its position as the top institution in India in the QS rankings, but has slipped 20 places from 152 to 172 in the global list.
➢ IISc overtook IIT Delhi to make it to the second place, but still dropped a rank to 185.
➢ IIT Delhi fell more than 10 places in the rankings to 193 rank, while IIT Madras is at 275. Both IIT Kharagpur and IIT Kanpur crashed out of the top 300.
12. A Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicle (DSRV) Complex was inaugurated in which place ________ Vishakhapatnam.
➢ Equipped with the state-of-the-art facilities, the complex is designed to accommodate the newly inducted submarine rescue system and store the DSRV assets in the rescue-ready state.
➢ The DSRV system consists of a submarine rescue vessel, a remote operations vehicle and side scan sonar and associated equipment.
13. Which institutions has developed an anti-microbial five-layered face mask that an annihilate pathogenic microorganisms ________ IIT-BHU.
➢ This face mask can annihilate pathogenic microorganisms that are stuck to its outer surface and thereby limit the spread of secondary infections.
➢ The mask that is available in the market currently acts as a filter to stop the entry of microbes to oral and nasal airways but does not have any effect on the microbe stuck to the mask surface.
14. The Department of Agriculture Cooperation & Farmers’ Welfare (DAC&FW) has allocated Rs. 4000 crores to the state governments for the year 2020-21 for implementing __________ Per Drop More Crop.
➢ For further allotment of funds, State Governments have identified the beneficiaries to be covered under the programme
➢ This scheme was formulated on July 1, 2015 with an outlay of Rs. 50,000 crore in five years for extending the water coverage for irrigation under focusing “Har Khet ko pani” and improving water use efficiency aiming at “More crop per drop”.
15. The National Fertilizers Limited (NFL) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with which institutions _________ Industrial Training Institutes (ITI) Nangal.
➢ Under the MoU, ITI’s 12 trades will be taught in the NFL & the theory will be studied at ITI Nangal.
➢ The MoU was exchanged between Ms Renu R P Singh DGM (HR) I/c, NFL Nangal unit and Sh Lalit Mohan, Principal of ITI, Nangal.
16. Which IT company has announced to launch of 'Summer of Ideas' initiative for university students worldwide, an online learning programme _________ Infosys.
➢ The global eight-week ideathon, powered by Infosys' digital learning platform Wingspan, will help the global student and academic community overcome the loss of learning opportunities as a result of the disruption caused by COVID19.
➢ The initiative will allow students access to Infosys mentorship and specially curated learning materials virtually.
17. What is India’s rank in the recently compiled by Nature Research, a division of the international scientific publishing company ‘Springer Nature’ ___________12th.
➢ The top five positions have gone to the United States of America, China, Germany, United Kingdom and Japan.
➢ The Nature Index is a database of author affiliation information collated from research articles published in an independently selected group of 82 high-quality science journals.
18. As per the “26th Annual Cost of Living Survey 2020” released by Mercer which Indian city is the most expensive city in India ________Mumbai.
➢ Mercer released its 26th Annual Cost of Living Survey 2020.
➢ From India, Mumbai city has been ranked 60th most expensive city globally and also 19th in Asia.
19. Which institution has emerged as the top institutions in the list of ‘overall ranking’ category in the 5th NIRF Ranking 2020 _________IIT Bombay.
➢ The rankings are being announced for India’s best universities and institutions in 10 categories namely- Overall, Universities, Engineering, Colleges, Management, Pharmacy, Medical, Dental Architecture, and Law.
20. Name the AI enabled robot launched by Indian Railway to intensify the screening and surveillance of railway passengers and railway staff ________ ARJUN.
➢ The full form of ARJUN is ‘Always be Responsible and Just Use to be Nice’.
➢ This innovation will help Indian Railways to modernise its security measures at the time of covid-19.
21. Name the National Healthcare Supply Chain Portal launched by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare to provide realtime availability of critical healthcare supplies _______ Aarogyapath.
➢ This national healthcare supply chain portal will remove supply chain bottlenecks during the Covid-19 pandemic.
➢ The vision of this initiative is to set up an information management and forecasting database platform at national level.
22. Which institution has developed a sanitizing chamber named ‘GermiKlean’ to sanitise uniforms of security forces _______ DRDO.
