IMPORTANT NEWS - INDIA
1. Which helpline has been launched by the Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry for mental health rehabilitation ______ KIRAN.
➢ The helpline was launched in view of the growing incidence of Mental Illness, particularly in the wake of COVID-19 pandemic.
➢ The helpline – 1800-500-0019 will provide relief and support to persons with mental illness.
2. Which city tops the list of destinations for a career in Artificial Intelligence (AI) ______ Bengaluru.
➢ Job searches in the field have risen 106 per cent in the past year (June 2019 to June 2020), and this has increased further by 20 per cent from March to July 2020, in line with the onset of the pandemic.
➢ AI-related job postings have also seen a steady rise in the last two years, with a 51 per cent jump between June 2019 and June 2020.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the Patrika Gate in which city of India ______ Jaipur.
➢ The Iconic Gate is built by the Patrika Group of Newspapers on the Jawaharlal Nehru Marg in the Pink City.
➢ Prime Minister Modi also released two books written by the Group Chairman on the occasion, authored by Gulab Kothari, Editor in Chief of Rajasthan Patrika Group and Chairman of Patrika Group of Newspaper.
4. As per NSO report on ‘household social consumption’ in its 75th round of the survey which state emerged as least literate state in the country with 66.4% of literacy rate ______ Andhra Pradesh.
➢ As per the report Kerala again emerged as the most literate state in the country with 96.2% literacy followed by Delhi (88.7%), Uttarakhand ( 87.6%), Himachal Pradesh (86.6%) and Assam (85.9%).
➢ The overall literacy rate in India is pegged at 77.7% where rural areas have 73.5% literacy rate and urban areas has 87.7%.
5. Who will chair the Multidimensional Poverty Index Coordination Committee (MPICC) constituted by the NITI Aayog ______ Sanyukta Samaddar.
➢ It has members from Ministry of Power, Women & Child Development, Telecommunication, Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation, Rural Development, Petroleum & Natural Gas, Food & Public Distribution, Drinking Water & Sanitation, Education, Housing & Urban Affairs, Health & Family Welfare, and Financial Services.
6. The National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) has partnered with which networking company to provide access to free learning resources for imparting digital skills to youth for enhancing employability ______ LinkedIn.
➢ According to LinkedIn, Indian professionals with digital skills are 20 percent more in demand than professionals without digital skills in 2020.
➢ Under the partnership, 10 free LinkedIn learning paths, consisting of 140 courses for a range of in-demand tech jobs will be made available for free on eSkill India digital platform till March 31, 2021. It will help India’s youth to develop skills needed for jobs.
7. Which entity has launched the Aatmanirbhar Bharat ARISE-Atal New India Challenges ______ Atal Innovation Mission (AIM).
➢ The programme will spur applied research and innovation in Indian MSMEs and startups.
➢ The initiative will help identify and promote innovations necessary for boosting the MSME sector.
8. The first World Solar Technology Summit 2020 held virtually was attended by how many countries ______ 149.
➢ The summit was inaugurated by Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi.
➢ The main objective of the summit is to pay attention to state-of-the-art technologies and next-generation technologies.
9. Which scheme has been launched by the Prime Minister Naredra Modi aims to focus on the focused and sustainable development of the fisheries sector in the country ______ Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY).
➢ The scheme will be implemented at an estimated cost of Rs. 20,050 crores within a period of 5 years from the fiscal year 2020-21 to the fiscal year 2024-25 in all states and union territories.
➢ The scheme was announced as a part of the centre's AatmaNirbhar Bharat Package.
➢ The investment of Rs. 20,050 crores under PMMSY is the highest ever in the fisheries sector.
10. Which International airport has QR code-enabled contactless check-in mechanism for the passengers ______ Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai.
➢ Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai has put in place a QR code-enabled contactless check-in mechanism for the passengers, which allows them the use of their mobile phones to remotely operate check-in and self-bag drop kiosks for printing boarding passes and bag tags.
➢ Passengers at Mumbai airport just need to scan the QR code shown on the kiosks to access a remote keyboard and mouse on their mobile device, without touching the kiosks.
11. Under whose chairmanship the Government of India has constituted an Expert Committee for making an overall assessment of relief to bank borrowers related to waiver of interest and waiver of interest on interest on the COVID-19 related moratorium ______ Rajiv Mehrishi.
➢ State Bank of India will provide secretarial support to the committee.
