Major Lakes of the World
- Largest Lake ➜ Caspian Sea
- Largest saline water lake ➜ Caspian Sea
- Largest freshwater lake ➜ Lake Superior
- Highest Lake ➜ Lake Titicaca
- Deepest Lake ➜ Lake Baikal
- India’s largest lake ➜ Chilika lake
Try yourself:Which is the largest lake in the world?
The famous Dal Lake and the Wular Lake are only 16 and 30 square kilometres in area respectively, whereas, the Caspian Sea, considered as the largest lake on the Earth, has an area 4,36,000 square kilometres.
Important Lakes of the World
- Caspian Lake: Located in Russia and CIS and have an area of 371000 sq. km.
- Superior Lake: Located in Canada and USA and have an area of 82414 sq. km.
- Victoria Lake: Located in Tanzania (Africa) and has an area of 69485 sq. km.
- Huron Lake: Located in Canada and USA and has an area of 59596 sq. km.
- Michigan Lake: Located in USA and has an area of 58016 sq. km.
- Tanganyika Lake: Located in Africa and has an area of 32892 sq. km.
- Baikal Lake: Located in Russia (CIS) and has an area of 31502 sq. km.
- Great Bear Lake: Located in Canada and has an area of 31080 sq. km.
- Aral Lake: Located in Russia (CIS) and has an area of 30700 sq. km.
- Great Slave: Located in Canada and has an area of 28438 sq. km.Important lakes in the world
Try yourself:The Great Bear Lake is in which country?
Try yourself:The Caspian Sea is NOT neighboured by which of the countries?
Continents of the World
- Asia: 41667920 sq.km.
- Africa: 29800540 sq.km.
- North America: 24320000 sq.km.
- South America: 17599050 sq.km.
- Antarctica: 14245000 sq.km.
- Europe: 9699550 sq.km.
- Australia: 7687120 sq.km.
Try yourself:The largest continent in the world is
The largest continent in the world is Asia.
Oceans of the World
Oceans in the World
1. Pacific Ocean
- Area (sq. km.): 166,240,000
- Greatest Depth: Mariana Trench
2. Atlantic Ocean
- Area (sq. km.): 86,560,000
- Greatest Depth: Puerto Rico Trench
3. Indian Ocean
- Area (sq. km.): 73,430,000
- Greatest Depth: Java Trench
4. Southern Ocean
- Area (sq.km.): 20,330,000
- Greatest Depth: Factorian Deep
5. Arctic Ocean
- Area (sq. km.): 13,230,000
- Greatest Depth: Molloy Hole
Note: Mariana Trench is the deepest point on the planet.
Try yourself:The Mariana Trench is in the __________ Ocean.
The Mariana Trench or Marianas Trench is located in the western Pacific Ocean about 200 kilometres (124 mi) east of the Mariana Islands; it is the deepest trench in the world.The three most common organisms at the bottom of the Mariana Trench are xenophyophores, amphipods and small sea cucumbers (holothurians), Gallo said.
Major Mountain Peaks of the World
- Everest: Located in Nepal with a height of 8,848 m.
- K2 (Godwin Austin): Located in India with a height of 8,611 m.
- Kanchanjanga: Located in India with a height of 8,598 m.
- Makalu: Located in Nepal-China with a height of 8,481 m.
- Dhaulagiri: Located in Nepal with a height of 8,172 m.
- Cho Oyu: Located in Nepal with a height of 8,153 m.
- Nanga Parbat: Located in India with a height of 8,126 m.
- Hidden peak: Located in India with a height of 8,068 m.
- Annapurna: Located in Nepal with a height of 8,078 m.
- Nandadevi: Located in India with a height of 7,813 m.
Try yourself:K2 is a mighty mountain in which country/countries?
Try yourself:The mountain Annapurna is in which country/countries?
Major Deserts of the World
- Sahara: N. Africa (includes the Libyan and the Nubian Desert)
- Australian: Australia (includes Gibson, Simpson, Victorian, Great Sandy)
- Arabian: Arab Countries (includes Rub’al Khali & An-Nafad of S.Arabia and Dast-e-Lut & Dast-e-Kavir of Iran)
- Kalahari: Africa (mainly in Botswana)
- Gobi: Mongolia
- Atacama: Central Chile
- Patagonian: Argentina
- Namib: Namibia
- Takla Makan: Sinkiang, China
- Karakum: Turkmenistan
- Sonoran: Arizona and California (USA)
- Thar: India
Try yourself:Gobi desert is located in__________?
The Gobi Desert lies in the territory of the People’s Republic of China and Mongolia. The Gobi Desert (/ˈɡoʊbi/) is a large desert or brushland region in East Asia. It covers parts of Northern and Northeastern China and of Southern Mongolia.
Deserts in the WorldMajor Gulfs of the World
- Gulf of Mexico: 15,44,000 sq. km.
- Gulf of Hudson: 12,33,000 sq. km.
