|1 Crore+ students have signed up on EduRev. Have you?|
A. Complete the following sentences from memory choosing a phrase from those given in brackets.
1. ————————————— was held at the time of the Eid festival. (A big show, A big fair, A big competition)
► A big fair
2. Tradesmen came to the village with all kinds of goods —————— . (to display, to buy, to sell)
► to sell
3. Uncle told me —————— while he was away. (not to buy anything, not to go anywhere, not to talk to anyone)
► not to buy anything
4. The owner of the Lucky Shop wanted everybody present ——————— . (to play the game, to win a prize, to try their luck)
► to try their luck
5. The first time I took a chance I got —————————————–— . (a bottle of ink, two pencils, a trifle)
► two pencils
6. Uncle told me that the shopkeeper had made ————————. (a fool of me, a good profit, friends with many people)
► a fool of me
B. Answer the following questions.
1. Why do you think Rasheed’s uncle asked him not to buy anything in his absence? (3)
Answer Rasheed’s uncle asked him not to buy anything in his absence because he knew that the shopkeepers would cheat him.
2. Why was the shop called ‘Lucky Shop’? (4)
The shop was called Lucky Shop because everybody can try their luck.
3. An old man won a clock and sold it back to the shopkeeper. How much money did he make? (5)
The old man made 15 rupees by selling the clock back to the shopkeeper.
4. How many prizes did the boy win? What were they? (6)
The boy won four prizes. They were a comb, a fountain pen, a wristwatch and a table lamp.
5. Why was Rasheed upset? (7, 8, 9)
Rasheed was upset because he had hopes of winning a big prize and he continued trying his luck again and again. But every time he got a trifle. People were looking at him and laughing at his bad luck, but no one showed any sympathy. He played till he finished all his money.
6. In what way did the shopkeeper make a fool of Rasheed? (11)
The shopkeeper played tricks to tempt to try his luck by making him believe that it was luck that got the old man and the boy their prizes but in reality they were friends of the shopkeeper. Therefore, Rasheed tried his luck again and again but only got some cheap things which he sold back to the shopkeeper and lost all his money.