IMPORTANT NEWS - INDIA
1. Which Indian Institute of Management (IIM) will soon be launching an e-learning hub and library as a pilot project for villagers _________ IIM Kozhikode.
➢ The programme aims to create a virtuous cycle between society and academic system by providing knowledge and practices for the emerging professions.
➢ Unnat Bharat Abhiyaan is a flagship programme by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD). Unnat Bharat Abhiyaan is aimed at linking the Higher Education Institutions with a set of at least five villages.
2. What is the name that has been given to the India’s premium cotton _________ Kasturi Cotton.
➢ Now India’s premium cotton would be known as ‘Kasturi Cotton’ in the world cotton trade. The Kasturi Cotton brand will represent Whiteness, Brightness, Softness, Purity, Luster, Uniqueness and Indianness.
➢ India is the second largest cotton producer and the largest consumer of cotton in the world.It produces about six million tonnes of cotton every year which is about 23 per cent of the world cotton. She said, India produces about 51 per cent of the total organic cotton production of the world.
3. Where is the headquarter of Dhruva Space located that has bagged National Startup Awards 2020 in the space category _________ Chennai.
➢ A total of 38 startups were awarded, one in each of the 35 categories and 3 special categories in the 12 sectors.
➢ The winning startup founders will get a cash prize of Rs. 5 lakh and an opportunity to present their solutions to relevant public authorities and corporates. Incubators and accelerators will get Rs. 15 lakh as the winning amount.
4. Where is the headquarters of Indian Sign Language Research and Training Center situated _________ New Delhi.
➢ The ISLRTC is under the patronage of the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
➢ Initially the centre was located at the Institute for Physically Handicapped in New Delhi.
5. PM Narendra Modi launches physical distribution of property cards under which scheme ________ SVAMITVA.
➢ Under this scheme, beneficiaries of ‘SVAMITVA Scheme' can use the property as a financial asset for taking loans and other financial benefits.
➢ SVAMITVA Scheme is a Central Sector Scheme on National Panchayat Day 24th April 2020. In the States, the Revenue Department /Land Records Department are the Nodal Department and shall carry out the scheme with the support of State Panchayati Raj Department.
6. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will release a commemorative coin of 100 rupees in honour of __________ Vijaya Raje Scindia.
➢ One of the founder members of BJP, Vijaya Raje Scindia is popularly known as the Rajmata of Gwalior.
➢ The coin is being released in celebration of birth centenary of Vijaya Raje Scindia.
➢ The special commemorative coin was minted by the Finance Ministry as a part of these celebrations. This coin will be released by the Prime Minister on her birth anniversary.
7. What is India’s rank in the health spending index 2020 released by Oxfam __________155th.
➢ Globally, the report found, only 26 of the 158 countries surveyed were spending the recommended 15% of their budgets on health. “Nigeria, Bahrain and India, (the last of) which is currently experiencing the world’s fastestgrowing outbreak of Covid-19, were among the world’s worst performing countries in tackling inequality going into the pandemic
8. What is India’s rank among 158 countries in the 2020 Commitment to Reducing Inequality (CRI) Index _______129th.
➢ According to the report, India has spent only 4 percent of its budget on health during the Pandemic, which is the Fourth Lowest in the world.
➢ Nigeria, Bahrain and India are among the World’s worst performing countries in tackling inequality during the pandemic.
➢ With 4% of Budget on Health, India has been ranked at 155 (4th from the Bottom) on the health spending index.
9. The National Maritime foundation of India joined hand with which country to foster cooperation in the Indo-pacific region _________ Taiwan.
➢ The think tanks will set up a joint task force to deepen the bilateral dialogue in the Indo-pacific region. They will also conduct joint Research and expand cooperation.
➢ The Asia exchange Foundation is waiting for the covid-19 travel restrictions to get over in order to send a delegation to India to hold direct talks. The foundation is the organiser of the Yushan Forum.
10. Which institutions and United States Agency for International Development (USAID) jointly launched the India Energy Modelling Forum (IEMF) under the US–India Strategic Energy Partnership (SEP) _______NITI Aayog.
