1. Mamidi tandra, Murabba
3. Ketchup, Jam
5. Pickle, Murabba
II. Choose the correct answer to fill in the blanks. pulp, fibre, sugar, four, jaggery, dust, layer, cloth, jelly, Mamidi tandra, sun.
6. Spread (not given in above options)
11. Mamidi tandra
Match the following.
1. Milk - Putting it in a bowl and keeping the bowl in a container with some water.
2. Cooked rice - wrap it in a damp cloth
3. Vegetables - Keeping them in the refrigerator.
4. Green coriander - by boiling it.
5. Onion and garlic - Keeping them in a dry place
6. Chicken and meat - Keeping them in the refrigerator.
1 mark questions. (Short answer questions)
1.When a food spoils, it smells bad and its color also changes.
2. Rice flour, pulses, spices, ghee, pickles can easily be used upto a month or even more.
3. We preserve food for future consumption.
4. We preserve vegetables, fruits, chicken and meat in the refrigerator.
5. We keep Rice and other cooked grains, ripe bananas, Nuts, Butter etc. in the deep freezer.
6. In rainy and summer season food get spoiled easily.
Conditions in which food spoils quickly:
(i) It cooked food is left open.
(ii) If milk is not boiled properly.
(iii) If green vegetables are not kept in a cool place e.g. refrigerator.
(iv) If pickles, murabba etc. are not produced from moisture.
7. There are various factors which are responsible for food spoilage such as bacteria, mould, yeast, moisture, light, temperature, and chemical reaction.
2 mark questions. (Long answer questions)
I. Answer the following questions.
Mat woven from the leaves of palm trees, poles of casuarina tree, string made up of coconut husk, some jaggery and sugar.
Food preservation is the process of treating and handling food to stop or slow down Food spoilage , loss of quality, edibility or nutritional value and thus allow for longer food storage.
There are 4 ways to preserve fruits and vegetables canning, salting, drying and freezing.
Canning: Canning involves placing fruit and vegetables in airtight containers, typically glass jars, and so prevent bacteria getting to them
Salting: One of the oldest methods of preserving food, salting can be used for meat and fish, as well as sliced vegetables.
Drying: Drying dehydrates the fruit or vegetables, removing all the water along with the bacteria, yeasts and mold that live in the moisture.
Freezing: Freezing and thawing a vegetable or fruit is the preserving method that will have an end product that most closely resembles the taste of fresh food.
It is because the spoiled or expired food can make us ill and cause various diseases like food poisoning.
If they are left unheated, this will enhance the growth of the micro-organism and may cause the food to get decayed and unfit for consumption. In order to protect the pickle from getting spoilt, Glass, jars and bottles are dried in the sun before filling them with pickle.
II. Food gets spoiled due to many reasons. Encircle the correct reasons.