Common-Law Admission Test (CLAT) is the most important of all the law entrances in India after Class XII.
- CLAT began in 2008. Today, more than 40,000 students write the entrance exam every year to secure a seat in one of the top participating National Law Universities, including NLSIU Bangalore-the Harvard of the East.
- CLAT is conducted every year to select students for 19 National Law Universities in India, other than National Law University-Delhi and HP National Law University-Shimla, which have their own process to select the students.
- CLAT Score is also accepted by other law schools including NMIMS, Mumbai, UPES Dehradun, and Nirma University, Ahmedabad, to name a few. After passing the CLAT examination, you can be admitted to any of the following National Law Universities to continue your studies in the Law stream.
- After completion of Law courses in NLUs, you get good placements on the campus. You can then become a successful LAWYER and JUDGE, and you may even reach higher positions thereafter like High court lawyer, chief justice, Solicitor general, Legal advisor, and more.
The following National Law Universities (along with intake) accept CLAT scores to admit students to their five year LLB programs every year:
CLAT 2023 - General Information CLAT includes 5 sections in the exam namely:
Mock Test Series for CLAT
Legal Aptitude for CLAT
- Includes 23 docs, 81 videos & 51 tests
English for CLAT
- Includes 10 docs & 43 tests
Logical Reasoning for CLAT
Eligibility Criteria for CLAT 2023
Candidates, to apply online for CLAT 2023, need to fulfil the eligibility criteria for this exam at two stages. The CLAT Eligibility 2023 includes details about the age and educational qualification.
CLAT Age Limit
- As per the CLAT eligibility criteria, there are no age limit criteria for candidates applying for CLAT 2023.
CLAT Educational Qualification
- The details about the CLAT Educational qualification are mentioned below.
(i) Candidate should qualify for the class 12th or equivalent exam from a recognized board or university.
(ii) For General/OBC/Specially-abled person (SAP) the percentage criteria are 45%.
(iii) For SC/ST the percentage criteria are 40%.
CLAT Apply Online 2023
- CLAT apply online 2023 began on 1st week of August 2022. Candidates applying for the CLAT Exam 2023 must check the eligibility details before applying for the exam. The CLAT application form will be available on the official website.
- The CLAT online registration and application process will be open until last week of October 2022. All the CLAT Application form details are mentioned below.
Step to apply online for CLAT 2023
- Follow the steps mentioned below to complete the online application process for CLAT 2023.
- Step 1: CLAT 2023 Online Registration. Visit the CLAT official website or click on the link mentioned above. To register, fill in the details like name, mobile number, email address, and password.
- Step 2: Log in to the website using the mobile number and password.
- Step 3: Fill in the CLAT application form 2023. Complete the form with all the relevant details.
- Step 4: Upload the scanned copy of documents: Photograph, Signature, Domicile Certificate/ reserved category certificates.
- Step 5: Payment of CLAT Application Fee.
CLAT Application Fees
You can check the details of the CLAT 2023 exam application fees from the table below:
Online Admission Procedure
The admission to UG and PG programs in participating universities under CLAT-2023 shall be completed through centralized online counselling conducted by the CLAT Consortium Office. The basis of allotment of seats shall be 'merit-cum-preference', i.e., the CLAT Rank, the order of preference given by the candidate in the CLAT application form and the category/categories selected by the candidate in the online application form, and the number of seats and their division/break-up as available in each of the participating NLU. Online counselling shall start after the declaration of CLAT-2023 results.
CLAT Admit Card 2023
- The admit card for CLAT 2023 exam will be released in the 4th week of November 2022. Only candidates who have successfully applied for the exam will be eligible to download CLAT 2023 admit card from the official website.
- Make sure you have your registration number and password handy to download the admit card hassle-free.
How to download the CLAT Admit Card 2023
Follow the below-mentioned steps to download the CLAT Admit Card 2023:
(i) Open the official website of the CLAT consortium.
(ii) Enter the registered mobile number and password to log in for the admit card and click on the “Login” button.
- Click on the 'Download Admit Card' link and save the admit card pdf.
- Candidates must cross-check all the details mentioned in the CLAT Admit Card.
CLAT Pattern and Marking Scheme
CLAT exam 2023 will consist of a total of 5 sections and will be conducted online. Also, there is a negative marking of 0.25 marks for every incorrect answer.
Here is the exam pattern for CLAT 2023 exam:
- Each Question will carry 1 mark for the right answer.
- There will be a negative marking of 0.25 for every wrong answer.
- There will be a total of 150 Objective (MCQ) type questions in the test.
- CLAT Exam Duration will be 2 hours.
There is, of course, a variation in CLAT cut-offs from year to year.
