Function of brain and how many regions brain are divided it's names and it's functions?
The brain stem sits beneath the cerebrum and in front of the cerebellum. It connects the rest of the brain to the spinal cord, which runs down your neck and back. The brain stem is in charge of all the functions your body needs to stay alive, like breathing air, digesting food, and circulating blood.
This is the cut section of a Human Brain. The parts and their functions are given below :
1. Cerebrum: It is the largest part of the brain and has two hemispheres. Cerebrum is a highly developed part of the Central Nervous System and controls various functions like Speech, Vision, the thought process, movement of limbs, creativity and emotions. Cerebrum itself has many different lobes for different functions.
2. Corpus Callosum: It serves as a bridge to coordinate the activities between the two Cerebral hemispheres.
3. Ventricles: These are open spaces in the brain for the production and circulation of the Cerebrospinal fluid(CSF) which maintains the Intracranial Pressure and Nutrition of the Brain and Spinal Cord. Actually, CSF is produced in the choroid plexus formed by small capillaries lining the ventricles. Ventricles are Four in number. The ventricle in the picture is one of the Lateral Ventricles.
4.Cerebellum: It is present below and behind the Cerebral hemispheres. Cerebellum controls the balance(equilibrium) of the body and prevents falls while running or walking. It also controls repetitive movements and muscle tone.
5. Thalamus: Thalamus serves the process of consciousness and sleeping.
6. Hypothalamus: It serves as a master endocrine gland the body releasing various chemicals to regulate the function of Pituitary gland. Also regulates body temperature.
7. Pons: It serves as a for the nerve fibres coming from the cerebrum and going down to the spinal cord. It also gives rise to a number of cranial nerves.
8.Medulla: It is responsible for the maintainence of breathing and heart rate. Certain cranial nerves also arise from medulla. Medulla joins the brain to spinal cord.
Cerebrum itself is divided into various lobes :
1. Frontal Lobe: Associated with motor functions and emotions, thought process.
2. Temporal Lobe: Associated with hearing and speech.
3. Occipital Lobe: Associated with Vision.
4. Parietal Lobe: Associated with sensations like Touch, Temperature, Pain and Language Processing.