(Words that are pronounced like another words but have different spellings or meanings)
1. Affect (to produce a change) — over eating affects our health.
Effect (consequence) — Regular exercise has beneficial effect on our body.
2. Access (the right to enter, approach) — Lalit has an access to a few influential leaders.
Excess (more than enough) — Excess salt intake is harmful.
3. Adopt (take as one’s own) — A middle-aged couple adopted a new-born child.
Adapt (become suitable for new conditions) — I can easily adapt myself to new surrounding.
Adept (very skilful) — My friend is adept in painting.
4. Assent (express agreement) — I can’t start this project without my father’s assent.
Ascent (ascending) — We began our gradual ascent up the hill.
5. Advise (suggest) — Giving advise to someone is very easy.
Advice (suggestion) — I got success following my father’s advice.
6. Birth — The date of birth of grandfather is unknown.
Berth — I reserved a berth in the Rajdhani Express.
7. Break — The naughty boy broke my window-pane.
Brake — The brake of the scooter is not working.
8. Check (stop) — The police checked the mob from being violent.
Cheque — The cheque of one lakh has not been reached yet.
9. Caste — We should not believe in caste system.
Cast (register one’s vote, throw) — We mustn’t cast our votes under anyone’s influence.
10. Childlike (simple and innocent like a child) — His childlike activities gladdened me.
Childish (behaving in a silly way) — His childish behaviour is not liked by anyone.
11. Careless — Raman is so careless that his parents are always worried about him.
Carefree (light hearted, free from worry) — One should be carefree to enjoy life in its full.
12. Council (a group of elected people) — My brother is on the local council.
Counsel (advice) — He gave me good counsel.
13. Decent (very good) — Her decent behaviour pleased everyone.
Descent (downward) — The plane began its descent to the airport.
14. Diseased (affected with illness) — The diseased man died in the morning.
Deceased (dead) — The government announced compensation for the family of the deceased.
15. Fair — Village fairs present a colourful sight.
Fare (travelling charge) — There is a steep rise in train fare.
16. Human — Human life is full of ups and downs.
Humane (kind) — His humane behaviour is really praiseworthy.
17. Piece — Babulal quarrelled with his neighbour for a piece of land.
Peace — Peace brings happiness.
18. Proceed (to continue doing something) — We should proceed with the same project.
Precede (to happen before something) — Mr. Verma preceded his friend in the job.
19. Right — We must be aware of our rights and duties.
Rite (ritual) — His funeral rites were performed with heavy hearts.
20. Route (way) — There is always rush in this route.
Root — Continuous rain weakens the roots of small plants.
21. Story — The stories of Rajput chivalry are famous.
Storey — We have a two-storeyed building.
22. Stare (look at) — Why are you staring at me?
Stair (fixed indoor steps) — The stairs of my building are very comfortable.
23. Stationary (not movable) — The jeep collided with a stationary vehicle.
Stationery (writing material) — There is a stationery shop in my locality.
24. Shoulder (a body part) — My brother carried the airbag on his shoulders.
Soldier (army man) — The Indian soldiers are brave.
25. Some — Give me some salt.
Sum — This sum is not at all difficult.
26. Zealous (eager to do something) — Raja Rammohan Roy was a zealous social reformer.
Jealous (resentful towards a rival) — We should not be jealous of anyone.