Activity: To study the different types of flames/presence of smoke.
Material required: Bunsen burner.
1. Light the bunsen burner.
Fig: Lightening of bunsen burner
2. Close the air hole and observe the colour of the flame.
3. Put a metal plate over it and observe the nature of deposit.
4. Open the air regulator to allow flow of air.
5. Observe the colour of flame.
6. Put a metal plate and observe the nature of deposit.
Conclusion: Keep the air regulator open to get oxidising, non-sooty flame which has high temperature and does not lead to black deposits.
Activity: To study the reaction of ethanol with alkaline potassium permanganate.
Material required: Ethanol, alkaline KMnO4, test tube.
Take about 3 ml of ethanol in a test tube.
Add 5% solution of alkaline KMnO4 drop by drop into this solution.
Observe the colour of alkaline KMnO4 after adding initially as well as finally.
Observation: The colour of KMnO4 gets discharged in the beginning. When excess of KMnO4 is added, the colour of KMnO4 does not disappear because whole of ethanol gets oxidised to ethanoic acid.