Anemophily type of pollination is found in
1. In Vallisneria pollination occurs outside water called epihydrophily.
2. Salvia is insect pollinated and is an example of entomophily.
3. Anemophily is the pollination by wind. Anemophilous plants are characterized by small flowers, pollens present in large number which are small, dry and light in weight, number of ovules generally reduced in ovary, feathery or brushy stigma to recieve the pollen. All these features are shown by coconut flower.
4. Callistemon (Bottle brush) is pollinated by birds and is an example of ornithophily.
In some plants, the anthers and stigma grow and mature at the same time. This phenomenon is called
When pollen is transferred from the anther of one flower to the stigma of another flower of the same plant, pollination is referred to
In self-pollinating plants, there is less dependence on the external factors to cause pollination. These plants depend on wind or other smaller insects that visit the flower regularly. In self- pollinating flowers, the anthers, and stigma are of similar lengths to facilitate the transfer of pollen.
Self -pollination can be further divided into two types:
1. Autogamy– In this type of self-pollination, the pollen is transferred from the anthers of one flower to the stigma of the same flower.
2. Geitonogamy– In this type of self- pollination, the anthers are transferred from the anthers of one flower to the stigma of another flower but on the same plant.
In which of the following is pollination autogamous?
Intine of pollen grain composed of
Pick the odd one out
► Porogamy- entry of pollen tube from micropylar end.
► Mesogamy - entry of pollen tube from middle(integuments).
► Chalazogamy - entry of pollen tube from chalazal end allogamy is a type of pollination in which the fertilization of a flower by pollen happens from another flower, especially one on a different plant.
► Allogamy- The fertilization of a flower by pollen from another flower, especially one on a different plant.
The type of pollination that brings genetically different types of pollen grains to the stigma of a plant is
1. Geitonogamy is a type of self pollination in which pollen is transferred from the anther of one flower to the stigma of another flower of the same plant.
2. Xenogamy is the cross-pollination between the flowers of different plants. It produces hererozygosity because two genetically different parents are involved.
Cross-pollination is the transfer of pollen grains from anther to stigma of different flower
3. Chasmogamy is the condition in which bisexual flowers have exposed anthers and stigma. Both self-pollination and cross pollination can occur in these flowers.
4. Autogamy is a type of self-pollination in which pollen is transferred from the anther to the stigma of the same flower.
Thus, it's xenogamy that can bring genetically different pollen grains to the stigma of a plant.
So, the correct answer is B.
Which one of the following character causes cross-pollination?
Wind pollination is common in