- Arabian gulf: 2,38,000 sq. km.
- Gulf of St. Lawrence: 2,37,000 sq. km.
- Gulf of California: 1,62,000 sq. km.
Try yourself:Which is the largest Gulf in the world?
Major Peninsulas of the World
- Arabia: 32,50,000 sq. km.
- Southern India: 20,72,000 sq. km.
- Alaska: 15,00,000 sq. km.
- Labrador: 13,00,000 sq. km.
- Scandinavia: 8,00,000 sq. km.
- Iberian: 5,84,000 sq. km.
Try yourself:Which of the following is the world’s largest peninsula?
Major Mountain Ranges of the World
- Andes: Located in South America with a length of 7,200 km.
- Himalayas-Karakoram-Hindukush: Located in South Central Asia with a length of 5,000 km.
- Rockies: Located in North America with a length of 4,800 km.
- Great Dividing Range: Located in East Australia with a length of 3,600 km.
- Atlas: Located in North West Africa with a length of 1,930 km.
- Western Ghats: Located in Western India with a length of 1,160 km.
- Caucasus: Located in Europe with a length of 1,200 km.
- Alaska: Located in USA with a length of 1,130 km.
- Alps: Located in Europe with a length of 1,050 km.
Try yourself:Asia Continent is what percent of earth area?
Africa Continent is 20.4 % of earth's area,
North America Continent is 16.3 % of earth's area,
South America Continent is 11.8 % of earth's area,
Europe Continent is 7.1 % of earth's area,
Australia Continent is 5.3 % of earth's area,
Antarctica Continent is 9.6 % of earth's area
Important Cities on the River Banks (World)
- Adelaide (in Australia) ➜ Torrens
- Amsterdam (in Netherlands) ➜ Amsel
- Alexandria (in Egyp) ➜ Nile
- Ankara (in Turkey) ➜ Kazil
- Bangkok (in Thailand) ➜ Chao Praya
- Basra (in Iraq) ➜ Euphrates and Tigris
- Baghdad (in Iraq) ➜ Tigris
- Berlin (in Germany) ➜ Spree
- Bonn (in Germany) ➜ Rhine
- Budapest (in Hungary) ➜ Danube
- Bristol (in UK) ➜ Avon
- Buenos Aires (in Argentina) ➜ Laplata
- Chittagong (in Bangladesh) ➜ Majyani
- Canton (in China) ➜ Si-Kiang
- Cairo (in Egypt) ➜ Nile
- Chung King (in China) ➜ Yang-tse-king
- Cologne (in Germany) ➜ Rhine
- Dandzing (in Germany) ➜ Vistula
- Dresden (in Germany) ➜ Elbe
- Dublin (in Ireland) ➜ Liffey
- Hamburg (in Germany) ➜ Elbe
- Kabul (in Afghanistan) ➜ Kabul
- Karachi (in Pakistan) ➜ Indus
- Khartoum (in Sudan) ➜ Confluence of blue & white Nile
- Lahore (in Pakistan) ➜ Ravi
- Leningrad (in Russia) ➜ Neva
- Lisbon (in Portugal) ➜ Tagus
- Liverpool (in England) ➜ Messey
- London (in England) ➜ Thames
- Moscow (in Russia) ➜ Moskva
- Montreal (in Canada) ➜ St. Lawrence
- Nanking (in China) ➜ Yang- tse-kiang
- New Orleans (in U.S.A) ➜ Mississippi
- New York (in U.S.A) ➜ Hudson
- Ottawa (in Canada) ➜ Ottawa
- Paris (in France) ➜ Seine
- Philadelphia (in U.S.A) ➜ Delaware
- Perth (in Australia) ➜ Swan
- Prague (in Czech Republic) ➜ Vitava
- Quebec (in Canada) ➜ St. Lawrence
- Rome (in Italy) ➜ Tiber
- Rotterdam (in The Netherlands) ➜ New Mass
- Stalingrad (in Russia) ➜ Volga
- Shanghai (in China) ➜ Yang-tse-kiang
- Sidney (in Australia) ➜ Darling
- Saint Luis (in U.S.A) ➜ Mississippi
- Tokyo (in Japan) ➜ Arakawa
- Vienna (in Austria) ➜ Danube
- Warsaw (in Poland) ➜ Vistula
- Washington D. C. (inU.S.A) ➜ Potomac
- Yangoon (in Myanmar) ➜ Irrawaddy
Try yourself:New York city is situated on the bank of which of the following rivers?
- In decreasing order of size:
Greenland, New Guinea, Borneo, Madagascar, Baffin, etc.
- Largest river island in Majuli (Assam).
- The most populated island is in Java (Indonesia)
- The largest island of India is Middle Andaman.
