Question for Summary - The Sound of Music
Try yourself: How did Evelyn Glennie learn to listen to music despite her hearing problem?
- Evelyn Glennie, despite being profoundly deaf, learned to listen to music by sensing the sound through her body.
- At the age of eleven, it was discovered that she had a hearing problem, but her determination to pursue a career in music remained strong.
- Her teachers initially discouraged her, but it was Ron Forbes who recognized her potential and advised her to try sensing the sound in some other way.
- This advice became the turning point for Evelyn, as she learned to open her body and mind to the vibrations and interpret the different vibrations of sound on her body.
- By learning to listen with her body instead of her ears, Evelyn Glennie became a highly skilled multi-percussionist, mastering the art of playing thousands of instruments to perfection.
- Her ability to overcome her disability and achieve international recognition as a musician makes her an inspiration to others, proving that with determination and the right mindset, anyone can achieve their dreams.