➢ DRDO’s move came after Delhi Police gave their requirement for sanitizing their uniforms, canes, cane shields, helmets.
➢ This chamber is designed to sanitise 25 pairs of uniforms within 15 minutes.
➢ The sanitizing chamber has been set up at Parliament Street Police Station.
23. Which of the following construction company becomes the first of its kind in the construction sector to go fully digital _______NHAI.
➢ With the launch of cloud-based and artificial intelligence-powered big data analytics platform Data Lake and Project Management Software, the entire project management workflow of NHAI has been transformed from manual to the online portal based.
➢ All project documentation, contractual decisions and approvals are now being done through the portal only.
24. Which IIT has developed an Artificial Intelligence-based cyber-physical system to monitor social distancing in public places _______IIT Kharagpur.
➢ The device will play a proximity alert sound through audio output, whenever any violation will occur.
➢ It captures images of the field view and computes the distance as per criteria set by the government.
25. An Integrated Flood Warning System (IFLOWS) has been launched for which city ______Mumbai.
➢ Named as 'Boon' and developed for Mumbai it will help the people in a "big way" as it can predict floods.
➢ The system was developed by the Ministry of Earth Sciences and Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC).
26. According to “Poonam Avlokkan” survey the population of the Asiatic lion at the Gir sanctuary grew by what per cent approximately _________29 per cent.
➢ The Gujarat Forest Department has recently announced that the number of Asiatic lions in the state has gone up till 674 from 523 that were reported in a Lion Census done five years ago. Which shows almost 29 per cent increase in the population.
Important News – State
1. Which state occupied top position in the ‘Food Safety Index 2019-20 released by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) among the larger state _______Gujarat.
➢ Gujarat is followed by Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra.
➢ The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) released the results of the second 'State Food Safety Index' to celebrate the World Food Safety Day during a webinar.
2. The World Bank (WB) has granted loan worth of Rs. 1,950 crores to which state for tackling coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and developmental work _______West Bengal.
➢ The loan amount has been lend to the West Bengal Government to tackle COVID-19 situation and developmental work in the state.
➢ Out of the total amount of Rs 1950 crore, West Bengal Government will spend Rs. 850 crore on various SocialWelfare schemes while the remaining Rs 1,100 crore will be spent to create Industrial infrastructures.
3. The colour of water in Lonar lake has changed to pink due to salinity and presence of algae in the water body. The lake is located in which state _______Maharshtra.
➢ The lake was formed after a meteorite hit the Earth some 50,000 years ago.
➢ Located around 500 km from Mumbai, the Lonar lake is in Buldhana district of Maharshtra.
➢ The lake, which is a notified national geo-heritage monument, has saline water with pH of 10.5.
4. Which state government has launched ‘Panchvati Yojana’ for the senior citizens of rural areas of the state _______Himachal Pradesh.
➢ Under the yojana parks & gardens will be established in every development block with mandatory facilities under Mahatma Gandhi Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA) 2005, Scheme of Rural Development Department.
5. Which state government has decided to rename the state’s Environment Ministry as ‘Environment and Climate Change Ministry’ _________Maharshtra.
➢ The decision to change the name comes just weeks after the state was hit by a severe cyclonic storm Nisarga on June 3, 2020.
➢ Maharashtra is one among a few states like Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana in India which have a dedicated department to address climate change.
6. What amount of financial assistance will be provided tailors, barbers and dhobis under ‘Jagananna Chedodu’ scheme launched by Andhra Pradesh state government _________ Rs 10,000.
➢ Andhra Pradesh government has launched the ‘Jagananna Chedodu’ scheme to provide financial assistance to tailors, barbers and dhobis (washermen).
➢ In total Rs.247 crore was transferred to their bank accounts under financial liability so that bankers cannot use the money to offset the loan repayment balances.
7. Which state government has launched ‘Bal Shramik Vidya Yojana’ to educate child labourers in the state ________ Uttar Pradesh.
➢ This scheme has launched, on the occasion of the International Child Labour Prohibition Day.
➢ The government will give monthly financial assistance of Rs 1,000 and Rs 1,200 to selected boys and girls, respectively.
➢ If these children pass classes 8, 9 and 10, they will be given an additional amount of Rs 6,000 for clearing each standard.
