Important News – India
1. What is India’s rank, according to the “Wealth Report 2020” released by Knight Frank LLP ______12th.
➢ According to the “Wealth Report 2020” released by Knight Frank LLP India had 5,986 UHNWIs Ultra high-networth individuals (UHNWIs) in 2019 and they expected to increase by 73% in the coming 5 years.
➢ This will almost double the current count to 10,354.
➢ India, according to Knight Frank, ranks 12th and had 5,986 such individuals in 2019, which is likely to reach 10,354 by 2024.
➢ The number of billionaires in India, on the other hand, is likely to reach 113 by 2024, up from 104 in 2019.
2. For e-Marketing of products made by Self Help Groups (SHGs) across the Country Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana- National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY- NULM) signed MoU with ______Amazon.
➢ In the first phase of the e-marketing nearly 2,500 products will be on sale from March 28, 2020.
➢ About 24 states, 40 clusters and 350 SHGs have been enrolled in the 1st phase and has the potential to generate around Rs 45 crore in the next one year and aims Rs 500 crore turnover in the next 3 years.
➢ By promoting the products made by SHGs, helps in preserving & documenting the unique traditional art and crafts of different states.
3. Indian Coast Guard conducts 9th edition of rescue exercise ‘SAREX-2020’ in _____Goa.
➢ Indian Coast Guard (ICG) has conducted a 2-day 9th edition of national level search and rescue exercise ‘SAREX2020’ based on the theme ‘Harmonization of Maritime and Aeronautical Search and Rescue (HAMSAR)’ in the sea at Vasco, South Goa district from March 5-7,2020.
➢ For the 1st time, it was attended by 3 pillars of national SAR mechanism i.e. Ministry of Shipping, Ministry of Civil Aviation and Ministry of Defence.
➢ It also saw the participation of 24 representatives from 19 countries, primarily from Asia and Africa, international delegates including 38 national observers and officials of 7 commercial airlines including 2 helicopter operators.
➢ This exercise consists of a series of conduct of workshop, table top exercise and sea exercise with focus on Mass Rescue operation (MRO).
4. Which two cities are approved by the Government of India as authorised land immigration check posts to enter or exit India _______Agartala and Ghojadanga.
➢ Government of India (GOI) has approved Tripura capital Agartala and West Bengal’s Ghojadanga as authorised land immigration check posts to enter or exit India. Agartala and Ghojadanga are located along the IndoBangladesh border.
➢ The senior immigration officers, under the Bureau of Immigration, have been appointed for the Check posts with effect from March 2, 2020.
➢ The Central Government issued notification and approved check posts according to sub-rule (b) of rule 3 of the Passport (Entry into India) Rules, 1950, to Tripura and Ghojadanga land check post, located in North 24 Parganas district of West Bengal.
5. The Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD) & the World Bank organized a discussion programme on the topic “The Future of Work: Women in India’s Workforce” in _____ New Delhi.
➢ The Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD) & the World Bank organized a discussion programme on the topic “The Future of Work: Women in India’s Workforce” at New Delhi.
➢ It was inaugurated by Minister of WCD, Smriti Zubin Irani & Dr. Junaid Kamal Ahmad, Country Director India, World Bank.
➢ It is a part of a series of events to observe International Women’s Day 2020
6. The Rural Development Ministry announced that Government plans to achieve 75 lakh SHGs by ________2022.
➢ Shri Narendra Singh Tomar, Union Minister for Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, Rural Development and Panchayat Raj, announced that the Rural Development Ministry plans to add more than 14 lakhs SHGs (Self Help Groups) to achieve 75 lakh SHGs by the year 2022 to enable more women to get livelihood.
➢ The Minister announced this during the programme on Women’s Empowerment to mark the International Women’s Day held in New Delhi.
7. Which becomes the 1st state to own a separate department for Self Help Groups named as ”Department of Mission Shakti” ________Odisha.
➢ Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced that Odisha is the 1st state to own a separate department for Self Help Groups named as” Department of Mission Shakti”. It is created for the development of women & is dedicated to all the women of Odisha.
➢ Mission Shakti and Mamata Scheme combinedly benefits 70 lakh women in the state.
➢ 50% reservation in Panchayati Raj has created a new era for the socio-economic development of women.
