Important News – India
1. Who unveiled e-book titled “ A Report on Impact of Energy Efficiency Measures” for the year 2018-19 _______ Raj Kumar Singh.
➢ India reduced energy intensity in 2018-19 by 20% as compared to the 2005 level.
➢ India has set a target to reduce the energy intensity by 33-35%by 2030 compared to 2005 level.
➢ The energy efficiency efforts have also contributed in reducing 151.74 Million Tonnes of CO2 (MTCO2) emissions (in 2018-19), whereas last year (2017-18) this number was 108 MTCO2.
2. India will sign a Memorandum of Understanding on Coking coal with which country _______Russia.
➢ Indian Petroleum Minister Shri Dharmendra Pradhan and Russian Energy Minister alexander Novak held a meeting through video conference. The ministers reviewed ongoing projects.
➢ The ministers emphasized on the cooperation in coking sector.
➢ They also held talks about signing a Memorandum of Understanding on Coking coal.
➢ The Russian minister briefed about the OPEC+ agreement that was recently signed
3. Who launched the mobile application 'AYUSH Sanjivani' App and two AYUSH based studies related to COVID-19 situation _________ Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
➢ The app was developed by the Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homoeopathy (AYUSH) and Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEITY).
➢ The AYUSH Sanjivani mobile app will help to generate data on acceptance and usage of AYUSH advocacies and measures among the population and its impact on the prevention of COVID-19.
➢ It is expected to reach out to a target of 50 lakh people.
4. According to the Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy(CMIE) the country’s unemployment rate rose to _____ 27.11%.
➢ As per the Mumbai-based think tank, the unemployment rate in the urban areas is high in red zones due to COVID-19 cases at 29.22%, against 26.69% for the rural areas. In the previous week ending April 26, the urban unemployment rate was at 21.45% and the rural unemployment rate at 20.88%.
➢ CMIE’s weekly series of data indicated a steady rise in unemployment since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in India, showing a sharp spike of 23.81% from the week of March 29.
5. The Defence Ministry has signed a contract with which company for Phase-II of Modernisation of Air Field Infrastructure of 37 airfields for Indian Air Force, Indian Navy and Indian Coast Guard ______Tata Power.
➢ The proposal is approved by Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh.
➢ The project will give a boost to over 250 Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises(MSME) which will directly benefit from the execution of various activities of this project.
6. Which institute has developed first indigenous antibody-based ELISA test kit - COVID KAVACH for diagnosis of novel Corona Virus ________ National Institute of Virology, Pune.
➢ This test is expected to change the dynamics of COVID-19 testing in the country.
➢ The kit has displayed high sensitivity and accuracy in the validation tests at different sites.
➢ It can test around 90 samples in approximately two and half hours.
7. Which mission has been started by the Government of India to provide assistance to Eastern Indian Ocean Region Nations amid the coronavirus crisis ______Mission Sagar.
➢ Under the mission, Indian Naval Ship (INS) Kesari has been deployed, carrying on board two medical assistance teams, essential Food Items and COVID related Medicines and Special Ayurvedic Medicines five to Island countries in the Indian Ocean.
➢ The five countries are Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles, Madagascar and Comoros.
8. The Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR) tie-up with which of the following companies to develop indigenous COVID-19 vaccine ________ Bharat Biotech.
➢ ICMR has shared one of the 11 virus strains that it managed to culture with Bharat Biotech.
➢ The industry partnership is to develop the vaccine candidate and ICMR has transferred the technology to them One of the strains has now been successfully transferred from NIV to Bharat Biotech International Ltd. (BBIL) in Hyderabad as part of the partnership.
➢ ICMR-NIV will provide continuous support to BBIL for vaccine development.
9. Which institute has designed and developed a personal protective equipment (PPE) doffing unit for Government Chengalpattu Medical College ________ Indian Institute of Technology, Madras.
➢ Financial support for construction of the doffing unit came from corporates through their CSR arms.
➢ Koshy Varghese and Anil Jayachandran, professors in the civil engineering department, fabricated the unit in collaboration with a team of public works department officials at the hospital, complying with the safety norms required for COVID-19 pandemic.
10. Which research establishment of the Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO) has developed Defence Research Ultraviolet Sanitizer (DHRUVS) _______ Research Centre Imarat (RCI).
➢ The RCI of DRDO based in Hyderabad has developed a Ultra Violet Cabinet to sanitize mobile phones, laptops, iPads, passbooks, challans and paper.
➢ It can also be used to sanitize currency notes and papers. It provides 360-degree exposure to UV rays to the objects placed inside the cabinet.