➢ The Committee may consult banks or other stakeholders, as deemed necessary, for the purpose.
12. Hubballi Railway Station in Karnataka has been renamed after ______ Siddharoodha Swamiji.
➢ Union government has approved long-pending demand of Hubballians of renaming the Hubballi railway station.
➢ Name of Hubballi railway station, which is headquarters of South Western Railway, is being changed for the second time in the last five years. It was changed in 2015 from ‘Hubli’ to ‘Hubballi’.
13. ‘Streets for People’ challenge has been launched by which entity ______ Union Housing and Urban Affairs (HUA) Ministry.
➢ The objective of CSCAF is to provide a clear roadmap for cities towards combating Climate Change while planning and implementing their actions, including investments.
14. As per DPIIT which state emerged as the best performer in developing start-up ecosystem for budding entrepreneurs ______ Gujarat.
➢ Gujarat was categorised as the best performer among all States and one Union Territory (UT) Delhi, barring northeastern States and other UTs.
➢ A total of 22 States and 3 UTs participated in the exercise.
15. Which institution has developed Indian Brain Templates (IBT) and a brain atlas ______ NIMHANS.
➢ The research by a team of doctors led by Bharath Holla, Professor of Psychiatry, Department of Integrative Medicine; Rose Dawn Bharath, Professor and Head of the Department of Neuro-Imaging and Interventional Radiology; and Dr. Benegal, was published in the journal Human Brain Mapping on August 26
16. Which Shrine/Temple has been granted Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA) registration enabling it to receive foreign donations ______ Golden Temple.
➢ Govt's decision to allow FCRA to Sri Harmandir Sahib will deepen the connection of Seva between the Sangat and Sri Darbar Sahib
➢ FCRA registration has been given in the name of 'Sachkhand Sri Harmandir Saheb Sri Darbar Saheb Punjab Association', a body set up in 1925
➢ The FCRA will be valid for 5 years.
17. Which became the second Indian firm to attain a market valuation of over Rs. 9 lakh crore after Reliance Industries Limited ______ Tata Consultancy Services (TCS).
➢ The company’s market valuation went past ₹9 lakh crore in early trade helped by a rally in its share price.
➢ The stock of the software services firm gained 2.91% to ₹ 2,442.80 — its record high — on the BSE.
18. Which IT company will acquire Czech Republic-based GuideVision for up to €30 million (about ₹260.4 crore) ______ Infosys.
➢ The acquisition is being carried out by Infy Consulting Company Ltd, a step-down subsidiary of Infosys Ltd.
➢ As per the regulatory filing, the cost of acquisition is “up to €30 million including earn-out and bonuses”.
IMPORTANT NEWS - STATE
1. First ever Cannabis medicine project will be setup in which state/UT ______ Jammu and Kashmir.
➢ Cannabis Medicine Project will be set up in collaboration with Canada and Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine (IIIM) in Jammu.
➢ It is the first major foreign investment in Jammu and Kashmir after it became a Union Territory (UT).
2. Which state constituted a seven-member high-level committee to study the National Education Policy of the Centre and to make recommendations ______ Tamil Nadu.
➢ Vice-Chancellors of Manonmaniam Sundaranar University K. Pitchumani; Alagappa University N. Rajendran; Madurai Kamaraj University M. Krishnan; and Thiruvalluvar University S. Thamarai Selvi are amomg the members in the panel.
3. Which state government has launched Educational WhatsApp Chatbot “Apka Mitra” and Online Admission Platform for UnderGraduate courses in government-aided and self-financed colleges for the new academic session 2020-21 ______ Haryana.
➢ ‘Apka Mitra’ is the first-of-its-kind educational WhatsApp Chatbot to resolve admission related queries of the students.
➢ Students can send a message on Whatsapp chatbot number 7419444449 to get information regarding admission & scholarship.
4. Which state government has launched Sampoorna Poshana Yojana scheme for providing food to lactating mothers and pregnant women so as to fulfil their nutritional requirements ______ Andhra Pradesh.
➢ The scheme aims at providing food to lactating mothers and pregnant women so as to fulfil their nutritional requirements.
➢ The scheme will bring down malnutrition among the vulnerable section of state.
5. Which state government has inaugurated an online portal for e-filing of consumers’ complaints ______ Delhi.
➢ Accessible via delhistatecommission.nic.in, the software has been developed by National Informatic Centre (NIC) in coordination with State Bank of India, which is providing payment gateway for payment of fees digitally.