➢ IEMF aims to engage Indian researchers, knowledge partners, think tanks and national and international government agencies and departments for long-term energy planning.
➢ The Sustainable Growth is one of the four pillars of the US–India SEP entailing energy data management, energy modelling and collaboration on low carbon technologies as three key activities.
IMPORTANT NEWS - STATE
1. Which state government has announced a ‘Digital Seva Setu’ programme to ensure optimum utilisation of technology for public welfare in rural areas ________ Gujarat.
➢ Under the ‘Digital Seva Setu’ program, public welfare services will be made available in all the 14,000-gram panchayats in the state by connecting village panchayats through an optical fibre network.
2. Which state government has launched a mobile app “Kisan Rath” that connects more than 10,000 farmers, 50 farmerproducer organizations and 1,000 verified agricultural traders on its interface ________ Assam.
➢ The app has been customized by National Informatics Centre (NIC) Assam to suit the requirements of the state.
➢ It is available in 3 languages- Assamese, Hindi and English.
➢ PM Kisan Samman Nidhi, Krishi Sinchai Yojana, Fasal Bima Yojana, KCC etc., have strengthened agricultural ecosystem in the country and made agriculture a dignified calling.
3. Which state government has launched “Mukhya Mantri Saur Swarojgar Yojana”_________ Uttarakhand.
➢ The scheme is aimed at promoting self-employment of the youth and promoting the production of Green Energy.
➢ The targeted beneficiaries include youths and migrant workers, who returned home after leaving jobs in various parts of the country due to pandemic.
4. Which state government has exempted road tax on its battery-operated vehicles under its new Electric Vehicle Policy _________ Delhi.
➢ The Delhi government has exempted road tax on its battery-operated vehicles under its new Electric Vehicle Policy.
➢ The Transport department, in it notification issued stated that the Lieutenant Governor of the National Capital Territory of Delhi exempted the tax levied upon all battery electric vehicles with immediate effect.
5. Which state government has launched “Lab on Wheels” to test the water quality in the state under Jal Jeevan Mission ____________Haryana.
➢ The water quality of Haryana is mainly affected by fluoride, iron, nitrate and alkalinity.
➢ Lab on wheels is a mobile laboratory. The mobile laboratory has been launched under Jal Jeevan Mission.
➢ The mobile laboratory will test for alkalinity, hardness, chlorine, nitrate, zinc, turbidity, PH and other microbiological tests.
6. Which state becomes the first state in the country to make public education completely digital _________ Kerala.
➢ The project of making public education completely digital in Kerala was implemented by Kerala Infrastructure and Technology for Education.
➢ Around 3,74,274 digital services were distributed in 16,027 schools in Kerala.
➢ The project also set up high-tech labs in more than 11,275 schools at primary and secondary levels.
7. Which state government has become the first in the country to decide to form a Welfare Fund Board for the uplift of farmers in the state _______ Kerala.
➢ The state cabinet decided to set up the board to be known as ‘Kerala Karshaka Kshemanidhi Board’.
➢ For the farmers to become a member of the Board, they need to pay Rs 100 as registration fee and a monthly fee of Rs 100.The government will provide an equivalent share of upto Rs 250 to the members of the Welfare Fund.
8. A toll-free government helpline for mental health ”Mann Samvad” was launched by which state ________ Rajasthan.
➢ The helpline 1800-180-0018 launched by the state government to continuously strengthening mental health services during the coronavirus period.
➢ The facility of free tele-counselling is being provided to patients with mental health issues that through the helpline.
9. In the country’s first and unique drive the agriculture department of which state has collaborated with the Postal Department to get farmers enrolled in the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PM-KISAN) scheme _______ Goa.
➢ Three equal installments of Rs 2,000 each every four months are transferred into the farmers account. The scheme defines family as husband, wife and minor children.
➢ The local postman who we are used to seeing bringing mail to our doorstep so far will come to fill the form for the 11,000 farmers in the state who are eligible for this scheme as per the department records.
10. The multi-national food and beverage major PepsiCo is setting up a greenfield potato chips production unit in which state __________ Uttar Pradesh.
