NEET : Intermolecular Interactions Class 11 Notes | EduRev
The document Intermolecular Interactions Class 11 Notes | EduRev is a part of the NEET
Course Chemistry for JEE
All you need of NEET at this link: NEET
- Intermolecular forces can be described as the forces of attraction and repulsion existing between the interactingparticles of atoms and molecules in a compound.
- The attractive intermolecular forces are called van der Waals forces which include dispersion forces or London forces, dipole-dipole forces, and dipole-induced dipole forces.
- Intermolecular forces in case of solids are very strong. The constituent particles are closely packed thereby making the solids incompressible and of high density.
- Intermolecular forces in case of liquids keeps the particles tied to each other but cannot keep them in fixed positions thereby making them easy to flow and have a definite shape.
- Intermolecular forces in case of gases are extremely weak thereby allowing the constituent particles to move freely.