Banking & Financial Awareness
1. For India’s ‘COVID-19 Emergency Response and Health Systems Preparedness Project’ the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has approved a loan worth of ______ $500 million.
➢ This is the first-ever health sector support from AIIB to India.
➢ Co-financed by the World Bank (WB), the undertaking is part of a $10 billion AIIB’s Covid-19 Crisis Recovery Facility to help public and private sector entities deal with the pandemic.
2. What amount has been disbursed by NABARD to State Co-operative Banks and Regional Rural Banks across the country for extending credit to farmers during the lockdown due to the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic ______ Rs 12,767 crore.
➢ The loans are being offered for one year at an interest rate of 4.8 per cent.
➢ NABARD so far has extended the refinance to the rural banks in 15 states which includes- Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Haryana, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal.
➢ NABARD received Rs 25,000 crore for refinancing RRBs, co-operative banks and Micro Finance Institutions (MFIs) from Reserve Bank of India (RBI) as refinance facility.
3. For current fiscal year 2020-21 Moody’s slashed down India’s Gross Domestic Product growth to _______zero percent.
➢ Moody earlier forecasted it at 2.6%.
➢ In 2021-22 India’s GDP growth rate will bounce back to 6.6%.
➢ Fitch’s forecast of 0.8%, International Monetary Fund’s (IMF) 1.9%, World Bank’s 1.5-2.8% and Asian Development Bank’s (ADB) estimate of 4%
➢ Investment Information and Credit Rating Agency(ICRA) estimated a contraction of up to 2% and 0.4% by Nomura
4. The Government of India has hiked its estimated gross market borrowing to _______Rs 12 lakh crore.
➢ As per the Budget Estimates it was Rs 7.80 lakh crore for Financial Year (FY) 2020-21
➢ So far, from the start of this fiscal, the government has borrowed Rs 98,000 crore through Government Securities (GSecs).
➢ In the 1st half of the FY2021, the government will increase its borrowing to Rs 6.98 lakh crores (58% of the total borrowing target) against the original Rs 4.88 lakh crore.
➢ In the 2nd half up to Rs 5 lakh crore is likely to be borrowed against Rs 2.92 lakh crore estimated in the budget
5. Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. has predicted India’s GDP growth for 2020-21 at _______ -0.4%.
➢ In April 2020, it had expected GDP growth to slip to 1.6 % in FY21.
➢ However, it was earlier 2.7 % in the general opinion.
➢ In order to deal with the situation, It expects the RBI to cut rates by 100 basis points (bps) between now and the third quarter of calendar year 2020 (Q3-2020).
6. Which insurance provider has has launched the standard health insurance policy named “Aarogya Sanjeevani Health Insurance Policy” _________ SBI General Insurance.
➢ This policy provides hospitalisation cover anywhere in India with sums insured ranging from Rs. 1 lakh to Rs. 5 lakhs.
➢ Arogya Sanjeevani Policy will cover the hospitalisation treatment cost of COVID–19 and will help in making affordable health care more accessible in times like these.
7. For India Emergency Assistance Program Loan of USD 1 billion has been approved by the _______ New Development Bank (NDB).
➢ The Emergency Assistance Program Loan aims to support the Government of India in its attempt to curb the spread of COVID-19 as well as to minimize the human, social and economic losses caused by the COVID-19 outbreak.
➢ This is NDB’s second emergency assistance program in order to help its member countries to fight COVID-19.
8. Union Finance Minister Smt Nirmala Sitaraman launched the INR-USD Futures and Options contracts in the ______BSE and NSE platforms.
➢ They were launched at the GIFT International Financial Service Centre (IFSC) in Gandhinagar, Gujarat through video conference.
➢ The contracts have been launched to increase economic activity and employment in the country.
➢ A significant market share of India has moved to other International financial Centres in the last decade.
➢ The move will help to bring back those businesses back to India.