➢ Earlier in the state budget, it has introduced an independent Nutrition Budget, whose primary focus will be on mother-child nutrition.
8. The 6th edition of Economic Times Global business summit was held in _______New Delhi.
➢ The 6th edition of Economic Times Global business summit is held on 6th – 7th March 2020 at Taj Palace, New Delhi. This summit is organised by the heads of the government, business leaders from India and throughout the world and by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
➢ The theme of the Global Business Summit is ‘Collaborate to Create: Sustainable Growth in a Fractured World’.
➢ GBS 2020 will unfold the myriad contours of the world economy & define the factors that will lead the Indian economy to newer heights.
➢ External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar conveyed that India has offered 300 Lines of credit (LoCs) to 64 countries which involves 539 development projects.
9. National Conference on Women in Police and CAPFs held in ________New Delhi.
➢ Smriti Zubin Irani, Union Minister for Women and Child Development inaugurated the “National Conference on Women in Police and CAPFs (Central Armed Police Forces)” in New Delhi, India.
➢ The Conference was organized by the Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR & D). Smriti Irani also released a hand-out- ‘BPR & D Mirror- Gender Bender’ and also the book titled “To Greater Heights”.
➢ Themes of the Conference 2020: ‘Cyber Stalking and Bullying of Women: Steps for Protection” and ‘Challenges faced by CAPF Women in Operational Areas”.
10. United Nations Global Compact Network India has organized the 3rd edition of its Gender Equality Summit 2020 in _________ New Delhi.
➢ The summit, aims to create a strong roadmap towards gender equality at workplaces in India, focuses on driving and bringing in change for equal opportunities in employment and growth for the women skill workforce.
➢ The summit also coincides with the International Women’s day (March 8), and consequently linked the international theme with the Indian context to underscore the present generation as a main role and the India Inc as a key catalyst for gender equality.
➢ The summit saw the participation of over 250 leaders including Nishtha Satyam, Deputy Representative of UN Women MCO for India, Bhutan, Maldives, and Sri Lanka & Anjali Singh, MD, Deutsche Bank to share insights on ‘women empowerment.
11. Which state ranked 1st in the country for overall implementation of POSHAN Abhiyaan ________Andhra Pradesh.
➢ Andhra Pradesh (AP) ranked 1st in the country for overall implementation of POSHAN ( Prime Minister’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nourishment) Abhiyaan as per September 2019 progress report of NITI Aayog, “Transforming Nutrition in India: POSHAN Abhiyaan”.
➢ The 2nd anniversary of POSHAN Abhiyaan is recognized by celebrating Poshan Pakhwada from 8th-22nd March 2020.
12. Which state ranks first in the list for domestic solar rooftop installations, throughout the country with 64 percent of domestic solar installations _________Gujarat.
➢ Nearly 50,915 domestic solar rooftops have been fixed in the state of Gujarat with a capacity of 177.67 MW on 2nd March 2020.
➢ Maharashtra is the second state to top in the domestic solar rooftop installations list with installation of 5,513 systems on 2nd March 2020.
➢ About 79,950 systems have been installed throughout the country having a capacity of 322 MW.
13. Which airport has been included in the world’s 100 strategic global infrastructure projects for the year 2020 ________ Jewar Airport, Uttar Pradesh.
➢ The first phase of Jewar Airport, Uttar Pradesh (UP) has been included in the world’s 100 strategic global infrastructure projects for the year 2020.
➢ It has been recognised in the CG LA Infrastructure List. UP (India) and Yugoslavia (Europe) have been chosen in the field of aviation category all over the world.
➢ The success story of Jewar Airport will be presented by the UP government in two sessions at the 13th Global Infrastructure Leadership Forum, to be held in New York City, US (United States) on March 25 to 27, 2020.
14. A week long Exhibition-cum-Fair, the first “EKAM Fest” organized by National Handicapped Finance Development Corporation (NHFDC) in ________New Delhi.
➢ It was inaugurated by Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot.
➢ EKAM, an acronym for Entrepreneurship, Knowledge, Awareness, Marketing, was aimed to showcase products made with extraordinary determination by the divyang (differently-abled) crafts persons and entrepreneurs.
