A person who is related to another by birth rather than by marriage.
To remember easily the relations may be divided into two sides as given below:
(i) Relations of Paternal side:
Father’s father → Grandfather
Father’s mother → Grandmother
Father’s brother → Uncle
Father’s sister → Aunt
Children of uncle → Cousin
Wife of uncle → Aunt
Children of aunt → Cousin
Husband of aunt → Uncle
(ii) Relations of Maternal side:
Mother’s father → Maternal grandfather
Mother’s mother → Maternal grandmother
Mother’s brother → Maternal uncle
Mother’s sister → Aunt
Children of maternal uncle → Cousin
Wife of maternal uncle → Maternal aunty
|1||Grandfather’s son||Father or Uncle|
|2||Grandmother’s son||Father or Uncle|
|3||Grandfather’s only son||Father|
|4||Grandmother’s only son||Father|
|5||Mother’s or father’s mother||Grandmother|
|8||Husband’s or wife’s sister||Sister-in-Law|
|11||Uncle or aunt’s son or daughter||Cousin|
|14||Granson’s or grand daughter’s daughter||Great grand Daughter|
The efficiency in doing the problems of blood relations depends upon the knowledge of the blood relations. Some of the important relations are given below:
a) My mother’s or father’s son is my Brother.
b) My mother’s or father’s daughter is my Sister.
c) My mother’s or father’s father is my Grandfather.
d) My mother’s or father’s sister is my Aunt.
e) My mother’s or father’s brother is my Uncle.
f) My son’s wife is my Daughter-in-law.
g) My daughter’s husband is my Son-in-law.
h) My brother’s son is my Nephew.
i) My brother’s daughter is my Neice.
j) My sister’s husband is my Brother-in-law.
k) My brother’s wife is my Sister-in-law.
l) My husband’s wifer’s sister is my Sister-in-law.
m) My husband’s or wife’s brother is my Brother-in-law.
n) My uncle’s or aunt’s son or daughter is my Cousin.
o) My wife’s father or husband’s father is my Father-in-law.
p) My wife’s mother or husband’s mother is my Mother-in-law.
q) My father’s wife is my Mother.
r) My mother’s husband is my Father.
s) My son’s or daughter’s son is my Grandson.
t) My son’s or daughter’s daughter is my Grand-daughter.
Different types of questions with explanation:
(1) A is B’s daughter, B is C’s mother. D is C’s brother. How is D related to A?
Explanation: A is daughter B.
B is mother of C
Therefore, D is Son of B.
(2) P is Q’s brother. R is Q’s mother. S is R’s father. T is S’s mother. How is P related to T
(b) Great grandson
Explanation: P is brother of Q . Therefore, P is a male.
R is mother of P and Q and R is daughter of S. S is Son of T.
S is grandfather of P.
(3) A is B’s brother. C is D’s father. E is B’s mother. A and D are brothers. How is E related to C?
Explanation: A is brother of B . Therefore, A is male.
C is father of D. Therefore, C is male.
E is mother of B. Therefore, E is Female.
A and D are brothers.
Therefore, D is male.
(i) A and D are brothers of D
(ii) C is the father of A, B and D
(iii) C is the mother of A, B and D
(iv) E is wife of C
(4) A is the sister of B. B is the brother of C. C is the son of D. How is D related to A?
Explanation: (1) B is brother of C
C is son of D.
A is the sister of B and C.
According to the options given, we are left with no choice. But selection option (a) is correct.
5. B is the brother of A. whose only sister is mother of C. D is maternal grandmother of C. How is A related to D?
Explanation: Although sex of A is not mentioned clearly in the question. On the basis of information given is A is daughter of B.
6. A and B are sisters. R and S are brothers. A’s daughter is R’s sister. What is B’s relation to S?
Explanation: A’s daughter R and S.
B is sister of A. B is aunt of S.
7. E is the sister of B. A is the father of C. B is the son of C. How is A related to E?
Explanation: is the Son of C and Grandson C and Grandson A.
E is sister of B.
Therefore, A is Grandfather of E.
8. Given that:
A is the mother of B.
C is the son of A.
D is the brother of E.
E is the daughter of B.
Who is grandmother of D?
Explanation: E is the daughter of B and D is brother of E. Therefore B is son A and A is mother of B.
Thus A, is Grandmother of D.
9. A is D’ brother. D is B’s father. B and C are sisters. How is A related to C?
Explanation: B and C daughters of D .
A is brother of D .
Therefore A is uncle of C.
10. A is B’s sister. C is B’s mother. D is C’s father. E is D’s mother, then how A is related to D?
Explanation: D is Father of C and B is mother of C.
Thus, A is grandfather of D
11. (i) F is the brother of A.
(ii) G is the daughter of A.
(iii) K is the sister of F.
(iv) G is the brother of C.
Who is the uncle of G?
Explanation: G is A and F is brother of A.
12. A is father of C and D is son of B. E is brother of A. If C is sister of D how is B related to E?
Explanation: C and D Children of A and B.
B is mother of C and D.
Therefore, B is Sister-in-law of E.
13. C is wife of B. E is the son of C A is the brother of B and father of D. What is the relationship of E to D?
Explanation: E is B and C.
A is uncle of E and Father of D.
Therefore E is cousin of D.
14. M is the son of P. Q is the grand-daughter of O, who is the husband of P. How is M related to O?
Explanation: O is the Husband of P. M is the son of P.
Therefore, M is son of O.
15. X and Y are brothers. R is the father of Y. S is the brother of T and maternal uncle of X. What is T to R?
Explanation: R is the Father of X and Y.
S is the maternal uncle of X and Y.
Considering the option (b), T is wife of R.