Syllabus for GATE Mechanical Engineering (ME) 2023 Exam:
The syllabus for the GATE Mechanical Engineering (ME) 2023 exam is divided into various topics. Here is a detailed topic-wise syllabus along with the marks weightage:1. Engineering Mathematics:
- Linear Algebra: Matrix algebra, Eigenvalues, Eigenvectors.
- Calculus: Functions of single variable, Limit, Continuity, Differentiation, Maxima and minima, Mean value theorem, Integration.
- Differential Equations: First-order equations (linear and nonlinear), Higher-order linear differential equations with constant coefficients.
- Vector Calculus: Gradient, Divergence, Curl, Line, surface and volume integrals, Stokes, Gauss and Green's theorems.
Marks Weightage: 8-10 marks2. Applied Mechanics and Design:
- Engineering Mechanics: Free body diagrams and equilibrium, Trusses and frames, Virtual work and potential energy, Kinematics and dynamics of particles and of rigid bodies in plane motion.
- Mechanics of Materials: Stress and strain, Elastic constants, Bending moment and shear force diagrams, Theory of simple bending, Torsion, Mohr's circle for plane stress and plane strain, Thin cylinders, and spheres.
- Theory of Machines: Kinematic and dynamic analysis of planar mechanisms, Cams, Gears and gear trains, Flywheels, Governors, Balancing of reciprocating and rotating masses, Gyroscopes.
- Vibrations: Free and forced vibration of single-degree-of-freedom systems, Effect of damping, Resonance, Vibration isolation, Critical speeds of shafts.
Marks Weightage: 12-14 marks3. Fluid Mechanics and Thermal Sciences:
- Fluid Mechanics: Fluid properties, Fluid statics, Continuity, momentum, energy and corresponding equations, Potential flow, Viscous flow of incompressible fluids, Boundary layer, Dimensionless numbers, Flow measurements, Turbulent flow, Flow through pipes, and head losses in pipes.
- Heat-Transfer: Modes of heat transfer, One-dimensional heat conduction, Resistance concept, Fins, Unsteady heat conduction, Convection, and radiation heat transfer, Heat exchangers, Boiling and condensation, Heat conduction in composite solids.
- Applications: Power Engineering, Refrigeration and air-conditioning, I.C. Engines, Turbo Machinery.
Marks Weightage: 12-14 marks4. Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering:
- Engineering Materials: Structure and properties of engineering materials, Phase diagrams, Heat treatment, Stress-strain diagrams for engineering materials.
- Metal Casting: Design of patterns, moulds and cores, Solidification and cooling, Risering, Gating, and feeding.
- Forming: Plastic deformation and yield criteria, Fundamentals of hot and cold working processes, Load estimation for bulk and sheet metal forming processes.
- Joining: Physics of welding, brazing, and soldering, Adhesive bonding, Design considerations in welding.
- Machining and Machine Tool Operations: Mechanics of machining, Cutting tools, Tool wear, Machining economics, Unconventional machining processes, Machine tools, and machining centers.
- Metrology and Inspection: Limits, fits, and tolerances, Linear and angular measurements, Comparators, and gauges, Form and finish measurement, Alignment and testing methods, Tolerance analysis in manufacturing and assembly.
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing: Basic concepts of CAD/CAM and their integration tools.
Marks Weightage: 10-12 marksMock Test Series by EduRev:
EduRev provides a comprehensive Mock Test Series for the GATE Mechanical Engineering (ME) 2023 exam. The Mock Tests are designed to help candidates prepare effectively and familiarize themselves with the exam pattern and difficulty level. The Mock Test Series includes a wide range of questions covering all the topics mentioned in the syllabus.
Candidates can access the Mock Test Series on the EduRev website, which offers a user-friendly interface and detailed performance analysis. Taking these mock tests will not only help in assessing the preparation level but also provide an opportunity to identify and work on weak areas. The EduRev Mock Test Series for GATE Mechanical Engineering (ME) 2023 is a valuable resource for candidates aiming to excel in the exam.Note:
It is always recommended to refer to the official GATE Mechanical Engineering (ME) 2023 syllabus and exam pattern provided by the conducting authority for the most accurate and up-to-date information.
This course is helpful for the following exams: Mechanical Engineering