15. India post launches India’s 1st digital parcel locker service in _______Kolkata, West Bengal.
➢ Under this service, customers will be able to collect their parcel from the post office according to their convenience. This facility is quite popular in European countries but is starting for the first time in India.
➢ This service has been done for such people of working-class, who do not have to receive any parcel at home. Such people can take their parcel and letters addressed to them from the kiosks at 24×7.
➢ Customers adopting this facility will be given a special locker number for their address wherever the parcel will be dropped from India Post.
16. Which Railway Station to be converted as World Class Station ________ New Delhi.
➢ The committee chaired by Bibek Debroy has recommended concession of commercial operation of train service like Rajdhani/Shatabdi to private parties.
➢ Already, Railways proposed to initiate 150 passenger trains through private operators in PPP (Public-private partnership) mode on 100 routes by 2022.
17. First regional edition of “Divya Kala Shakti Event” was held in _______Chennai, Tamil Nadu (TN).
➢ Shri Banwarilal Purohit, Governor of TN witnessed the performances and V. Saroja, Minister of Social Welfare and Nutritious Noon Meal programme and senior officers participated in the occasion.
➢ The event was organised by the National Institute for Empowerment of Persons with Multiple Disabilities (NIEPMD), in association with the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan) and Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
➢ The Divya Kala Shakti event aims to provide a platform for the disabled to exhibit their talents.
Important News – State
1. Which state cabinet approved to form trust for ‘Ram Van Gaman Path’ project _______Madhya Pradesh.
➢ The Madhya Pradesh (MP) Cabinet approved to form the trust under the Chairmanship of Chief Minister Kamal Nath for the project of constructing ‘Ram Van Gaman Path’ project, a route taken by Lord Ram during his 14-years of life in the forest.
➢ The project seeks to retrace the route believed to have been taken by Lord Ram during his life in forest and it is proposed to be constructed from Chitrakoot to Amarkantak. State chief secretary will be the member of the trust.
2. Which state government will launched digital literacy drive named “I am also digital” _______Kerala.
➢ Kerala will soon launch a digital literacy drive named “I am also digital” in the Thiruvananthapuram Corporation, Kerala, to create public-awareness about e-governance and use of various digital platforms through which wide ranges of services are being delivered.
➢ The literacy drive is organized by Kerala State IT mission under the Department of Information Technology (IT) and Kerala Literacy Mission.
3. Which state government has launched a mobile app to spread awareness and precautions to be taken against coronavirus ______Punjab.
➢ The Punjab Government launched “Cova Punjab” mobile application to spread awareness and precautions to be taken against coronavirus.
➢ The application was launched by Punjab Chief Secretary Karan Avtar Singh.
➢ The application was developed by the Department of Government Reforms and Public Grievances in consultation with the Health & Family Welfare Department.
4. Which state government has launched NIGHA application to curb the use of money and alcohol in the upcoming local body elections _______Andhra Pradesh.
5. Which state government has approved the implementation of “happy hours” for auto rickshaws, reducing 15% of fare prices from 12 pm to 4 pm ________Maharashtra.
➢ Maharashtra Government (govt) has approved the implementation of “happy hours” for auto rickshaws, reducing 15% of fare prices from 12 pm to 4 pm, barring the minimum fare for first 1.5 km, as recommended by Khatua panel.
➢ The decision will not be applicable to local taxis and app-based taxis
➢ Among South Asian countries India ranks first followed by Srilanka, Bangladesh & pakistan.
5. Which country ranks first according to the 1st edition of ‘Gender Social Norms Index (GSNI) 2020’ ______Pakistan.
➢ According to the 1st edition of ‘Gender Social Norms Index (GSNI) 2020’, released by the UNDP (United Nations Development Programme), about 90 % or 9 in 10 of the world’s population has some bias against women.
➢ This index studied 75 countries covering over 80 % of the world’s population & measures social beliefs that obstruct gender equality in areas like politics, work, and education.
➢ The highest number of bias against women was in Pakistan, where 99.81 % of the people supported similar bias. This was followed by Qatar and Nigeria, where 99.73 % of the people supported bias.
6. What is India’s rank in the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute’s (SIPRI) annual report titled “Trends in international arms transfers, 2019” ______Second.