Try yourself:The largest island of the world is:
Smallest and Biggest Countries
Biggest Nations (area-wise)
Biggest Nations (population-wise)
Smallest Nations (area-wise)
- Vatican City
- San Marino
- Marshall Islands
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
Smallest Nations (population-wise)
- Vatican City
- San Marino
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Antigua and Barbados
Try yourself:Which is the smallest country in the world?
Foreign Towns Associated With Industries
Town(Country) ➜ Associated Industry
- Baku (Azerbaijan) ➜ Petroleum
- Bangkok (Thailand) ➜ Shipbuilding
- Belfast (Ireland) ➜ Shipbuilding
- Buenos Aires (Argentina) ➜ Meat
- Cadiz (Portugal) ➜ Cork
- Chicago (U.S.A) ➜ Agriculture implements, Meat
- Cologne (Germany) ➜ Cotton and woollen industries
- Dhaka (Bangladesh) ➜ Jute
- Detroit (U.S.A) ➜ Motor cars
- Dresden (Germany) ➜ Optical and photographic apparatus
- Glasgow (Great Britain) ➜ Machinery
- Havana (Cuba) ➜ Tobacco, Cigars
- Hollywood (U.S.A) ➜ Film Industry
- Johannesburg (S. Africa) ➜ Gold Mines
- Kimberley (S. Africa) ➜ Diamond mining
- Leeds (England) ➜ Woollen goods
- Lyons (France) ➜ Silk industries
- Manchester (England) ➜ Cotton industry
- Mauritius (Indian Oceans) ➜ Fishing, Shipping, Sugar
- Milan (Italy) ➜ Silk
- Morocco (North Africa) ➜ Leather
- Munich (Germany) ➜ Lenses
- New Orleans (U.S.A) ➜ Cotton industry
- Osaka (Japan) ➜ Cotton fabrics
- Pittsburgh (U.S.A) ➜ Iron and Steel
- Plymouth (England) ➜ Ship-building
- Sheffield (England) ➜ Cutlery
- Venice (Italy) ➜ Glass manufacturing
- Vienna (Austria) ➜ Glass manufacturing
- Wellington (New Zealand) ➜ Dairy product
Try yourself:Detroit a city of USA is famous for ______?
World’s Geographical Surnames
Surname ➜ Name
- Bengal’s sorrow ➜ Damodar River
- Blue Mountains ➜ Nilgiri Hills
- City of sky-scrapers ➜ New York
- City of Seven Hills ➜ Rome
- City of Dreaming Spires ➜ Oxford
- City of Palaces ➜ Kolkata
- City of Golden Gate ➜ San Francisco
- City of Magnificent buildings ➜ Washington D.C.
- City of Eternal Springs ➜ Quito (S. America)
- China’s Sorrow ➜ Huang Ho
- The cockpit of Europe ➜ Belgium
- Dark Continent ➜ Africa
- Emerald Isle ➜ Ireland
- Eternal city ➜ Rome
- Empire city ➜ New York
- Forbidden city ➜ Lhasa (Tibet)
- Garden city ➜ Chicago
- Gate of Tears ➜ Strait of Bab-el-Mandeb
- Gateway of India ➜ Mumbai
- Gift of the Nile ➜ Egypt
- Granite City ➜ Aberdeen (Scotland)
- Hermit kingdom ➜ Korea
- Herring pond ➜ Atlantic Ocean
- Holy Land ➜ Jerusalem
- Island Continent ➜ Australia
- Island of Cloves ➜ Zanzibar
- Isle of pearls ➜ Bahrain (Persian Gulf)
- Key to Mediterranean ➜ Gibraltar
- Land of Cakes ➜ Scotland
- Land of Golden Fleece ➜ Australia
- Land of Maple Leaf ➜ Canada
- Land of Morning Calm ➜ Korea
- Land of Midnight Sun ➜ Norway
- Land of the Thousand lakes ➜ Finland
- Land of Thunderbolt ➜ Bhutan
- Land of White Elephant ➜ Thailand
- Land of five Rivers ➜ Punjab
- Land of thousand Elephants ➜ Laos
- Land of Rising Sun ➜ Japan
- Loneliest Island ➜ Tristan de Gunah (mid-Atlantic)
- Manchester of Japan ➜ Osaka
- Pillars of Hercules ➜ Strait of Gibraltar
- Pearl of the Antilles ➜ Cuba
- Playground of Europe ➜ Switzerland
- Quaker City ➜ Philadelphia
- Queen of the Adriatic ➜ Venice
- The roof of the World ➜ The Pamirs, central Asia (Tibet)
- Rose pink city ➜ Jaipur
- Sugar bowl of the World ➜ Cuba
- Venice of the North ➜ Stockholm
- Windy City ➜ Chicago
- Whiteman’s grave ➜ Guinea coast of Africa
- Yellow River ➜ Huang Ho (China)
Try yourself:City of Sky Scrappers is nickname of .................
New York Skyscrapers. New York is the world's ultimate skyscraper city. Already at the end of the 19th century, the limited space on Manhattan caused developers to build ever taller towers.