➢ DHRUV is a contactless ultraviolet sanitization cabinet that is highly useful to sanitize electronic gadgets.
11. Union Defence Minister Shri Rajnath Singh recently approved the abolition of 9,304 posts in the military engineering services on the recommendation of which committee ______ Shekatkar Committee.
➢ The Union Ministry of Defence had constituted a Committee of Experts under Chairmanship of Lt Gen (Retd) DB Shekatkar for recommending measures to enhance combat capability & rebalancing defence expenditure of Armed Forces with an aim to increase “teeth to tail ratio”.
➢ The committee had submitted around 99 recommendations.
➢ If all the recommendations are implemented according to the committee, India can save Rs 25, 000 crores.
12. As per International Energy Agency (IEA) “Global Energy Review 2020 due to COVID 19 India’s energy demand falls by ______ 30%.
➢ It means that with each additional week of lockdown, India’s annual energy demand is reduced by 0.6%.
➢ The impact on Q1 2020 energy demand in India was modest, with demand increasing by 0.3 relative to Q1 2019.
➢ In India, energy demand would decline for the first time, following on from low demand growth in 2019.
➢ The report is based on an analysis of around 100 days of real-data of2020.
13. Which vehicle manufacture has announced the launch of ‘Own-Online’, an end-to-end online vehicle ownership solution _____ Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd.
➢ Mahindra Own-Online will be a one-stop available 24X7 where customers can finance, insure, exchange, accessorise and own a Mahindra vehicle in four steps, without having to visit a dealership.
➢ This platform has been launched by (M&M) to offer its customers a transparent, seamless and contactless experience from selection to the delivery of the vehicle.
➢ Through this platform, a customer can own a Mahindra vehicle in four simple steps, from their homes, in few clicks.
14. Which CSIR institute has developed a Non Invasive BiPAP Ventilator “SwasthVayu” to treat COVID-19 patients _______ National Aerospace Laboratories, Bangalore.
➢ The unique features of the Non-Invasive BiPAP Ventilator “SwasthVayu” helps to alleviate the fear of the virus spread.
➢ The ventilator is very simple to use without any specialized nursing and is cost effective, compact and configured with majority of indigenous components.
➢ A BiPAP Non Invasive Ventilator “SwasthVayu” is a microcontroller-based precise closed-loop adaptive control system.
15. Which of the following cities has launched “Pranavayu Programme” to create awareness about the respiratory health of the residents _________Bengaluru.
➢ The initiative aims to help people in increasing oxygen level of the people by themselves.
➢ This will help them to keep track about their health before their ailments become fatal.
➢ There are several deaths reported in the country due to Severe Acute Respiratory Illness (SARI).
➢ Especially, COVID-19 causes Hypoxia (deficiency of oxygen in tissues). This is like starving the body of oxygen.
16. Union HRD Minister Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ has launched “Bharosa” helpline for which of the following universities _________ Central University of Odisha.
➢ This helpline has been launched with an objective of relieving the student community from the distress caused during the troubled time of the COVID-19 pandemic.
➢ All University Students of Odisha will be offered Cognitive Emotional Rehabilitation Services via this helpline.
➢ The Helpline “Bharosa” will address the issue of distress faced by any student of any University in Odisha in the wake of COVID-19 pandemic
17. Who inaugurated 80km strategically crucial road link connecting Lipulekh pass (China Border) with Dharchula in Uttarakhand through video conferencing _________Rajnath Singh.
➢ The Border Roads Organization (BRO) has constructed the road that originates from Ghatiabagarh and it ends at Lipulekh Pass which is a gateway to Kailash-Mansarovar.
➢ It will help pilgrims visiting Kailash Mansarovar in Tibet as it is around 90 kms from the Lipulekh pass.
➢ This road, which has an altitude ranging from 6000 to 17060 feet, constructed along the banks of river Kali between India and Nepal.
18. (HRD) Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ announced various modifications in the which scheme _______Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship (PMRF) Scheme.
➢ The modification will be done to boost research in the country & to enable more students to avail the benefit under the scheme.
➢ The scheme is designed to improve the quality of research in various higher educational institutions in the country & with attractive fellowships it seeks to attract the best talent into research through realizing the vision of development by innovation.
19. To send medical aid to five Island nations in the Indian Ocean amid COVID-19 pandemic India has initiated which misiion _______“Mission Sagar”.
➢ In this regard, Indian Naval Ship (INS) Kesari departed for Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles, Madagascar and Comoros, to provide Food items, COVID related Medicines including Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) Tablets and Special Ayurvedic Medicines with Medical Assistance Teams.