➢ India is the world’s second largest arms importer during 2015-19 with its global share of 9.2% after Saudi Arabia, who has topped the ranking with global share of 12%.
➢ On the other hand, India ranked 23rd in terms of world’s largest arms exporters with global share of 0.2% and its main clients being Myanmar (46%), Sri Lanka (25%), and Mauritius (14%). United States (US) topped the list in this section with a share of 36%.
7. In the 2nd edition of global Animal Protection Index (API) 2020 released by the World Animal Protection India gained _______Grade C.
➢ World Animal Protection released the 2nd edition of global Animal Protection Index (API) 2020, where India gained C grade with other 8 countries which indicates India is one of the better-performing countries.
➢ Tragically no country gained A grade.
8. Which organization has initiated the creation of the COVID Action Platform with the support of the World Health Organization (WHO), and Wellcome Trust ______World Economic Forum (WEF).
➢ The World Economic Forum (WEF) has initiated the creation of the COVID Action Platform with the support of the World Health Organization (WHO), and Wellcome Trust.
➢ This first of its kind platform, operating globally, is open to all businesses and industry groups, as well as other stakeholders, for integrated and collective business action to mitigate the risk and impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
➢ The Forum has established a special team to support the platform’s work.
Honor & Awards
1. Who becomes the 1st woman to be promoted as Deputy Inspector General(DIG )of Indian Coast Guard _______ Nupur Kulshrestha.
➢ She joined Indian Coast Guard in 1999.
➢ On August 18, 1978 ICG was established by the Coast Guard Act, 1978 of the Parliament of India as an independent Armed force of India & is operated under the Ministry of defence.
➢ It is an armed forces & multi-mission organisation, which conducts real life operations at sea round the year.
2. President Ram Nath Kovind honoured ‘Nari Shakti Puraskar’ for 2019 to _______15 women.
➢ The award is conferred annually to eminent women and institutions in recognition of their service towards the cause of women empowerment & social welfare.
➢ This award is an initiative of the Ministry of Women and Child Development(MWCD) to acknowledge the achievements of women for the nation & recognize their contributions towards society.
3. What was the theme of the 4th Edition of the Women Transforming India (WTI) Awards 2019 ________ Women and Entrepreneurship.
➢ On the occasion of International Women’s Day (March 8, 2020), NITI Aayog in collaboration with United Nations (UN) in India has organized the 4th Edition of the Women Transforming India (WTI) Awards 2019 in New Delhi.
➢ The theme for WTI awards 2019 was “Women and Entrepreneurship”.
➢ The awards were conferred by Defence Minister of India (or Raksha Mantri), Rajnath Singh who was the chief guest of an event.
4. Who have won the Hockey India Dhruv Batra Player of the Year Award 2019 for Men and Women respectively ________ Manpreet Singh Pawar and Rani Rampal.
➢ The captain of India men’s national field hockey team, Manpreet Singh Pawar (27) & Captain of Indian Women Hockey Team, Rani Rampal (25) have won the Hockey India Dhruv Batra Player of the Year Award 2019 for Men and Women respectively.
➢ Apart from the trophy, they also collected a prize money of Rs 25 lakh each.
➢ Harbinder Singh, who was a member of the Tokyo Olympics 1964 gold medal winning team, was honored with Major Dhyan Chand Lifetime Achievement Award 2019, which carries a prize money of Rs 30 lakh and a trophy.
➢ He was also a member of the bronze medal winning team at the 1968 Mexico and 1972 Munich Olympics.
5. Who has won the 7th edition of Dr MS Swaminathan Award for the period 2017- 2019 ________ V Praveen Rao.
➢ V Praveen Rao, Vice-Chancellor (VC) of Professor JayaShankar Telangana State Agricultural University (PJTSAU), won the 7th edition of Dr MS Swaminathan Award for the period 2017- 2019.
➢ The award will be conferred on him in June 2020.
➢ The award was constituted by Retired Indian Council of Agricultural Research Employees Association (RICAREA) and Nuziveedu Seeds Limited (NSL).
6. Who named as BBC Indian Sportswoman of the year 2019 _______PV Sindu.
➢ Indian Badminton player Pusarla Venkata Sindhu, 24 years old, won BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) Indian Sportswoman of the year award 2019 and former sprinter Pilavullakandi Thekkeparambil Usha was awarded with Lifetime Achievement award.
