Fill in the Blanks
1. The halogen which is most reactive in the halogenation of alkanes under sunlight is ................. . (chlorine, bromine, iodine) (1981 - 1 Mark)
Solution : Chlorine; because rate of formation of •CH3 (one of the propagating steps) is high when X• is Cl.
CH4 + X• → •CH3 + H – X
. The compound prepared by the action of magnesium on dry ethyl bromide in ether is known as ............. reagent. (1982 - 1 Mark)
Solution : Grignard (RMgX)
3. The interaction of elemental sulphur with Grignard reagent gives .............. . (1991 - 1 Mark)
Solution : Thioalcohol
4. Vinyl chloride on reaction with dimethyl copper gives ............... . (1997 - 1 Mark)
Ans : polyvinyl chloride
Solution : polyvinyl chloride
1. m-Chlorobromobenzene is an isomer of m-bromochlorobenzene. (1985 - ½ Mark)
Solution : False : m-Chlorobromobenzene and m-bromochlorobenzene is one and the same compound.
2. The reaction of vinyl chloride with hydrogen iodide to give 1-chloro-1-iodoethane is an example of anti-Markovnikov’s rule. (1989 - 2 Marks)
This is an example of Markownikoff’s rule as I– is added at the C with less number. of H-atoms.
NOTE : anti-Markonikov's rule is applicable only to HBr, but not to HI and HCl.