➢ For Maldives, 600 tonnes of food items will also be provided and for Comoros medicines related to dengue would be given.
➢ This mission is launched in coordination with the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), and other agencies of GOI.
20. Two scientific papers on child survival published by the India State-Level Disease Burden Initiative stated that the under-5 Mortality Rate in India has dropped by what percent since 2000 ________49 per cent.
➢ The India State-Level Disease Burden Initiative has recently published two scientific papers.
➢ The initiative has given its report on district-level trends of child growth and child mortality.
➢ The findings show there were 1.04 million under-5 deaths in 2017, down from 2.24 million deaths in 2000.
➢ The child mortality rate has dropped by 49% between 2000 and 2017.
21. Which industry body has organised the Indo-Bangladesh “Virtual Conference” _______ ASSOCHAM.
➢ Union DoNER Minister of State (I/C) Dr Jitendra Singh addressed the virtual conference.
➢ The conference featured the participation of Minister of Commerce Bangladesh Tipu Munshi, Chief Minister of Meghalaya Conrad Sangma and Riva Ganguli Das High commissioner to Bangladesh.
22. Which industry body has organized the digital conference, RE-START – ‘Reboot the Economy through Science, Technology and Research Translations is association with Technology Development Board (TDB) ______ Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
➢ The Union Minister of Science and Technology, Earth Sciences, and Health and Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan addressed the digital conference, RE-START – ‘Reboot the Economy through Science, Technology and Research Translations
➢ The conference was organized by the Technology Development Board (TDB), a statutory body of the Department of Science and Technology (DST) and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
23. What is India’s rank in the recently released Global Energy Transition Index (GET Index) 2020 by the World Economic Forum (WEF) _______74th.
➢ The World Economic Forum released Global Energy Transition Index (GET Index).
➢ The World Economic Forum has ranked 115 countries based on GET Index in its report “WEF Fostering Effective Energy Transition 2020 report”.
➢ Sweden has topped the ranking for the third consecutive year. It was followed by Switzerland and Finland.
24. As per the new definition of MSMEs what is the maximum investment limit for a micro unit _______1 crore.
➢ The GoI has changed the definition of MSMEs.
➢ The new definition has increased the investment limit upwards. Previously, an enterprise with investment up to Rs 25 lakh was called a micro unit.
➢ Under the new definition, a firm upto investment of Rs 1 crore is to be called Micro unit, of Rs 10 crore is to be called as small unit and investment greater than Rs 20 crore will be called as medium unit.
25. TVS group, Sundaram Medical Foundation in collaboration with which IITs has developed an automated respiratory assist device Sundaram Ventago _______ IIT Madras.
➢ This versatile and mobile device will assist the clinicians in constantly monitoring and reporting respiratory parameters.
➢ The device has been developed to provide respiratory support to patients through the controlled and automated squeezing of a self-inflating or AMBU bag.
➢ To the needy patients, the Sundaram Ventago also provides safety feature such as audible alarms for line disconnection or in case that the PIP exceeds a certain threshold. With the help of this device, the respiratory support will become more affordable and available to all.
26. For the first time the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) has included which region of POK in its weather forecast _________ Gilgit-Baltistan and Muzaffarabad.
➢ The department taken this decision as it says that it is a part of India and the country always maintains its position that PoK belongs to India.
➢ The agency has included the regions as part of its meteorological sub-division of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) in its daily forecast for ‘north-west India’.
Important News – State
1. Which become the 1st state in the country to provide mid-day meal ration _________Madhya Pradesh.
➢ Distribution of the mid-day Meal ration with the help of Anganwadi workers, Panchayat representatives and local teachers was taken in sending ration to the students at their home after the school closing in April.
➢ To provide mid-day meal to school children in the corona outbreak an amount of Rs 117 crore has been transferred online in the bank account of the parents of 66 lakh 27 thousand students of primary and secondary school by the state government.
➢ Under door-to-door mid-day meal scheme, ration has also been provided to 56 lakh 87 thousand children.
2. Which state government has passed an ordinance to suspend labour laws to boost industrial investment and employ the large number of migrant workers that have come back to their native villages in the state _______Uttar Pradesh.
➢ Uttar Pradesh State government passed an ordinance 'Uttar Pradesh
Temporary Exemption from Certain Labour Laws Ordinance, 2020' to suspend labour laws for the next three years.
➢ The move is aimed to boost industrial investment and employ the large number of migrant workers that have come back to their native villages in the state.
