1. Every individual wants peace of mind. But it is hard to find a person who can say that he has attained such a state of mental equilibrium as will allow him to live a life of tranquility. Peace of mind is a distant dream for all of us. What is the reason for this? The reason is that people hanker after ideal peace, that is, pure peace–a peace that is free from all kinds of non–peace items.
2. But this kind of absolute peace is not in nature’s storehouse. Let us take the analogy of the rose. A rose is a very beautiful flower, but every stem has its thorns. Indeed, thorns are an integral part of the rose plant. A poet has rightly said that thorns serve as security guards for the flower. The translation of his Urdu lines is: “The safety of the flower would become impossible if the thorns were silk-like.’ So flowers have to be accompanied by thorns. There must be hard thorns along with soft flowers–that is, there must be non–peace items along with peaceful items. A peaceful mind is a very precious aspect of human nature and it too needs safety to maintain its sublime quality.
3. Studies in psychology show that an untroubled mind very soon becomes stagnant. It loses its creativity. For this reason, nature always leads people in challenging situations. It is a non–peace item which acts as a challenge for the mind. This guarantees that the creativity of a peaceful mind never comes to an end. A creative mind is always alive.
4. It is a common phenomenon that one who is born in affluence and has a problem–free life, very soon finds his mind becoming dull, while the one who is born into a life of problems and hardships, has an active mind. Such a person develops the creative thinking and his intellectual development continues unhindered.
5. Here, I would like to cite personal experience, concerning a politician who had two sons. He loved one of his sons very much. He got this son married to someone of his choice and presented him with a farmhouse in which to live a life of comfort, just as he pleased. I met this son and conversed with him. It seemed as if I were talking to a dull person. He did tell some jokes but could not utter a word of wisdom. I have met the other son also. He was not given a comfortable life by his father and so left town for another place. After a few years of struggle, he emerged as a successful person. When I met him, I found that his whole conversation was full of wisdom.
Attempt the following questions on the basis of the passage you have read:
(a) It is a distant dream for all of us _________.
(i) Peace of mind
(ii) fulfilling our ambition
(iii) meeting our targets
(iv) climbing the mountains
Correct Option is (i) Peace of mind
(b) The security guards for the flowers are __________.
(ii) other plants
Correct Option is (iii) thorns
(c) Thorns are an integral part of a rose plant. (True/False)
(d) Nature always leads people into challenging situations. (True/False)
(e) People who are born in ____________ have a problem-free life.
(f) People hanker after __________ peace.
(g) Psychology studies show that an untroubled mind soon becomes _________.
(h) Find the word from the passage which means the same as “very far”. (para 1)