|1 Crore+ students have signed up on EduRev. Have you?|
With reference to the cultural history of India, consider the following pairs:
1. Parivrajaka – Renunciant and wanderer
2. Shramana – Priest with a high status
3. Upasaka – Lay follower of Buddhism
Select the correct answer using the code given below: (2020)
In which of the following relief sculpture inscriptions is ‘Ranyo Ashoka’ (King Ashoka) mentioned along with the stone portrait of Ashoka? (2019)
During the excavations (2000 to 2002) at Kanganahalli, the most important finding of the excavation include a stone sculptured slab bearing the name Raya Ashoka. This was the first inscribed portrait of Ashoka (surrounded by female attendants and queens) that was unearthed from the ruined Buddhist stupa.
With reference to the cultural history of India, consider the following statements:
1. White marble was used in Mughal Buland Darwaza and Khankah at Fatehpur Sikri.
2. Red sandstone and marble were used in making Bara lmambara and Rumi Darwaza at Lucknow.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct? (2018)
S2: The architectural style of the Rumi Darwaza is completely in sync with the Nawabi architecture of Lucknow, and its significantly different from the Mughals. The material used for the drawaza is bricks and its then coated with lime, while the Mughals often used red sand stone. This is why the detailing on the Darwaza is more intricate, which would be impossible to achieve in stone.
Consider the following pairs:
Select the correct answer using the codes below. (2018)
Consider the following pairs : (2018)
The well-known painting “BaniThani” belongs to the (2018)
With reference to cultural history of India, consider the following statements :
1. Most of the Tyagaraja Kritis are devotional songs in praise of Lord Krishna.
2. Tyagaraja created several new ragas.
3. Annamacharya and Tyagaraja are contemporaries.
4. Annamacharyaldrtanas are devotional songs in praise of Lord Venkateshwara. Which of the statements given above are correct? (2018)
Statement 2: Tyagaraja took music training from SontiVenkataramayya. But that didn’t stop him from taking musical inspirations from various earlier poets. He was an ardent devotee of lord Rama. In his praise and honour he wrote numerous musical operas, and about twenty four thousand songs, a claim that has been speculated among music historians. Hence, S2 is correct.
Statement 3: Tyagaraja was born on 14th May 1767 in the village of Thiruvayaru in the Thanjavur district of Tamil Nadu whereas TaḷḷapākaAnnamācārya (or Annamayya) (22 May 1408 – 4 April 1503) was a 15th-century Hindu saint. Hence, statement 3 is incorrect.
Statement 4: TaḷḷapākaAnnamācārya (or Annamayya) (22 May 1408 – 4 April 1503) was a 15th-century Hindu saint and is the earliest known Indian musician to compose songs called sankirtanas in praise of the god Venkateswara, a form of Vishnu. Hence, S4 is correct.
With reference to Manipuri Sankirtana, consider the following statements:
1. It is a song and dance performance.
2. Cymbals are the only musical instruments used in the performance.
3. It is performed to narrate the life and deeds of Lord Krishna.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct? (2017)
Why: Sankirtana is one of the few important Indian heritages inscribed on the UNESCO Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
The painting of Bodhisattva Padmapani is one of the most famous and oft-illustrated paintings at (2017)
Consider the following pairs:
Which of the pairs given above is/are correctly matched ? (2017)
Statement 3: Wari Warkari or Varkari (Pandharpur Wari) is a Maharashtrian festival celebrated by Marathas.