Syllabus for Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) - Drones for Beginners: Build a Raspberry Pi DroneCourse Overview:
This course is designed for beginners in the field of Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) who are interested in building and understanding the working principles of drones. The course will focus on using Raspberry Pi, a credit-card sized computer, to construct a fully functional drone. Students will learn the basics of electronics, programming, and communication systems required for drone operations.Course Duration:
The course will be conducted over a period of 8 weeks, with each week consisting of 2 hours of theoretical lectures and 2 hours of practical sessions.Course Objectives:
- To familiarize students with the concepts of electronics and communication engineering in the context of drone technology.
- To provide hands-on experience in building and programming a Raspberry Pi drone.
- To enhance problem-solving and critical thinking skills through practical applications.
- To promote teamwork and collaboration among students.Course Contents:Week 1: Introduction to Drones and Raspberry Pi
- Introduction to drones and their applications in various industries.
- Overview of Raspberry Pi and its capabilities.
- Basics of electronics and communication engineering.Week 2: Drone Components and Assembly
- Understanding the different components of a drone.
- Assembly of the drone frame, motors, propellers, and other hardware.
- Introduction to soldering techniques.Week 3: Flight Control Systems
- Introduction to flight control systems and autopilot modules.
- Programming the Raspberry Pi for flight control.
- Testing and calibrating the drone's flight control system.Week 4: Sensors and Data Acquisition
- Overview of sensors used in drones (gyroscopes, accelerometers, GPS, etc.).
- Connecting and interfacing sensors with the Raspberry Pi.
- Data acquisition and processing for flight control.Week 5: Communication Systems
- Introduction to wireless communication systems used in drones.
- Configuring radio modules for communication between the drone and ground station.
- Implementing telemetry and video transmission.Week 6: Drone Navigation and Autonomous Flight
- Understanding navigation systems (GPS, compass, etc.) and their integration with the drone.
- Programming autonomous flight modes using GPS coordinates.
- Implementing obstacle detection and avoidance systems.Week 7: Drone Imaging and Photography
- Introduction to onboard cameras and their integration with the Raspberry Pi.
- Capturing and processing images and videos from the drone.
- Implementing basic computer vision algorithms for object detection.Week 8: Drone Applications and Future Trends
- Exploring the various applications of drones in different industries.
- Discussion on emerging trends and advancements in drone technology.
- Final project presentation and evaluation.Evaluation:
- Continuous assessment through practical assignments and quizzes.
- Final project presentation and evaluation.Prerequisites:
- Basic knowledge of electronics and communication engineering concepts.
- Familiarity with programming languages such as Python or C++.
- Basic understanding of computer networks and wireless communication systems.References:
- Raspberry Pi documentation and tutorials.
- Online resources and forums for drone building and programming.
- Relevant books and research papers in the field of drones and communication engineering.
This course is helpful for the following exams: Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE), Electronics Programming