➢ The unit is being set up in Kosi - Mathura on 35 acres of land provided by UP State Industrial Development Authority (UPSIDA).
➢ The unit, which is expected to commence commercial production by middle of the next year, will facilitate direct and indirect employment to about 1,500 patrons.
11. Hollongi airport which a greenfield airport is being built in which state _________ Arunachal Pradesh.
➢ The new domestic airport, with an area of 4,100 square metres, the Hollongi Airport will be able to handle 200 passengers during peak hours.
➢ The terminal will be an energy efficient building provisioned with Rain Water Harvesting system and sustainable landscape. The tentative date for completion of the project is November, 2022.
IMPORTANT NEWS - WORLD
1. Which global organization will jointly establish country’s first of its kind Advanced Manufacturing hub (AMHUB) in association with Guidance _________ World Economic Forum.
➢ AMHUB is Advanced Manufacturing hub and is first of its kind in the country. Guidance is the nodal investment promotion agency of the state of Tamil Nadu.
➢ AMHUB will help the state in the sectors of solar energy, electronics, electric mobility and textiles.
➢ It will help boost production sector of Tamil Nadu by identifying regional opportunities brought by Fourth Industrial Revolution.
2. Which country has successfully tested a new hypersonic anti-ship cruise missile Tsirkon __________ Russia.
➢ The Tsirkon missile was fired from the Admiral Gorshkov frigate in the White Sea in the Russian Arctic and successfully hit its target.
➢ Russia boasts of developing a number of "invincible" weapons that surpass existing systems and include Sarmat intercontinental missiles and Burevestnik cruise missiles.
➢ The first Avangard hypersonic missiles were put into service in December last year.
3. The Union Cabinet approved signing of an agreement with which country that is aimed at enhancing cooperation in emerging technologies, protection of critical infrastructure, cyberspace and to mitigate threats to communication networks _________ Japan.
➢ The approval to the pact by the cabinet comes in the midst of growing concerns over cyberattacks from China, particularly after India banned over 100 mobile apps with Chinese links.
4. As per the latest report of FIS which country has become the global leader in real-time financial transactions with 41 million transactions per day __________ India.
➢ The Covid-19 pandemic has seen India doubling its every day real-time transactions at 41 million, says the latest report from FIS,
➢ FIS is a leading provider of technology solutions for merchants, banks and capital markets firms globally.
➢ According to the report released, six other countries also saw more than doubling of their real-time payment transactions year-over-year, while four saw at least a twofold increase in transaction value.
5. Sabah Al Khalid Al Sabah resigned from the post of Prime Minister of which country ________ Kuwait.
➢ He took charge as the PM in 2019.
➢ He started his career in 1978, joining the ministry of foreign affairs, where he worked at various capacities, including being a member of Kuwait’s permanent mission to the United Nations (1983-1989).
6. The Blue Flag programme is operated under the auspices of the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE), its headquarter is located in ____________ Copenhagen, Denmark.
➢ The beaches which got International Blueflag Certification are Shivrajpur beach in Dwarka Gujarat, Ghoghla beach in Diu, Kasarkod and Padubidri in Karnataka, Kappad in Kerala, Rushikonda in Andhra Pradesh, Golden Beach in Odisha and Radhanagar beach in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
➢ The iconic Blue Flag is one of the world’s most recognised voluntary awards for beaches, marinas.
7. As per the announcement made by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) which country will continue to remain under “grey list” __________ Pakistan.
➢ The Asia-pacific group of FATF submitted a report titled “Follow up report on mutual evaluation of Pakistan”.
➢ The report is first of its kind. The decision of putting Pakistan under grey list was taken based on this report.
8. Which country has introduced the death penalty for rape _________Bangladesh.
➢ Demonstrations have broken out across the country after harrowing footage of a group of men stripping and attacking a woman went viral on social media.
➢ The clip sparked outrage in the South Asian country, where activists say only a tiny percentage of sexual assault victims see justice.
➢ Previously, the maximum punishment for rape was life imprisonment
9. The annual meeting of World Economic Forum (WEF) 2021 will be organized in which city ________ Lucerne.
➢ The World Economic Forum (WEF) said it will hold its Annual Meeting 2021 in Lucerne-Burgenstock, Switzerland, from May 18 to 21, as against the traditional venue of ski resort town Davos in January-end.
