Cybercrime can be mentioned as illicit use of the internet and computers. The computers are either the target of the crimes or used as a weapon for the crime. These crimes have become a common part of our daily lives. Each and every day one or the other person is becoming the victim of cybercrime. Internet is accessed by a number of people at the same time for various purposes, these hackers make their way out of these opportunities.
Different Types of Cyber Crimes
- Phishing: This involves obtaining the personal information of the user by sending spam emails or by means of phishing website which resembles the same as authorized website.
- Identity Theft: This involves getting the information about credit or debit cards or bank details, further unwanted money can be easily deducted after the information is hacked.
- Malware Attacks: Malware is the hostile software which is designed to damage the computer or systems. This is done to access meaningful information or for doing some crime by using that system.
- ATM Frauds: The ATM machine is totally hacked in this crime. The criminals have developed the way to access both the data on the card along with the pin, further they are successful in making the duplicate of the cards and use the same to withdraw money.
- Cyber Stalking: The criminal is involved in following the person through online measures. They can even send malware to damage the systems to get the exact information. It involves harassment of the user.
- Pornography: The act of presenting sexual activity containing video, through pornographic websites.
- Spoofing: In this, an email is received and appears to be from some authentic source, but it is not the same. It is corrupted.
- Piracy: It is unauthorized access to the information which is confidential. Many of the times the government websites are hacked and files are pirated containing important data.
The First National Conference on National Crime Investigation and Crime Forensics
- Our nation India, for the first time had a national conference on national crime investigation held in New Delhi at headquarters of CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) on 4 and 5 September 2019.
- The main motive of the conference was to create a common platform for the investigators, forensic teams and other officials involved to discuss various methods and ways to tackle the cyber-related crimes. The conference was of 2 days i.e. 4th and 5th September.
Cyber Crime Awareness
Different security measures should be followed to be safe from the dreadful act of cyber crime.
- Strong passwords should be used. The password must be a complex one, could not be possible to guess.
- Use antivirus programmes to keep the system free of malware.
- Continuously update the system.
- Be vigilant and use the presence of mind to avoid identity thefts.
- Make your children aware of the internet, so that they can state any misuse or harassment if they are going through.
- Maintain privacy settings over social media.
Cyber security is saving our system, network, devices, and programmes from the attack of malicious software. Thus the illegal accessing of data can be stopped.
Importance: The information regarding any important issue of the nation or any data which is meant to be used personally, if gets shared will create several problems. Therefore if there will be a security check imposed at several levels, the information and important data can be saved from leaking.
Types of Cyber Security
- Network Security - Protects the network from being attacked by malware and thus using a secure network.
- Cloud security - Meant for safeguarding the data in the cloud resources.
- Information security - Helps in protecting the data from unauthorized or illegal access.
- End-user security - The user should be conscious of while inserting any external devices in the system, opening any mail or links.
- Application security - helps in keeping the system and software free of any threat.
Cyber crime is spreading its arms day by day. The most appropriate way of being safe from becoming the victim of its ill effects is following security measures. There are various ways by which we can protect our confidential information from being leaked. We should always focus on awareness as - ‘Prevention is better than cure
’, especially when the cure is not available.