- All the NEET aspirants must be aware of all the tips and tricks that will help them to achieve the best possible results. Candidates must start their preparation for NEET Biology since Class 11 as the syllabus carries equal distribution of questions from Class 11 and Class 12.
- The biology section in the NEET question paper comprises 90 questions offering a total of 360 marks. Preparation for NEET Biology requires a candidate to be thorough with the NCERT as the syllabus and questions for the Biology are almost entirely based on it.
- Candidates undergoing their NEET Biology preparation must understand the concepts included in the syllabus and practise the questions based on their application. Analysis of NEET previous year question papers has revealed that the difficulty level of the question paper has increased over the years.
- The students must be aware of all the current trends and must analyse the NEET previous year papers to know everything about what they need to study and how to accomplish it.
Helpful Tips and Guidance
1. Know and divide the syllabus
- Candidates preparing for NEET Biology must be familiar with the fact that the syllabus of the subject is vast and requires deep understanding.
- The Biology portion comprises 38 chapters from the curriculum of Class 11 and 12 combined. You can refer to the EduRev courses of Class 11 Biology and Class 12 Biology to start with the preparation.
- It is necessary for the candidates to break up the syllabus into smaller sections in order to prepare for NEET Biology and also have knowledge of the important topics so that the time of study could be devoted accordingly.
- A detailed description of the syllabus and the topics of importance among those have been provided here for candidates’ reference purpose.
2. Start with the very Basics
- In order to achieve a good level of preparation, you need to keep studying your biology course on a daily basis.
- Make sure that you are studying with the help of NCERT books. Go through the diagrams of NCERT as many questions are based on diagrams. Solve all the examples provided in NCERT textbooks. EduRev courses of Class 11 Biology and Class 12 Biology offer NCERT textbooks, exemplars, solutions, along with topic-wise tests and chapters-wise tests to help you strengthen your basics.
- In pre-medical exams, few tricky questions are asked in which the meaning and concept of the question is changed by replacing a few words. It is better if you know the weightage of all the chapters so that you can prepare accordingly. Spend more time on the chapters with high weightage.
3. Make a proper Study Schedule
- An effective plan of study goes a long way, especially when it comes to preparing for NEET Biology, keeping the entire syllabus in perspective.
- The time for each topic within the syllabus of NEET must be allocated according to the importance of the topics.
- It is also important that one adheres to the study schedule and includes changes in it as one progresses.
- A proper weekly plan would definitely be really helpful in the long run. Stick to your study plan.
- Make changes if required as you move ahead. Include all the three subjects in your timetable.
4. Study Material
- This is indeed the most important aspect of your preparation. The quality of your study resources will determine your score in the exam.
- NCERT of Class XI and XII are the first and best source of clarifying the basic concepts. EduRev courses of Class 11 Biology and Class 12 Biology offer NCERT textbooks for all the chapters.
- After your basics and fundamental concepts are clear, only then move onto the advanced concepts and books.
5. Create tables and charts for easy understanding
- Summarize your study in the form of charts and tables that will act as a quick revision strategy preceding the exam days. Utilizing personal keywords that will enable to remember would prove to be the most useful.
- Try and include important applications and examples in these charts. Be thoroughly
- Prepared with Diagrams: You must thoroughly prepare diagrams of NCERT as a lot of questions in the exam are diagram based.
- You can refer to Mind-maps provided with each chapter in EduRev's courses of Class 11 Biology and Class 12 Biology.
6. Practice as much as you can
- Aspirants preparing Biology for NEET 2021 must develop the habit of intense practice. Understanding concepts, in theory, can only be implemented through practice.
- A number of NEET sample papers and previous year question papers should be solved to acquire an idea about the pattern of questions that will be asked. Another thing that you need to follow is to analyse the mock test when you are done.
- Without analysis, you will not be able to find out your weak areas for the NEET exam. You must practice and solve an ample number of MCQs based on different topics from different comprehensive books and attempt various test series.
