Very short answer questions
I. Choose the correct answer to fill in the blanks.
6. Gregor Mendel
II. 1 Mark Questions. (Short answer questions)
1. We take habits and characters from our family.
2. Identical twins are siblings who are born at the same time, from the same mother, and who are genetically the same.
3. The child who is not the natural child of the parents but has become a true child by legal action
4. One of the legs is affected by polio. This is not hereditary.
5. Pulse Polio is an immunisation campaign by the government of India to eliminate poliomyelitis (polio) in India by vaccinating all children under the age of five years against the polio virus
6. Following are two characteristics that a person inherits:
(b) Colour of hairs
7. Yes, two sisters brought up in different environments will behave in a similar way.
8. Since Saroja and Suvasini are twin sisters, therefore, their facial features eyes, height etc. are common i.e. they resemble to each places, as a result the other qualities which they adopted later on different.
III. 2 Mark Questions. (Long answer questions)
1. Saroja know two languages Tamil and Marathi and as well, she is good at singing but Suvasini lacks these qualities. Suvasini know about Saroja does not. These two looks so alike but are so different.
2. Gregor Mendel, through his work on pea plants, discovered the fundamental laws of inheritance. He deduced that genes come in pairs and are inherited as distinct units, one from each parent. Mendel tracked the segregation of parental genes and their appearance in the offspring as dominant or recessive traits.
3.Polio is an infectious disease caused by poliovirus. In some cases, there is muscle weakness resulting in an inability to move. It can be prevented by vaccination.