10. GOVERNMENT SCHEMES IN NEWS
10.1. KISAN CREDIT CARD SCHEME
Why in news?
The Central government is seeking to fix targets for allocation of Kisan credit cards to livestock and dairy farmers
as banks are hesitant to do so.
• The KCC Scheme was introduced in the year 1998 with the objectives of providing adequate and timely credit
to the farmers for their agricultural operation.
• In 2018, it was extended to fisheries, livestock and dairy farmers
Objectives Eligibility Key Features
• To provide
• All farmers-individuals/Joint borrowers who are
• Tenant farmers, Oral lessees and Share Croppers
• SHGs or Joint Liability Groups of farmers including
tenant farmers, share croppers etc.,
• Criteria For inland fisheries: Fishers, Fish Farmers
(individual & groups/ partners/ share croppers/
tenant farmers), Self Help Groups, Joint Liability
Groups and women groups.
o The beneficiaries must own or lease any of the
fisheries related activities such as pond, tank,
open water bodies, raceway, hatchery, rearing
unit, possess necessary license for fish farming
and fishing related activities, and any other
State specific fisheries and allied activities.
• Criteria for Marine fisheries: Beneficiaries listed
above, who own or lease registered fishing
vessel/boat, possess necessary fishing
license/permission for fishing in estuary and sea,
fish farming/mariculture activities in estuaries and
open sea and any other State specific fisheries and
• Dairy - Farmers and Dairy farmers having owned
• Poultry and small ruminant - Farmers, poultry
farmers of sheep/goats/pigs/poultry/ birds /rabbit
and having owned/rented/leased sheds.
• The loan disbursed under KCC is broad
based and may be used as working
capital and for short term credit
requirements for cultivation of crops,
post-harvest expenses, produce
marketing loan, consumption
requirement of farmer household etc.
• The loans disbursed under KCC
Scheme for notified crops are covered
under Crop Insurance Scheme.
• It provides facility of ATM enabled
RuPay Card, one-time
documentation, and any number of
withdrawals within the limit.
• Scheme covers risk of KCC holders
against death or permanent disability
resulting from accidents caused by
external, violent and visible means.
• Rate of Interest will be linked to Base
Rate and is left to the discretion of
• Interest Subvention/Incentive for
prompt repayment as advised by
Government of India and / or State
Governments. The bankers will make
the farmer s aware of this facility.