1. Renowned personality Hari Shankar Vasudevan passed away recently, he was a famous _______Historian.
➢ He served as the Director of MaulanaAbulKalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies under the Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
➢ From 2005 to 2015, he was the Chairman of Syllabus Committees and Textbook Development Committees for Social Science, NCERT and from 2006 to 2007 he acted as a consultant on Indo-Russian Trade for the Ministry of Commerce, Government of India.
2. Famous sportsperson Manmeet Singh Walia, passed away, he was associated with which sports _______Table Tennis.
➢ He became the national champion in 1989 when he beat S Sriram in the men’s singles final in Hyderabad.
➢ He was also one of the finest and consistent performers in the 1980’s.
3. Renowned personality Betty Wright passed away recently, she was a famous ________Singer.
➢ The Grammy-winning soul singer, Betty Wright passed away.
➢ Her real name is Bessie Regina Norris. She is an R&B (Rhythm & blues) singer, songwriter and background vocalist.
➢ She received her first Grammy Award for the Best Song, “Where is the Love?”, at the age of 23.
4. Renowned personality Jerry Stiller passed away recently, he was associated with which field _______Acting.
➢ He was renowned for his recurring role as George Costanza’s father on TV’s Seinfeld for which he was also nominated for Emmy Awards in 1997.
➢ His other popular roles includes that of Arthur Spooner in TV sitcom “The King of Queens”.
➢ He received joint star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame along with his wife Meara in year 2007.
5. Renowned personality Shafique Ansari passed away recently, he was associated with which field ______Acting.
➢ TV actor Shafique Ansari passed away. He was best-known for his appearance in TV series ‘Crime Patrol’.
➢ He was a member of the Cine & TV Artistes’ Association (CINTAA) since 2008. Apart from being an actor, he was a screenwriter and an assistant director too.
➢ He is one of the screenwriters of Amitabh Bachchan and Hema Malini’s 2003 film ‘Baghban’.
1. To increase awareness about athletics and to encourage youth to take up sports World Athletics Day is observed every year on ________ 7th May.
2. World Red Cross Day is observed globally every year on ______ 8th May.
➢ This day is observed to commemorate the birth anniversary of the Red Cross and International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) founder, Henry Dunant.
➢ This day is dedicated to the people who suffer from shortage of food, several natural calamities, war as well as from an epidemic disease.
3. World Thalassaemia Day is observed globally every year on ______8th May.
➢ This day is observed to raise awareness about thalassaemia disease, its preventive measures and to avoid transmission and the importance of vaccination for children’s health, society and among the people throughout the world. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, World Thalassaemia Day 2020 will be celebrated through different online activities.
4. World Migratory Bird Day is observed globally every year on ______9th May.
➢ The aim of the day is to raise awareness of migratory birds and the importance of international cooperation to conserve them.
➢ This time the theme of World Migratory Bird Day 2020 is “Birds Connect Our World”.
➢ The theme highlights the importance of conserving and restoring the ecological connectivity and integrity of ecosystems that support the natural cycles that are essential for the survival and well-being of migratory birds.
5. Mother’s day is celebrated every year on ______Second Sunday of May (9th May 2020)
➢ Mother’s Day is widely known to salute the motherhood, to extend the influence of mothers within the society, to extend the maternal bonds to children, etc.
➢ Mother, being a protector throughout her life loves her children unconditionally.
➢ She plays a special role sort of a teacher, best friend and one’s who besides us under all circumstances.
6. National Technology Day is celebrated every year on ________11th May.
➢ This day marks the successfully tested Shakti-I nuclear missile at the Indian Army’s Pokhran Test Range in Rajasthan.
➢ This day will be focusing on rebooting the economy through Science and
➢ Every year, National Technology Day is celebrated across India on 11 May to memorize the anniversary of Shakti, the Pokhran nuclear test held on 11 May 1998.
7. International Nurse Day is observed globally on every year ______12th May.
➢ This day is observed to commemorate the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale.
➢ She was also known as Lady with the Lamp. She was the founder of modern nursing and was a British social reformer and statistician.