➢ The change in schedule and venue was necessitated by the COVID-19 pandemic.
10. Which become the first country in the world to approve genetically modified wheat _______ Argentina.
➢ The drought-resistant HB4 wheat variety was developed by Argentine biotechnology company Bioceres, working with the National University and Conicet.
➢ Bioceres’ HB4 wheat is resistant to drought and tolerates the herbicide glufosinate sodium, a combination the company says can help boost yields on dry years.
HONOR & AWARDS
1. Which group of persons won the Chemistry Nobel Prize 2020 ________ Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer A. Doudna.
➢ The 2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry is awarded to Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer A. Doudna “for the development of a method for genome editing”.
➢ The Nobel Prize in Chemistry is awarded by The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Stockholm, Sweden.
2. Who will be conferred the prestigious Sarala Puraskar for his poetry work ‘Setebelaku Nathiba’ __________ Nityanand Nayak.
➢ The poet will be felicitated with a cash award of `5 lakh and a citation.
➢ Two other eminent personalities from the State – Ranjit Kumar Nag and Shyamsundar Pattanaik – will be felicitated for their contribution to fields of music and art respectively.
➢ While Nag will be awarded the Ila Panda Sangeet Samman, Pattanaik would be felicitated with Ila Panda Chitrakala Samman.
3. Who has been awarded with the Nobel Prize in Literature for 2020 ________ Louise Glück.
➢ The Nobel Prize in Literature is awarded by The Swedish Academy, Stockholm, Sweden.
➢ The American poet Louise Glück was born in 1943 in New York and lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
➢ She has received several prestigious awards, among them the Pulitzer Prize (1993) and the National Book Award (2014).
4. The Nobel Prize for Economics, 2020 was awarded to Paul R Milogrom and Robert B Wilson for improvement to which economic theory __________ Auction theory.
➢ They were awarded for improvements to Auction Theory and also for inventing new auction formats.
➢ The prize is also called Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel.
➢ The theory formulated by Milgrom allowed calculating common and private values that vary from bidder to bidder.
5. Who secured the second position in the Forbes India Rich list for 2020 ________ Gautam Adani.
➢ Amid the Covid-19 pandemic which hit India hard and led to a sharp economic contraction, half of the nation’s 100 richest on the 2020 Forbes India Rich List saw gains.
➢ Reliance Group Chairman Mukesh Ambani, who topped the list for the 13th year “accounted for more than half of those gains”.
6. The Nobel Peace Prize 2020 has been awarded to which of the following organization for efforts in order to Combat Hunger ___________ World Food Programme.
➢ The award comes with a 10-milion krona ($1.1 million) cash prize and a gold medal to be handed out at a ceremony in Oslo, Norway, on December 10, the anniversary of prize founder Alfred Nobel’s death. This year’s ceremony will be scaled down due to the pandemic.
1. Who has won the 2020 Eifel Grand Prix, held at the Nürburgring in Nürburg, Germany __________ Lewis Hamilton.
➢ This is Hamilton’s 7th win of the season and 91st career race victory, which was till now achieved only by Michael Schumacher.
➢ Max Verstappen (Red Bull – Netherlands) came second followed by Daniel Ricciardo (Renault, Australia) at third position.
2. Who won the men’s 2020 French Open Single Title ________ Rafael Nadal.
➢ This is his 13th French Open men’s singles title and 20th Grand Slam title.
➢ The Spaniard defeated Novak Djokovic 6-0, 6-2, 7-5 in 2 hours and 41 minutes at Court Philippe-Chatrier in Paris.
3. Who won the women’s 2020 French Open Single Title _______ Iga Swiatek.
➢ The 19-year-old Swiatek, at 54 the lowest-ranked woman to capture the Roland Garros title in the modern era, is the ninth first-time Major champion in the past 14 Grand Slams.
➢ Swiatek is the youngest women’s French Open winner since Monica Seles 28 years ago.
