Reading Comp accounts for roughly 35% of your Verbal score.
1. OWN THE PASSAGE & Set up your RC Ladder™ - There are no shortcuts. You have to read the passages very carefully. Be an EMPOWERED reader:
• Concentrate - Invest FULL mental attention as you read
•Pace Yourself - You must read at a comfortable pace, not letting the clock or adrenaline speed up your reading. Allow for excellent comprehension, but never get bogged down in the details or complex terminology
• Take Short Absorption Pauses - Pauses facilitate absorption, and prevent the reader from racing through the passage
Read to be able to answer the following questions:
• Why did the author write the passage? [For example: to discuss, argue for, or against something]
• What was the author’s main point? [For example: To discuss a method, and acknowledge its shortcomings]
2. KNOW THE GOAL - To get RC questions right, you have to know the goal of the question. That means knowing each of the 3 question types, and reading the particular question EXTREMELY carefully so that you can make your call as to what you think the answer should be.
3. OWN THE ANSWERS Nitpick the answer options so that you can slash the wrong answers, and match the right answer with your call. Often, the difference between the right option, and a runner up comes down to a difference of one word.