➢ The Delhi State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (DSCDRC) decided to launch the portal for the convenience of consumers especially due to the pandemic.
6. Which state government has launched Kitchen Garden to promote nutritious food, as part of the Poshan Maah ______ Assam.
➢ Kitchen Garden or Nutri garden will be set up at Anganwadi Centres and Government Primary Schools across the state.
➢ Poshan Maah is India’s flagship programme, launched in March 2018 to improve the nutritional status of children up to 6 years, adolescent girls, pregnant women and lactating mothers.
7. Which state government has launched a portal for eye donation ______ Tamil Nadu.
➢ He also pledged to donate his eyes as part of the National Eye Donation Fortnight.
➢ The portal will enable persons who wish to pledge to donate their eyes -www.hmis.tn.gov.in/eye-donor.
8. Karnataka Chief Minister, B.S. Yediyurappa inaugurated a flyover named after which historic personality ______ Veer Savarkar.
➢ The inauguration of the 400-metre long flyover built on Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan Road in the city.
➢ The Bengaluru’s civic body Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) built the flyover at the cost of Rs 34 crore.
9. Robotic Process Automation (RPA) software company, UiPath has partnered with which state’s Skill Development Corporation to bridge the growing skill requirements ______ Andhra Pradesh.
➢ The programme is designed to bridge the growing skill requirements and build RPA resiliency in more than 50,000 students, in the next one year.
➢ In line with this, APSSDC will act as the regional center for all UiPath Academic Alliance activities in the State. To start off, UiPath will onboard 100 APSSDC institutes.
10. From which state country’s second and South India’s first “Kisan Train” was flagged off ______ Andhra Pradesh.
➢ Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy & Union Minister for Agriculture Narendra Singh Tomar flagged off the train, via a video link from New Delhi and Amaravati. This train, loaded with 14 parcel vans, will cover a distance of 2,150 km in 40 hours.
11. An Integrated Grievance Redress and Monitoring System (IGRAMS) has been launched in which state/UTs ______ Jammu & Kashmir.
➢ The system will replace the current portal launched by the government in 2018.
➢ This is the first UT that will be linked to the central government system—CPGRAMS.
12. Which state government has launched ‘GARIMA’ scheme to ensure the economic safety and social dignity of core sanitation workers in the state ______ Odisha.
➢ State Housing and Urban Development department will be the scheme’s implementing agency in all the 114 Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) of Odisha.
➢ The scheme will benefit around 20,000 core sanitation workers and their families.
13. India’s largest piggery mission was launched at which state ______ Meghalaya.
➢ With funding of Rs 200 crore, the mission will have a transformative effect benefitting over 20,000 enterprises in Meghalaya.
➢ The Meghalaya State Piggery Mission was launched with the support of NCDC.
IMPORTANT NEWS - WORLD
1. Which country will host the G20 Education Ministers Meeting to be held at the end of 2020 ______ Saudi Arabia.
➢ The Saudi Arabian Presidency has selected the following theme for the G20’s 2020 activities: Realizing Opportunities of the 21st Century for All.
➢ The meet was chaired by Saudi Arabia’s Education Minister Dr Hamad Al-Asheikh where India was represented by Union Minister of Education, Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank, in the virtual mode.
2. With which country and eight companies of that country the Andhra Pradesh government has signed MoUs in the food processing sector ______ The Netherlands.
➢ Representatives of seven companies from across the country and the Netherlands government signed the MoU in the presence of chief minister YS Jaganmohan Reddy.
➢ These companies would help farmers through the state government in the food processing sector, including harvesting, processing and packaging of fruits, vegetables, fish and aqua products.
3. Zolfaghar-99 is an annual three-day naval exercise of which country that was held near the strategic Strait of Hormuz ______ Iran.
➢ Units from the navy, air force and ground forces participated in the maneuver in the Gulf of Oman.
➢ Iranian submarines and drones were used during the exercise.
➢ The annual maneuver dubbed as Zolfaghar-99 was aimed at improving readiness in confronting foreign threats and any possible invasion.
4. With a focus on enhancing cooperation in the Indo-Pacific region which three countries have held the first trilateral dialogue ______ India, France, Australia.
➢ The three countries also had an exchange on the priorities, challenges and trends in regional and global multilateral institutions, including the best ways to strengthen and reform multilateralism.
