The lockdown for different periods of time was imposed by many nations to curb the spread of Covid-19. India was under a strict Lockdown for a period of 70 days and that is more than 2 months and it was followed by Unlock in a phased manner. The period of lockdown had passed for everyone with some bitter and sweet experiences.
What is Lockdown?
Lockdown is the Protocol imposed by the government in the nation. It states that a person will have to stay where he/she is at the time of lockdown. It is advised to stay indoors safely. It prohibits the person to leave that area and move somewhere else.
During the pandemic, restrictions were imposed by the government on different services as well as the movement of people. The people were allowed only for the essential services and all other non-essential services were closed for the period of lockdown in the nation.
Life Lessons during Lockdown
During the lockdown, everything changed in moments. We had to pass from situations that never happened before. Initially, everything was upsetting i.e. no outing only indoors. Moreover, the news of the virus spreading to a greater extent left us with total depression. Slowly and gradually everything started appearing good and enjoying. Some of the important lessons we got from the entire lockdown are expressed below.
- Importance of Time: After the lockdown was over and things started changing to normal I realized that much time has passed out. Many of us have planned for many new things but due to this situation, they could not complete the same and have been delayed. The people suffering from different critical diseases could not get proper cure and treatment during that period and have died. It simply shows that time was important but everything was disturbed. They could have been saved if they were provided with proper treatment at that time. Secondly for the Covid Patients too time was an important issue. Many of us have not reported the symptoms on time and that made the infection become more severe.
- Courage: The news channels were continuously telecasting the updated news of the Covid cases reported daily. Every day the death or Covid positive news of the friends, neighbors, or known people shook us from inside. The days were passing somehow with fear and depression of the future. We have developed courage and followed preventive measures and therefore are courageously fighting against the dreadful virus. The adverse situation gives us the courage to fight and win.
- Healthy Living: I started utilizing my one hour of morning and evening in doing exercise. In this way, I made my body fit and also understood the importance of exercise and fitness. During the pandemic, we were advised to take an immunity-rich diet and supplements. This improved our immune system. Moreover, the market food at that time was not available therefore we ate healthy homemade food.
- Financial Management: The lockdown was the immediate decision of the government. We were left with limited financial amounts. Many of us have not received salaries during this period and many became jobless. We have learned to manage our expenditure and learned wise usage of money in critical situations.
- Protect our Nature: During the lockdown the activity of people had reduced to a larger extent. The number of vehicles on roads reduced to 25%. Thus the emissions also reduced which was very helpful in reducing the air pollution level. Nature healed itself during that time as the activities of human beings were suppressed. It gives us a lesson that we should not exploit natural resources and understand our nature for granted. It is the habitat of the other living organisms. If the same has been done before then the situation would not become like this.
- Understanding the Importance of Family: Most of us have spent the duration of the lockdown in our houses with our family. We got enough quality time to spend with our family members. I could the hard work is done by my mother the whole day. The time made us understand that family comes first than other things in life.
- The New Way of Learning and Education: The schools, colleges, and all the educational institutions were shut down in India after the lockdown was imposed. It was very difficult to open schools and continue the normal routine studies. Therefore the online teaching and learning program evolved and was much beneficial than sitting idle and waiting for the reopening of classes. This never happened before at this level but due to the pandemic crisis, a new method of education has started. It shows that if one door is closed several other doors are open and we should never give up.
- Better Planning and Management: The lockdown taught us to plan and manage our things during that time. We were not having the availability of all the things during lockdown but have learned to manage our resources in such a way that they last longer.
- Best Utilization of Time: Never before the Lockdown, we have been granted spare time for about 2 months. I love gardening and therefore in taking good care of my garden planed few new plants. I also read some novels as reading helps me in improving my vocabulary. I helped my mother with her household works and that gave her a bit of relaxation.
Was the Lockdown Period Useful?
The initial days of the lockdown appeared as worst and boring. After a few days, I started waking up early in the morning and exercising. Every day I tried out some new things to do. Slowly I was in love with the lockdown holidays. I could do more works and help my parents too. Secondly, this time taught us to live in adversities. The condition was very pathetic during that time and it was felt that it is very difficult to survive in such a situation. Hope, courage, and willpower made us conquer the situation. It gave us the lesson that every time cannot be the same and therefore we should always be ready for any uncertainty.
The pandemic crisis due to Covid-19 has changed the whole world. The lockdown period has given us many important lessons in life. Darwin’s theory states- “Survival of Fittest”. We must learn to cope up with different situations in our life and then only survival is possible. The pandemic and lockdown helped us to develop our capability to learn from adversities.