➢ The BBC award ceremony was held in New Delhi. Union Sports Minister Shri Kiren Rijiju was the guest of honour and Tony Hall, BBC Director General hosted the awards ceremony event.
7. Which airport has been adjudged as best Airport in Airport Service Quality awards 2019 ________ Kempegowda International Airport.
➢ Annual Airport Service Quality (ASQ) Awards recognize and reward the best airports in the world according to ACI’s ‘ASQ Departure Survey’ and the ‘ASQ Arrivals Survey’.
➢ 34 key performance indicators under eight major categories were assessed during the survey & Indian Airports under the Airport Authority of India (AAI) have won many awards under Asia-Pacific region in “2019 Airport Service Quality (ASQ) awards”.
➢ The award is given by the Airports Council International (ACI).
8. Who has won Best Citizens of India Gold medal Award _______ Dr Jaimanti Bakshi.
➢ Dr Jaimanti Bakshi, Professor & Unit Head II, Department of Otolaryngology and Head Neck surgery at PGIMER (Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research), Chandigarh was awarded with “Best Citizens of India”.
➢ The award was given by “GEPRA” (Global Economic Progress and Research Association) during the National Unity conference held in Chennai, Tamil Nadu (TN) .
9. Which Indian women has been included in ‘Influential Women in Sport’ list for 2020 ______ Nita Ambani.
➢ Sports business network, iSportconnect released the ‘Influential Women in Sport’ list for 2020, which named Nita Ambani, Serena Williams & Simone Biles along with 7 other women.
➢ Nita Ambani led her Mumbai Indians franchise to become the most successful in IPL history & is in many sports projects across different sports in the country.
➢ Tennis player, Serena Williams’s overall impact both on the court, (the greatest female player of all time), & as a businesswoman.
1. Name the Indian runner who has been provisionally suspended by the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) failing doping test _______ Prachi Choudhary.
➢ Indian 400-meter runner Prachi choudhary from Uttar Pradesh was tested out of competition and was provisionally suspended by the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) on March 6,2020, for the presence of anabolic steroid, Oxandrolone.
➢ The provisional suspension starts to apply from February 20, 2020.
➢ Prachi Choudhary was tested out on 30 December 2019 in Patiala at Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports center by NADA’s Dope Control Officers(DCO).
➢ The test comes out positive from Qatar’s Doha testing laboratory.
2. Name the former Indian opening batsman and a domestic cricket giant has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket _______Wasim Jaffer.
➢ Wasim Jaffer (42) a former Indian opening batsman and a domestic cricket giant has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket. He hails from Mumbai, Maharashtra.
➢ He is the fifth-highest run-scorer in Indian first-class cricket with 10 Ranji trophy titles.
➢ Wasim Jaffer is the highest run-scorer in the Ranji and Irani Trophy, who became the first player to play 150 Ranji trophy matches and the first batsman to score more than 12,000 runs in Ranji Trophy with 40 centuries and 89 half-centuries.
3. Which country has won the 7th ICC Women’s T20 World Cup tournament ______Australia.
➢ Australia women’s cricket team defeated the Indian women’s cricket team by 85 runs and won the title for the 5th time.
4. Name the footballer of Malta who has announced his retirement from professional football ______ Andre Schembri.
➢ Currently Andre Schembri (33 years old) playing for Chennaiyin FC’s (Football Club) announced that he will retire from professional football after the Hero Indian Super League (ISL) final against ATK FC in Goa on March 14, 2020.
➢ He announced retirement from international football in November 2018 after 94 appearances for his nation.
5. The Asian/Oceanian Boxing Olympic Qualifiers event 2020 was held in _______Amman, Jordan.
➢ A total of 9 Indian boxers qualified in this event for Tokyo 2020 Olympics, which is to be held at New National Stadium in Tokyo, Japan from 24 July 2020 – 9 August 2020.
6. Which team has won the first ever Ranji Trophy title _______ Saurashtra.
➢ Saurashtra won their maiden Ranji Trophy title after earning a 44-run lead in the first innings against Bengal which eventually ended in a draw in the final in Rajkot, Gujarat.
➢ Jaydev Unadkat led the Saurashtra Team.