8. Which state government has launched ‘Ghar Ghar Nigrani’ app for house-to-house surveillance to contain the spread of COVID-19 ___________ Punjab.
➢ The app, 'Ghar ghar nigrani', was launched by Chief Minister Amarinder Singh through video conference.
➢ With the help of the application, the Punjab Government is to cover all the persons that are below the age of 30 years.
➢ The survey will cover persons that have influenza like illness.
9. Which has become the first state in the country to receive ISO certification for hostels meant for tribal students _______Odisha.
➢ This feat has been achieved due to 'Mission Suvidya' project which was launched by ST&SC Welfare Department to provide all the tribal hostels of the state uniform standards of infrastructure, amenities and human resources earlier.
➢ The audit team for certification visited hostels across the state and accorded the certification.
10. What amount has been allocated by central government to Jharkhand for the implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission in the financial year 2020-21 _______572 Crores.
➢ The state is planning cent percent household coverage by 2023-24.
➢ Out of 54 lakh rural households in the State, only 4.37 lakh have functional household tap connection (FHTC).
11. Which of the following state governments implemented ‘Food forest’ project in tribal belts of the state ________Kerala.
➢ As part of the ‘Tribal Comprehensive Development Programme in Kerala the "food forest" project is being implemented in cooperation with the Mahila Kissan Sashaktheekaran Pariyojana of the Central Government.
➢ The project aims to provide food security to 192 tribal villages in Attapadi.
Important News – World
1. An Unmanned submersible of which country dived deep down to 10,907 metres to the world’s deepest point Mariana Trench ________China.
➢ A team of scientists left for an expedition on April 23, 2020.
➢ The researchers tested acoustic detection, video transmission, high precision depth detection during the deep-sea diving operation.
2. Who became the first woman and the fifth person in history to descend to the deepest known spot in the world’s oceans called the 'Challenger Deep' in the Mariana Trench __________ Kathy Sullivan.
➢ She was also the first American woman to walk in space in 1984.
➢ Sullivan is now the only human who has walked in space and reached the deepest point in the ocean.
➢ Challenger Deep is the deepest point in the Earth’s sea bed. It is at a depth of 10,902 metres.
3. Italy and which country Italy has singed an agreement demarcating their maritime boundaries, amid tension in the Mediterranean region over rights to natural resources ________Greece.
➢ The agreement signed at the foreign ministry during a visit to Athens by Italian Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio, tackled an issue that had been pending for 40 years.
➢ It demarcates the exclusive economic zone — the maritime area in which a nation has the right of energy exploration and use of marine resources — between the two neighbors, as well as settling fishing rights.
4. Which institute/university maintains its position as the top institution in world in the QS World University Rankings 2021 released recently ________ Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
➢ In the QS World University Rankings 2021 feature not a single Indian institute among the top 100 universities across the world.
➢ Only three educational institutes from India IIT Bombay (172), IISc Bengaluru (185), and IIT Delhi (193) featured in the top 200 list.
5. Which country has declared that the nation has become free from “Coronavirus” ______New Zealand.
➢ The announcement was made when the last person who was being monitored for coronavirus was released from isolation and regarded as recovered.
➢ Hence, New Zealand has announced to lift all the coronavirus measures that were implemented in the country and move to national alert level 1 from midnight on 9 June 2020.
6. Which country has launched an initiative named ‘Shohojodha’, an online network to facilitate plasma exchange between recovered patients of COVID-19 _______Bangladesh.
➢ The initiative has been launched by the ICT division of the government of Bangladesh in collaboration with Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS).
➢ The plasma therapy for the Coronavirus patients in Bangladesh is under trial process awaiting final approval from the government.
7. India has signed an MoU with which country to strengthen the cooperation in power sector _______Denmark.
➢ Under the MOU to implement the agreement of the identified areas a Joint Working Group (JWG) will be established and co-chaired by joint Secretary-level officials who will report to a Steering Committee jointly chaired by the Secretary level officers from both the sides.
Honor & Awards
1. Who becomes the first Indian to receive the prestigious Richard Dawkins Award for 2020 for critical thinking ______ Javed Akhtar.
➢ Javed Akhtar is a renowned lyricist in the Indian film industry. He was awarded Padma Shri in 1999. He has also won the Sahitya Akademi award and Padma Bhushan.
