Very short answer questions
I. Choose the correct answer to fill in the blanks.
5. Step wells
6. Check dams
II. Write ‘True’ for the correct statement and ‘False’ for the wrong statement.
III. Look at the different sources of water. Write their names in the blanks.
IV. 1 mark questions. (Short answer questions)
1. Stepwells, piau, talabs were built as people in olden times thought it a good deed to provide water for thirsty travellers.
2.The various sources of water are, river, lake, well, hand pump, tube well etc.
3. Al-Biruni was traveller from Uzbekistan.
4. People came to Ghadsisar to celebrate festivals and for programme of music and dance.
5. By worshipping the tap in the new home.
2 mark questions. (Long answer questions)
1. Ghadsisar is a lake which was made by king Ghadsi of Jaisalmer, 650 years ago. The construction of his lake was suck that when the lake was full, the extra water flowed into another lake at lower level—filling nine suck interconnected lakes. The collected water was used throughout the year.
2. Stepwell is a different form of well. Here many steps go down several storeys deep to reach water, instead of drawing the water up from the well, the people could go down the steps and reach the water that is why they are called stepwells.
3. Rainwater harvesting is the accumulation and storage of rainwater for reuse onsite, rather than allowing it to run off. Rainwater can be collected from rivers or roofs, and in many places, the water collected is redirected to a deep pit, a reservoir with percolation, or collected from dew or fog with nets or other tools. Its uses include water for gardens, livestock, irrigation, domestic use with proper treatment, indoor heating for houses, etc. The harvested water can also be used as drinking.
4.The main cause of water shortage is mismanagement of water for industrial production, irrigation and leading to regional conflicts on water resources.
5. Because the water table gets lower than the inlet of the pump jet or submersion pump. The water table will become lower if over pumped or the number of wells in the area increases. More wells in an area will lower the water table as will bigger consumption from a well.
6. In earlier times there were many stepwell, piau and johads in Rajasthan so that time people didn’t face water shortage in earlier times.
7. During summer, when the reservoirs dried up, they have to move to other places by leaving their village. Darki Mai heard about Tarun Bharat Sangh and requested for help. Collectively, the people from the village and Sangh determined to make a pond. After the creation of pond, the problem of food and water for animals is now becoming less and people started getting more milk. Tarun Bharat Sangh (TBS) is a non-governmental association in Rajasthan. It is led by Rajendra Singh. The society and Rajendra Singh are best remembered for performing environmental research and land expansion to provide fresh and clean water to people.