Very short answer questions
I. Choose the correct answer to fill in the blanks.
1. Brigadier Gyan Singh
4. Pegs, pitons
8. Firewood, stones
11. Bachendri Pal
12. Mt. Everest
II. Write ‘True’ for the correct statement and ‘False’ for the wrong statement.
III. Tick the correct answer.
a) What is most important responsibility of a leader?
ii) To own responsibility even when someone else has made a mistake.
b) Why do we need extra energy in the mountains?
i) During mountaineering we have to go up. Thus we spend energy faster.
c) Why was a drain dug around the tent?
ii) To keep away wild animals.
1 Mark Questions. (Short answer questions)
I. Answer in one sentence.
1. Nehru Institute of Mountaineering is situated on a hill top 4 km away from the main market of Uttarkashi.
2. Bachendri Pal is the first Indian woman to climb Mt. Everest.
3. Brigadier Gyan Singh was the guide of Bachendri Pal.
4. Bachendripal spent 43 minutes on the peak of Mt. Everest
5. Bachendripal came to meet the Brigadier.
6. Bachendri Pal, Indian mountaineer who in 1984 became the first Indian woman to reach the summit of Mount Everest.
7. Rappelling is an adventure activity that involves coming down a rock face/ artificial climbing wall with the help of ropes and equipment.
8. For rock climbing wear specially made gloves and shoes which can increase friction due to their rough surface. Due to an increase in friction, proper grip is obtained with the rocks so that we can easily climb the rocks without the danger of fall.
9. It's difficult to walk on ice because there's very little friction between the bottoms of your shoes and the ice. Friction is a force that opposes motion.
10. Bachendri Pal
II. Give reasons.
1. Because she speaks only Mizo language.
2. They were all given vitamin C tablets and hot chocolate milk with breakfast for strength and to keep them warm in the cold.
3. Because they had to go through icy water.
4. Because she completed her task successfully. She was happy because she finished a challenging task.
5. The sleeping bags were filled with soft feathers because it helps to keep their bodies warm.
2 Mark Questions. (Long answer questions)
1. There were 20 teachers from kendriya vidyalaya and the other women from banks
2. Group 7 included girls from Assam, Manipur, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Nagaland and a teacher from Kendriya Vidyalaya.
3. Rucksacks had all the things that they may need - food packets, water bottle, rope, hook, plastic sheet, diary, torch, towel, soap,windcheater, whistle, glucose, jaggery, channa and some other snacks.
4. Thick, double layered plastic sheets may be used as the base for a tent, for three main reasons – to prevent damp and wetness from seeping in, for insulation from the cold and to provide some cushioning effect for the occupants inside the tent.
5. Rope, helmet, tent, gloves
6. Glucose biscuits, Jaggery, Chana (Bengal gram)
7. Responsibilities of a group leader include:
• Taking care of each member of the group
• Maintaining discipline among all
• Guiding all members to the right path.