1. Who has been appointed as the as the Goodwill Ambassador of India by UNEP ________ Dia Mirza.
➢ The actress is also the United Nations Sustainability Development Goal Advocate.
➢ As a Goodwill Ambassador, Mirza will continue work with the UN to further spread the message on key areas including clean air, clean seas, wildlife protection and climate change.
2. Who has been nominated as an envoy to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) with an Ambassador rank by US President Donald Trump ________Manisha Singh.
➢ US President Donald Trump announces his intent to nominate Manisha Singh, who is in her late 40’s, as the US envoy to OECD on 27th April 2020
➢ Manisha Singh served as the acting secretary of Economic Growth, Energy and the Environment and the deputy assistant secretary in the Bureau of Economic, Energy and Business Affairs of the State Department.
➢ She served as the Deputy Chief Counsel to the United States Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
3. Who sworn in as the Iraq’s 6th Prime Minister _______ Mustafa al-Kadhimi.
➢ This has ended the leadership crisis that had been going on in the country for 6 months.
➢ Mustafa has become Iraq’s 1st proper PM after Adel Abdul Mahdi resigned in November 2019 due to massive antigovernmental protests.
4. Who has been appointed as the Chief Risk Officer of Yes Bank for a period of three years _____ Neeraj Dhawan.
➢ He replaced Ashish Agarwal, the current Chief Risk Officer.
➢ He assumed charge on 2nd May 2020 in place of AshishAgarwal who will be assigned to a different role in the bank.
➢ Neeraj Dhawan was the Chief risk officer for retail and business banking at Yes Bank with 29 years of experience in the banking industry and financial services.
5. Who has been appointed as the brand ambassador of Edu-tech firm ELSA Corp for India, Middle East, Australia, New Zealand and SAARC _______ Ajinkya Madhukar Rahane.
➢ Now Rahane will work with company’s mobile app ‘ELSA Speak’ to popularize it among Indian people who want to better their English pronunciation.
➢ English Language Speech Assistant Corporation (ELSA Cor) India is a education technology company based out of the US.
6. Name the person whose term has been extended as President of FIH until May 2021 by the International Hockey Federation (FIH) _______ Narinder Batra.
➢ International Hockey Federation (FIH) has extended the term of Narinder Batra as President of FIH until May 2021.
➢ Batra and therefore the Executive Board members which were due to end in October 2020 have now been extended.
➢ The Executive Board (EB) of the International Hockey Federation (FIH) has also decided to postpone the 47th FIH Congress, initially planned on 28 October-1 November 2020 in New Delhi, to May 2021.
7. Who has been appointed as the president of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) for a second term _______ Kumar Sangakkara.
➢ He is the first non-British President of the Club, he assumed office on 1st October 2019 and entered the list of people who served multiple terms.
➢ Sangakkara participated in the club tour of Pakistan his first return to the country after the terrorist attack in March 2009 on the Team Bus of Sri Lanka.
8. Which Indian sportsperson has been re-inducted into the Disciplinary Panel of National Anti-Doping Agency’s (NADA) _______ Akhil Kumar.
➢ Akhil, who is also serving in Haryana Police as ACP Gurugram, was formerly in the panel from 2017 to 2019.
➢ The Arjuna award-winning Olympian is among the most accomplished names in Indian boxing and has also been the government observer for the sport between 2017 and 2019.
➢ The NADA ADDP also features track-and-field Arjuna awardee Ashwini Nachappa among others.
9. Who has been appointed as the Director-General of Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) _______ V. Vidyavathi.
➢ Vidyavathi will be serving in the rank of Additional Secretary to the Government of India.
➢ Her appointment is confirmed by the order of the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
10. Who has been appointed as the new chairman of the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) ______Manoj Ahuja.
➢ Odisha cadre IAS, Manoj Ahuja has been appointed the new chairman of the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE).
➢ He is currently served as Special Director, Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration, Department of Personnel and Training.
➢ He will replace Anita Karwal as the chairman of the CBSE.