➢ The Ordinance has been sent to Governor Anandiben Patel for assent.
3. Which State government has launched ‘Mukhyamantri Yuba Yogayog Yojana’ _________Tripura.
➢ The scheme was announced by the Education Minister of Tirupura Ratan Lal Nath on 4th March 2020 during a meeting of the council of ministers.➢ The
Scheme aims to provide grants for the purchase of smartphones to the students of final year to empower them digitally & help them leverage the advantages of an interconnected world.
➢ Through the implementation of the scheme, the student will be able to get employment through internet platforms
4. Which state government has launched country's first ever ‘FIR Aapke Dwar Yojana’ to lodge FIR _______ Madhya Pradsh.
➢ Madhya Pradesh is the first state in the country to implement such an innovative scheme under which now people would not be required to visit police station to lodge an FIR
➢ ‘FIR Aapke Dwar’ Yojana has been started as a pilot project in 23 Police Stations including one urban and one rural Police Station at 11 Divisional Headquarters.
➢ For this Yojana “Dial 100” vehicle would have trained Head Constables to lodge FIR.
5. To provide support to the migrant workers which state has launched ‘Pravasi Raahat Mitra’ _______Uttar Pradesh.
➢ The mobile application is developed by the state revenue department in collaboration with United Nation Development Program (UNDP)
➢ The ‘Pravasi Raahat Mitra’ helps the migrants to monitor their health and provide the requirements like job and livelihood related to their skills.
➢ The app will also record the status of distribution of ration kits to migrant citizens.
6. Which state government has constituted a 24 member high-level committee headed by C Rangarajan to assess the immediate and medium-term impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on various sectors of the State’s economy ______Tamil Nadu.
➢ The committee will examine fiscal challenge & suggest ways to improve its fiscal position including increasing the tax-Gross Domestic Product (GDP) ratio and diversifying revenue sources and re-prioritising expenditure.
➢ State Finance Secretary S Krishnan will be the coordinator of the committee.
➢ The committee will submit its final reports to the Government within 3 months apart from the interim reports.
7. Which state government has launched “HOPE” (Helping Out People Everywhere) portal to help unemployed youth to get jobs opportunities __________Uttarakhand.
➢ The portal will be used to collect the data on the youths of the state who are staying in as well as the recently returned migrant youths.
➢ This platform will help unemployed youths for job seeking and skill development.
➢ The database in the portal will help employers to find suitable candidates for their requirements.
Important News – World
1. Which country has successfully launched a new rocket named “Long March 5B” into space which will pave the way of its Moon landing plans _________China.
➢ This rocket is launched in Wenchang launch site that is located on the island of Hainan, china.
➢ The rocket is a massive vehicle and is being compared with deep space Orion capsule of NASA.
➢ The rocket in the future will help China transport astronauts to space station by 2022.
➢ The rocket launch will also aid China in its plans of building a huge space station called “Tiangong”. Tiangong is the space station programme of China.
2. The World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nation (UN) postal agency released a commemorative postage stamp on the 40th anniversary of the eradication of _______smallpox.
➢ The commemorative stamp was designed and developed by Sergio Baradat, United Nations Postal Administration (UNPA) in collaboration with WHO.
➢ The stamp will be available for purchase at unstamps.org and it can be used to mail postcards and letters around the world, provided that they are sent from the UN headquarters in New York, Geneva or Vienna respectively.
3. Which country named street after Rabindranath Tagore on his 159th anniversary __________Israel.
➢ Israel named it ‘Tagore Street’ to commemorate the poet’s birth anniversary.
➢ Tagore, who wrote his poetry, novels, stories and plays in Bengali, In 1913 he won the prestigious Nobel prize in literature and till now, he is the only poet from India to have done so.
4. Which country is to hold the chair of the World Health Organization in May 2020 after Japan completes its tenure _____ India.
➢ India is to hold the chair of the World Health Organization in May 2020 after Japan completes its tenure. India will continue to hold the chair for the next three years.
➢ This comes during the time when there are world wide criticisms faced by WHO.
➢ Especially the US, one of India’s primary trading partner, accused WHO being China-centric.
➢ It is to be noted that US has also cut the funds allocated to the WHO.
5. As per the World Health Organization’s Global Nutrition Report, 2020 India is one among the 88 countries that are to miss global nutrition targets set for the year ______ 2025.
➢ The World Health Organization released Global Nutrition Report, 2020.
➢ According to the report, India is one among the 88 countries that are to miss global nutrition targets set for the year 2025.
