Displacing Indigenous peoples
This theme tells the story of what European settlers did to the native peoples of Australia and America. The natives and the Europeans represented competing, notions of Civilization.
1. Spain and Portugal did not expand thin empire after the 17th Century
2. Replaced by France, Holland and Britain extending trading activities and established colonies in America, Africa and Asia.
3. Ireland was also a colony of England.
4. Prospect of Profit drove people to establish colony
5. Nature of the control on colony was varied
6. Trading company became political power in South Asia, defeated rulers, retained administrative system.
7. Collected taxes and built railway to make trade easier, excavated mines and established big plantation.
8. Africa was divided as colonies among Europeans.
The native Peoples
1. Might have came from Asia through a land bridge across the Bering straits, 30000 years before.
2. Lived ingroups along river valley
3. Goods were obtained not by buying, but by gifts
4. Numerous language but not written down
5. Friendly and welcoming to Europeans
6. Natives addicted of Alcohol and tobacco and so European dictated the terms of trade
Comparative Study between American natives and Europeans.
The Gold Rush and the growth of Industries
1. Traces of gold led to'Gold Rush'in 1840's in California.
2. Led to building of railway lines across the continent.
3. Industries developed to manufacture Railway equipment.
4. To make large scale Farming possible machinery Produced
5. Employment generation led to growth of towns and factories.
6. Within 30 years in 1890 USA was the leading industrial power.
1. Early settlers were convicts deported from England on Condition not to return again.
2. Ejected natives from land and took over for cultivation without remorse.
3. Natives were Employed in farms, Later Chinese immigrants provided cheap labour
4. Australia's non-white policy.
5. 'The great Australian Silence' - the silence of historians about the aborigins.
6. Multi culturalism, an offcial in Australia from 1974, an equal respecttoall culture.
7. WhiteAustralia policy ends in 1974 and Asian immigrants allowed
8. 'Terra nullins' legally invalid and recognise native claims to land from be fare 1770.
9. 'ANational sorry day' as apologyforthe children lostfromthe 1820'stothe 1970's