Very short answer questions
I. Choose the correct answer to fill in the blanks.
7. Female anopheles
8. Ronald ross
9. Bad air
11. Nobel prize
II. Tick (✔) the correct answer.
a) What does a mosquito do when it bites us?
iv) It sucks blood from our body
b) What is the symptom that shows that a person has malaria?
c) How do mosquitoes locate human beings to bite?
iv) They use their sense of smell
d) In which season is Malaria more common?
i) Rainy season
e) Where will you look for mosquitoes’ eggs in water?
iv) Everywhere in water
IV. Tick (✔) the food items which contain iron.
Jaggery, Amla and green leafy
1 mark questions. (Short answer questions)
I. Identify the pictures and write their names in the blanks.
3. Larvae (baby mosquito)
4. Ronald ross
II. Answer the following questions.
1. People get malaria by being bitten by an infective female Anopheles mosquito
2. high fever, shaking chills and sweating
3. An optical instrument that uses a lens or a combination of lenses to produce magnified images of small objects, especially of objects too small to be seen by the unaided eye.
4. Anemia (also spelled anaemia) is a decrease in the total amount of red blood cells (RBCs) or hemoglobin in the blood, or a lowered ability of the blood to carry oxygen.
5. Baby mosquitos are known as Larvae
6. Mosquitoes breed in stagnant, standing freshwater oftentimes found around the home.
7. He received the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine in 1902 for his work on the transmission of malaria.
8. Cholera, Typhoid fever
2 mark questions. (Long answer questions)
1. Diseases transmitted by mosquitoes include malaria, dengue, West Nile virus, chikungunya, yellow fever, filariasis, tularemia etc.
2. Wear long, light-coloured clothing when you go outdoors, especially at times when mosquitoes are active, Use mosquito repellent, Install proper mosquito nets on the doors and windows of your house, as well as on your tent and camping shelter.
3. It is important to load up iron rich foods like green leafy vegetables, liver, tofu, spinach, eggs, whole grains, pulses and beans, meat, fish, dry fruits, et al. Folic acid is a B-complex vitamin that is required to make red blood cells in the body.
4. Malaria is more widespread during the rainy season. During rains, mosquitoes have favourable breeding grounds, due to stagnant waters and puddles, as a result, mosquitoes increase in number and the harmful diseases they spread become more common.
5. It is advised to put kerosene oil in the water tanks of coolers during rainy seasons because kerosene oil prevents the breeding of mosquitoes that spread various diseases like malaria. It acts as a larvicidal, killing the larva of mosquitoes.
6. Algae are unicellular or multicellular organisms.They are green in colour. They make their food by the process of photosynthesis because chlorophyll .They are mostly found on rivers and sometimes on seas to
7. Untreated anemia in children can have a serious effect on a child's growth. Anemia may affect mental development and function. This often leads to attention problems, delays in reading ability, poor school performance and in very rare cases - stroke
8. We can check the growth of mosquitoes around us by using the mosquito repellent like all out, good night and mosquito coil.
9. Order will be:
1. Flies sit on garbage and other waste products.
2. They pick disease causing agents (microbes) from there.
3. Then they sit on our food.
4. We consume such food.
5. Microbes enter our body and cause diseases.
10. 1) 12 years
2) 10.5 gm/dl
11. 1) Fever with Chills and Rigors
2) Malarial parasite