Here are some really good mocks for you to practice
7. Take up mock tests
8. Revise Regularly
- To reap the proper benefits of studying and practising one should keep revising at regular intervals. This ensures that whatever has been studied stays fresh in the memory.
- Candidates should make it a point to revise the entire syllabus several times before the exams so as to be thorough with each concept included in each topic.
- The regular revision also allows one to keep track of the progress of the study.
9. Practice Past Year Papers
- Past exam papers are one of the most helpful tools available to prepare for both internal and external examinations as they provide students with practical insight into how the forthcoming exam paper is likely to look and the key themes or subject areas most likely to be covered.
- Before starting revision for a subject, it is always worth taking the time to seek out past papers.
In all the pre-medical exams, Biology, being the highest score carrying subject, can assure you guaranteed rank if you have prepared well. Most of the questions of Biology are based on basic concepts of NCERT. As both zoology and botany carry equal marks, equal attention is to be paid on the preparation of both.
Syllabus for NEET 2021 Biology
- As per the observations of the past few years, the difficulty level of Biology has risen. Until and unless you make a complete schedule of the way you want to study, you will not be able to complete the syllabus.
- To study Biology for NEET 2021, candidates must ascertain first, the important topics from both the sub-sections (Botany & Zoology), their weightage and books which must be used for preparation.
- Among all the topics, Animalia and Plantae are a bit confusing; therefore, require rigorous practice.
- Apart from this, Plant Physiology, Ecology, Cell Biology, Human Physiology, Molecular Basis of Inheritance, Biomolecules, and Biotechnology carry a lot of weightage. Read the article below for a detailed analysis of important questions and preparation strategy to ace NEET 2021.
- In order to be in the run and ace this exam, candidates must be well versed with NEET Exam Pattern.
- The questions are asked from 3 sections, namely, Physics, Biology and Chemistry. A total of 90 MCQs are asked in the NEET Biology section- 45 MCQs from each Zoology and Botany.
Topic Wise Importance for NEET 2021 Biology
Based on the weightage and the frequency of questions over the years, the important topics for preparation of NEET Biology can be listed as:
- Genetics and Evolution
- Physiology – Plant and Human
- Reproduction – Flowering Plants and Human
- Diversity in Living Organisms
- Structural Organization in Living Organisms
- Cell Structure and Function
Chapter-Wise Weightage of Botany Section in NEET 2021
- Planning is the main step of NEET 2021 Preparation. Plan your studies! It is always wise to pick up those topics which carry high weightage, so, go for it.
- Plant Physiology and Ecology are the topics that carry high weightage, but they take much time to prepare. All the topics are mandatory but if you are running out of time, then focus on those which carry high weightage.
Table: Chapter Weightage of Botany Section
Chapter-Wise Weightage of Zoology Section in NEET 2021
- Zoology in NEET 2021 is a sub-section of the Biology Section. As per the previous year analysis of NEET Question Papers, Human Physiology has a major contribution in the Zoology section.
- The other major topic in NEET Biology Preparation is the Endocrine System; also questions from Animal Kingdom, Biotechnology, Human Health and Disease are asked.
Table: Chapter Wise Weightage of Zoology Section
Here is the analysis of the NEET 2019 question paper which will help you in better understanding of the exam pattern.
NEET 2021 Preparation Books for Biology
- NCERT Books are considered best for understanding the concepts. And most importantly, most of the questions are picked from NCERT books in the NEET exam. Practising questions from other reference books will greatly boost up the preparation. Given below is a set of reference books for NEET Biology preparation.
Recommended Books for NEET 2021
- NCERT Biology of Class XI and XII
- Trueman’s Elementary Biology for class 11
- Objective NCERT – Biology
- Trueman’s Elementary Biology for class 12
- Genetics by Strickberger
- GRB Bathla's Publication's for Biology
- Pradeep Publication's Biology