The Union government informed Parliament that it is in the process of amending rules pertaining to the Information and Technology sector so that social media platforms could be made more responsive and accountable to Indian laws.
Ongoing Tussle Between Government And Social Media Giant
Social Media And Its Need
Need For Social Media Guidelines
Problem with Digital Platfoms
Section 69A of the Information Technology Act
- It offers the power to issue directions for blocking for public access of any information through any computer resource.
- This is done in the interest of-
- sovereignty and integrity of India
- defence of India, security of the State
- friendly relations with foreign States
- public order (or)
- for preventing incitement to the commission of any cognizable offence relating to above