The cutoffs for the CLAT exam depend on multiple criteria which are:
- The difficulty level of the exam.
- A total number of seats available that year.
The cut-offs for Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) signify the score/rank at which aspirants are offered admission in different colleges accepting CLAT scores/ranks for admission. CLAT cutoffs form the basis on which candidates are offered admission in different NLUs.
CLAT 2019 Rank Cut-offs
CLAT Cut-off Rank
The table below mentions closing rank (CLAT cutoff rank) for admissions into the respective NLUs.
Prepare and Practice for CLAT With CLAT Mock Test Series and CLAT Past Year Papers
Mock Test Series for CLAT
CLAT Past Year Papers (2008-2020)
Preparation for CLAT 2023
The preparation time of any examination is really exhaustive. Due to the increasing number of aspirants for law studies over time, the competition is going to become very tough. So, you need some good preparation tips and strategies to be able to get the desired results.
The syllabus for CLAT 2023 for UG course admissions as mentioned on the official website for the exam is as follows:
Section 1: English Including Comprehension
English for CLAT
Includes 10 docs & 43 tests
- In this section, the candidates are tested in their proficiency in the English subject. They are asked questions related to comprehension passages and grammar in the exam.
- In the comprehension section, a passage is given and candidates are asked questions related to that passage, its central theme, meanings of words used in the passage, etc. The grammar section requires correction of incorrect grammatical sentences given, filling of blanks in sentences with appropriate words, etc.
Section 2: General Knowledge and Currents Affairs
- This section is all about evaluating the candidate's general awareness, including static general knowledge. Candidates are expected to have a good knowledge of current affairs and hence, questions here are all current affairs based. Candidates need to be up-to-date with news and other topics discussed in mainstream media from March 2016 to June 2023.
Section 3: Mathematics
Quantitative Aptitude for CLAT
Includes 21 docs & 31 tests
- The Quantitative section of CLAT evaluates the Elementary Mathematics knowledge of the candidate, which includes the various Maths concepts students have studied upto class 10.
Section 4: Legal Aptitude
Legal Aptitude for CLAT
Includes 23 docs, 81 videos & 51 tests
- The Legal Aptitude section is all about testing a candidate’s aptitude or interest in law, research aptitude as well as problem-solving abilities.
- According to the official website for CLAT: “Questions in this section will be framed with the help of legal propositions and a set of facts to which the said proposition has to be applied.
- Some propositions may not be “true” in the real sense (e.g. the legal proposition may be that any person who speaks in a movie hall and disturbs others that are watching the movie will be banned from entering any movie theatre across India for one year). Candidates will have to assume the “truth” of these propositions and answer the questions accordingly”.
Section 5: Logical Reasoning
Logical Reasoning for CLAT
Includes 16 docs & 55 tests
- To evaluate a candidate’s ability to identify patterns, logical links as well as rectify illogical arguments, the Reasoning section is included in CLAT.
- This section will include logical reasoning questions for various topics like syllogisms, analogies, logical sequences, etc. But, visual reasoning will not be tested.
Other Important Instructions for the Candidates
- Information regarding the details of intake, reservation policies, and the courses offered along with the fee structures of various participating National Law Universities is available in the Information Brochure which can be accessed from the official website of CLAT and also from the websites of the participating NLUs.
- The candidates are, therefore, advised to thoroughly go through the rules, policies, and the fee structure of the participating NLUs before filling in the application form for UG as well as PG courses, and also for the NRI and Foreign National seats.
- Information provided in the e-Brochure regarding the intake, reservation policy, fee, courses offered, and the subjects taught at various levels, including the areas of specialization, etc., has been specified very briefly. For detailed information regarding the same, the candidates may refer to the information available at the websites of the participating NLUs.
- In the event of unforeseen incidents resulting in the cancellation of a Test city or centre, or an insufficient or extra number of candidates opting to appear from a particular Test Centre, the Convenor, CLAT-2023 reserves the right to cancel such a City/Centre and shift the applicant to another City/Centre.
- In order to claim the benefit of reservation, the candidate must produce the relevant certificates as prescribed by the Government of India/State Government and as required by the respective NLU at the time of admission, as notified by them.
- The CLAT-2023 application fee is non-refundable and non-adjustable.
- Participating in National Law Universities reserve the right to change the total number of seats and break-up of seats as per their policy before the final allotment. The reservation policy is subject to change, as decided by the concerned Government from time to time.
- If a candidate has filled-in more than one online application form, the candidate's last online application form only will be considered. In such cases, the application fee for the previous application forms will not be refunded.
- The allotment of seats and the offer for admission under CLAT-2023 shall be provisional and shall not create any right of admission in favour of a candidate.
- Candidates are advised to visit the CLAT-2023 website regularly for updates.