➢ The trilateral dialogue helped underscore the goal of guaranteeing peace, security and adherence to international law in the Indo-Pacific.
5. India and which country signed the Reciprocal Provision of Supplies and Services agreement boosting the interoperability between the armed forces of the two countries ______ Japan.
➢ The agreement was signed by Defence Secretary Dr Ajay Kumar and Ambassador of Japan Mr Suzuki Satoshi
➢ This agreement establishes the enabling framework for closer cooperation between the Armed Forces of India and Japan in the reciprocal provision of supplies and services while engaged in bilateral training activities, United Nations Peacekeeping Operations, Humanitarian International Relief and other mutually agreed activities
HONOR & AWARDS
1. Who has been conferred with the prestigious Indira Gandhi Peace Prize for the year 2019 ______ Sir David Attenborough.
➢ He is an English broadcaster and a historian.
➢ He is popular for writing and presenting the BBC Natural History Unit.
➢ He worked to make aware to preserve and protect the biodiversity of the planet.
2. American global aerospace and defence technology company, Northrop Grumman, announced to name its next Cygnus capsule after which astronaut ______ Kalpana Chawla.
➢ Northrop Grumman, an American global aerospace and defence technology company, announced that its next Cygnus capsule will be named the “S.S. Kalpana Chawla”, in memory of the mission specialist who died with her six crewmates aboard the space shuttle Columbia in 2003.
3. Name the Indian filmmaker who won the best screenplay award at the Venice Film Festival ______ Chaitanya Tamhane.
➢ Chinese-American filmmaker Chloe Zhao bagged the top prize of the coveted Golden Lion for her drama Nomadland.
➢ The Jury headed by two-time Oscar winner Cate Blanchett.
➢ Mr. Tamhane a, became the first director from the country to compete in the main category of a European film festival after Mira Nair.
1. Who has been crowned as Wushu World Champion Iran’s Maryam Hashemi failed her dope test ______ Poonam Khatri.
➢ Her medal got upgraded after Iran’s Maryam Hashemi failed her dope test.
➢ Maryam won the gold medal in the Women’s Sanda event at this Championship last year in October.
➢ She defeated Poonam in the 75 kg category in the final which was held in China.
2. Who among the following has won the men’s singles title at the 2020 US Open tournament ______ Dominic Thiem.
➢ Thiem is also the first player to capture a Grand Slam title from two sets down since Gaston Gaudio at 2004 French Open.
➢ For the first time in six years, there was a first-time Grand Slam champion at the US Open.
3. Japan’s Naomi Osaka has won the women’s single title at the 2020 US Open tournament defeating ______ Victoria Azarenka.
➢ Osaka previously won the title at the 2018 US Open and 2019 Australian Open.
➢ She is now the first Asian player to win three Grand Slam singles titles.
➢ The victory has moved up Osaka to number 3 in the world rankings.
4. The Formula one driver who will drive for the Racing Point in the next season ______ Sebastian Vettel.
➢ Four-time Formula One champion Sebastian Vettel will drive for Racing Point starting next season.
➢ The team, which will be renamed Aston Martin.
➢ The team said Vettel has signed for the 2021 season “and beyond" but did not reveal the length of the contract.
5. Who has won the Formula One (F1) Tuscan Grand Prix 2020 ______ Lewis Hamilton.
➢ This was Hamilton’s 6th win of the season and 90th F1 victory of his career.
➢ Mercedes racer Valtteri Bottas (Finland) bagged 2nd position, followed by Alexander Albon (Red Bull-Thailand) at the F1 Tuscan Grand Prix 2020
➢ It was the 1st edition of Tuscan Grand Prix and 9th race of F1 2020
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
1. Who has authored the book titled ‘Breaking The Cocoon @ 40’ ______ Radha Nair.
➢ Acting on her brother’s suggestion, Radha decided to write about her experience of working as a dream merchant in the ad agency.
➢ However, she realised that it would be a slim book indeed if it were to cover only her ad agency days.
SCIENCE AND DEFENCE
1. The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully flight-tested a Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle (HSTDV) with the ability to travel at ______ six time of speed of sound.
➢ The test was conducted from Dr A P J Abdul Kalam Launch Complex at Wheeler Island, off the coast of Odisha.
➢ Now, India has joined the elite club of the United States, Russia and China to develop and successfully test Hypersonic Technology.