➢ Swiatek was only the second Polish woman to reach a Grand Slam final in the Open era after Agnieszka Radwanska at Wimbledon in 2012.
4. Who won the 2020 Junior Speed Online Chess Championship _________ Nihal Sarin.
➢ The title win earned the 16-year old Sarin $ 8,766 and enabled him to qualify for the 2020 Speed Chess Championship Final which will feature the world’s best players.
➢ Sarin had beaten American Andrew Tang, Australia’s Anton Smirnov and Armenian Haik Martirosyan en route the title.
5. Which team has won the National Basketball Association (NBA) Championship 2020 ________ Los Angeles Lakers.
➢ This is the 17th NBA title win for LA Lakers and also there first since 2010, after late Kobe Bryant’s fifth and final title a decade ago.
➢ LeBron James of the Lakers’ was named the NBA Finals Most Valuable Player (MVP) for the fourth time in his career.
➢ With this, he became the first player in league history to be named Finals MVP with three different franchises.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
1. The book titled ‘Deh Vechwa Karani, is autobiography of which former Union Minister _______ Balasaheb Vikhe Patil.
➢ The autobiography of Dr Patil has been titled ‘Deh Vechwa Karani,’ means ‘dedicating one’s life for a noble cause.’
➢ Dr Patil served as Member of Lok Sabha for multiple terms. He died in 2016 at the age of 84.
2. Who has written the book titled ” The Khalistan Conspiracy” _______ GBS Sidhu.
➢ The book published by HarperCollins will be released on October 24.
➢ The contents of this book revolve around a two-phased, top-secret operation, which he named “Operation Bhindranwale-Khalistan”. It was initiated and managed by some senior and influential Congress leaders operating from the prime minister’s residential office at 1 Akbar Road, New Delhi.
SCIENCE AND DEFENCE
1. Which Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) has signed an MoU with the Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC), Pune to set up a Rs 17-crore supercomputing facility __________IIT Guwahati.
➢ The agreement is for a period of five years
➢ The new supercomputer with "650 TFLOPS is more powerful and a technologically superior facility", which will play an important role in the field of scientific and engineering applications.
➢ IIT-G's Computer and Communication Centre is already equipped with 'Param Ishan', a '250 TF' supercomputer.
2. Intel India in association with International Institute of Information Technology (IIIT-H), has set up an artificial intelligence research centre in which city of India _________ Hyderabad.
➢ It will apply AI solutions to population-scale problems in the Indian context, with focus on challenges in the healthcare and smart mobility segments.
➢ The center will solve India’s population-scale challenges in sectors such as healthcare and smart mobility.
3. Which missile has been test fired by the Defence Research and Development Organisation that was failed due to technical snag _________ Nirbhay.
➢ The missile developed engine problems within 8 minutes of its launch.
➢ Nirbhay was the tenth missile to be fired by India in the last 35 days.
4. Name the indigenous combat drone which was successfully tested by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) __________ Rustom-2.
➢ Rustom-2 is capable of carrying different combinations of payloads, which includes electronic intelligence systems, situational awareness systems and also synthetic apertureradar.
5. In association with which Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) the “Tech for Tribals” initiative has been launched by Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) and Chhattisgarh Minor Forest Produce Federation ________ IIT Kanpur.
➢ The initiative aims for holistic development of Tribals with focus on Entrepreneurship development, soft skills, Information Technology (IT) and Business Development.
➢ As part of this initiative, TRIFED has partnered with National Institutions such as IIT Kanpur, Art of Living, Bangalore, TISS (Tata Institute of Social Sciences) Mumbai, KISS (Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences) Bhubaneswar, Vivekananda Kendra, Tamil Nadu and SRIJAN (Self-Reliant Initiatives through Joint Action), Rajasthan to impart training to the beneficiaries.
6. Name the India’s first indigenous anti-radiation missile that was successfully test fired from a Sukhoi-30 fighter jet __________ Rudram 1.
➢ The supersonic-capable missile can be launched at speeds ranging from 0.6 mach to 2 mach, i.e., twice the speed of sound.
➢ IT can be launched from a height of 500m to 15 km. Rudram-1 is India’s first indigenous anti-radiation missile.