➢ It is to be noted that Javed Akhtar raised voice on social media like twitter, literary events and in interviews about the issues with Citizenship Amendment Act, public policy, reopening of liquor shops after lock down, communism in the society, etc.
2. Name the India’s first solar-powered ferry which has been shortlisted for the Gustave Trouve Award ________ Aditya.
➢ Gussies Electric Boat Awards were instituted in memory of Gustave Trouvé, a French electrical engineer and pioneer in electric cars and boats.
➢ Trouvé was a prolific inventor with over 75 patents. Back in 1881, he developed a 5-m-long prototype electric boat.
3. Which Australian player has been appointed an officer in the Order of Australia, an honour for achievement or meritorious service ________ Michal Clarke.
➢ Clarke joined iconic ex-skippers like Allan Border, Mark Taylor, Ricky Ponting, Bob Simpson and Steve Waugh who have received the national recognition.
➢ Clarke, who led Australia to the 2015 World Cup title, has been appointed an officer (AO) in the general division of the Order of Australia, an honour for achievement or meritorious service.
4. The Ramon Magsaysay awards, regarded as Asia’s version of the Nobel Prize, have been cancelled this year due to the coronavirus pandemic, the award foundation is located at ______ Manila, Philippines.
➢ The Manila-based foundation also cancelled the award due to a financial crisis in 1970 and a disastrous earthquake that hit the Philippines in 1990.
➢ The awards are named after a popular Philippine president who died in a 1957 plane crash and honor “greatness of spirit in selfless service to the peoples of Asia.”
5. Who has been honoured with “NASA Distinguished Service Medal” for his administration to NASA ________ Renjith Kumar.
➢ He worked in relationship with NASA for over 30 years and contributed to updating the International Space Stations(ISS).
➢ He is CEO Emeritus of the Virginia based Analytical Mechanics Associates(AMA). RK Chetty Pandipati was the First Indian to win this honour in 2002.
6. Who has been conferred with prestigious World Food Prize 2020 _________ Rattan Lal.
➢ He was named as the 2020 World Food Prize Laureate for developing and mainstreaming a soil-centric approach to increasing food production that conserves natural resources and mitigates climate change.
➢ He will get USD 250,000 as prize money.
➢ The first recipient of this prestigious award in 1987 was Indian agricultural scientist Dr M S Swaminathan, the father of India’s Green Revolution.
7. Who has been chosen for the ‘Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) ___________ Shobha Sekhar.
➢ She started the Kalakruthi in 1994 affiliated with The Music Academy, Chennai and has been training many aspirants of Carnatic music.
➢ The medal of the order of Australia is awarded to the individuals contributing to their community or to Australia globally or domestically.
1. The Athletes Integrity Unit (AIU) of the World Athletics has imposed a four-year ban on which Indian player who won the gold medal in 2019 Asian Athletics Championships __________ Gomathi Marimuthu.
➢ She won the gold medal in the women’s 800 m event at the 2019 Asian Athletics Championships held in Doha, Qatar with her personal best timing. Gomathi had won gold with a timing of 2 minutes and 2.70 second.
2. The doping charge against which Indian sportsperson has been dropped due to "non-conformities" in the handling of her sample ________ K Sanjita Chanu.
➢ The IWF made the decision based on the recommendation of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).
➢ The 26-year-old, who claimed innocence since the beginning, was informed about the final verdict via an e-mail, signed by IWF's legal counsel Lilla Sagi.
3. In which country the top two women’s football divisions have gained professional status _________Spain.
➢ Spain’s sports council has accepted the change in status for the competitions, which will also be valid for men’s and women’s futsal.
➢ The move is another step to promote the development of these competitions that until now were considered amateur football.
4. Former European high jump champion, Alexander Shustov banned for four years by Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), he held from which country ______ Russia.
➢ This was confirmed by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
➢ The Russian Athletics Federation stated that his ban was dated from June 5, and his results had been disqualified for a period from 2013 to 2017.
5. Lightweight boxing champion Oleksandr Gvozdyk also known as “The Nail” announced his retirement held from which country _______Ukraine.
➢ He won the Bronze medal in the 2012 Olympic games.
➢ He won the 2018 World Boxing Councils (WBCs) light heavyweight world title against Adonis Stevenson in Quebec.