➢ India also has highest rates of domestic inequalities, especially in malnutrition.
➢ Along with Nigeria and Indonesia, India was declared the least performing in case of disparities in stunting.
6. World Health Organization (WHO) has released the first “The State of the World’s Nursing 2020” report amid COVID19 pandemic in partnership with Nursing Now and _________ International Council of Nurses (ICN).
➢ In accordance with the report, there are 28 million nurses worldwide but still, there is a global shortfall of 5.9 million.
➢ Countries facing the greatest shortfall of nurses are in Africa, South East Asia and the WHO Eastern Mediterranean region as well as some parts of Latin America.
➢ Between 2013 and 2018, nursing numbers increased by 4.7 million.
➢ More than 80% of the world’s nurses work in countries that are home to half of the world’s population.
7. In the fight against the Coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemic, the United Nations (UN) and its partner agencies have appealed to governments, companies and billionaires to donate ______ $ 6.7 billion.
➢ In this campaign, special attention is being given to dealing with more vulnerable countries and combating food insecurity, gender-based violence, sexual exploitation and abuse, among others.
➢ As per the UN Emergency Relief Coordinator Mark Lowcock, the $ 2 billion initial appeal by the United Nations on March 25, 2020, has been boosted because income and job losses have increased.
➢ However, due to increasing human needs continuously, the updated “COVID-19 Global Humanitarian Response Plan” for the remaining time of 2020 was 6. 7 billion dollars.
Honor & Awards
1. Name the Indian journalist who has been named for Deutsche Welle Freedom of Speech Award 2020 _______ Siddharth Varadarajan.
➢ Siddharth Varadarajan, one of the founding editors of non-profit online newspage The Wire, was handed a notice for appearance by a police team on April 10, 2020 following a story about a politician violating COVID-19 guidelines by participating in a religious ceremony.
➢ The Wire was accused of “causing a riot” and “leading to panic.”
2. Who becomes the 1st Indian to win Fed Cup Heart Award 2020 for Asia/Oceania zone ______Sania Mirza.
➢ She decided to give a prize money of $ 2000 to the Telangana Chief Minister Relief Fund to help battle against coronavirus.
➢ Sania is one of 4 winners chosen by a public vote, alongside Anastasija Sevastova of Latvia (wins Qualifiers award), Mexico’s Fernanda Contreras Gomez (Americas I zone) and Estonian Anett Kontaveit (Europe/Africa I zone).
3. Which Indian airport has won this year’s SKYTRAX Award for Best Regional Airport in India and Central Asia _______ Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru.
➢ The airport was voted by customers because of the Best Regional Airport in India & Central Asia for the third time in four years at the 2020 World Airport Awards.
➢ The Awards have supported the planet Airport Survey questionnaires completed by over 100 nationalities of airport customers during the 6-month survey period.
1. Remy Di Gregorio has been banned for 4 years for using a form of banned blood-boosting hormone EPO (Erythropoietin) is associated with which sports ________Cycling.
➢ French cyclist Remy Di Gregorio has been banned for 4 years by the International Cycling Union (UCI) for using a form of banned blood-boosting hormone EPO (Erythropoietin).
➢ Remy Di Gregorio had tested positive for the hormone during a long-distance trip from Paris to Nice during a doping test on March 8, 2018.
➢ His suspension starts from the date of the test so he is going to be suspended until 7 March 2022.
2. Which country has won the 1st edition of FIDE Chess.com Online Nations Cup ______China.
➢ China was adjudged the winner on the basis of its topping the points table in the round-robin stage.
➢ In this tournament, India finished at 5th rank.
➢ The Superfinal concluded six days of online competitive chess at the highest level between six international teams full of top grandmasters. These 6 teams are China, USA, Europe, Russia, India, Rest of the world
3. Which country will host the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup in 2021 which was postponed due COVID 19 pandemic _____India.
➢ FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup was scheduled to be held in India from November 2 to 21, 2020 across 5 venues and has been postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
➢ FIFA announced that the tournament will keep original eligibility criteria despite the postponement: players born on or after 1 January 2003 and on or before 31 December 2005 will be eligible to compete.
4. Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna awardee Deepa Malik announced her retirement, she is associated with which sports ______ Shotput.
➢ She is the 1st Indian woman to earn a medal at the Paralympic Games (silver)
➢ She announced her retirement as per the national sports code so as to hold her post as the President of the Paralympic Committee of India (PCI).
➢ She is the 1st woman para-athlete to receive Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna on August 29, 2019 and is a recipient of Arjuna Award (2012) & Padma Shri (2017).