- Physics for NEET or as a matter of fact, any other exam, needs one to be very strong with the fundamentals. It needs one to be able to visualize the various processes. The application skills and problem-solving abilities can be improved easily if your basics are clear. So, you have to study with patience keeping this in mind.
- Many Medical students find NEET Physics section difficult since it contains a wide variety of theoretical concepts and numerical problems.
- Most of the NEET Aspirants have developed a habit of learning everything. This approach may help them in NEET Biology but not in NEET Physics. When you try to study Physics without having any practical edge to your preparation plan, candidates feel that they have understood all the concepts but during their examinations, they won’t be able to apply the same.
- Physics in NEET is more conceptual rather than numerical. Topics like Mechanics, Heat & Thermodynamics, Electrodynamics and Modern Physics are the most important chapters for this exam. This selection of important areas is made on the analysis of previous years’ questions. Mugging up the theoretical part won’t help in clearing NEET Exam but understanding the concepts would.
This can be achieved by following some tips while preparing for NEET Physics:
1. Make a proper Strategy
- Before jumping on to the preparation, you must be well versed with the pattern of the exam. Physics section in NEET comprises 45 questions wherein, each correct answer will fetch +4 marks and 1 mark will be deducted for every incorrect answer. Also, you need to analyse the whole syllabus for strategic learning.
- It is important to be well versed with the topics and syllabus. On that note, it has been highly recommended to study theory from class 11 and 12 NCERT textbooks along with other exam coaching guides. The syllabus consists mainly from CBSE and other also state boards.
2. Clear Your Concepts
- According to Previous Year Papers, Mechanics, Heat & Thermodynamics, Electrodynamics and Modern Physics are the most important topics in NEET Physics. So for your Physics Preparation, you must first clear the concepts related to these topics.
- Concepts are to be understood, not mugged up. Once you clearly see each concept for what it is all about, you will be ready for the next step. Understand the concept in such a manner that you can visualize them. This is very important when it comes to Physics.
EduRev Courses Physics Class 11 and Physics Class 12
3. Learn Physics Formulas
- Formulas are the backbone of Physics. Learning Formulas is the most important step while preparing NEET Physics. So, try to learn those formulas daily.
- Along with the formulas, solve as many numerical as you can. This will help you improve application skills and problem-solving abilities. You must practice a sufficient number of questions so that you master the skill of application of your knowledge to solve problems.
4. Prepare a Timetable
- Make a proper timetable and make sure you follow it strictly. Give the required time to each subject which will help you learn the difficult concepts in a good amount of time. Time management during preparation is really important as then, you will have enough time for every subject and no time constraints would arise.
5. Make Notes
- During your NEET Physics Preparation, you need to make notes of all the important formulas, theorems, and concepts. Physics Notes for NEET will help you to learn the concepts faster and will also help you in your last-minute preparation.
- These notes will be helpful during the revision time and also, while you write the concepts you are learning, you understand them better and they are retained in your mind for a long time.
6. Improve Your Weak Areas
- Try to improve your weak areas. You will get to know your weaknesses by practicing with as many tests as possible. Focus more on the topics in which you are weak. Make a list of those topics and try to improve those. You must start with the most important topics of NEET Physics and after that prepare for the less important ones.
7. Attempt Mock test, Previous Years Papers
- Practicing with mock test series, previous years papers, and solved papers is the best way to assess your weak topic areas. You can ideally put solve at least 1 mock test weekly during your revision period. In the month before your actual exam, increase your number to one mock test daily
- For this, a sitting of minimum two-three hours daily for Physics topics is recommended. Even the subjective and objective questions at the end of every chapter in NCERT textbooks are good for practice.
- The best way to prepare for NEET Physics is to solve Previous Year Question Papers. Solving these NEET Physics Questions will help you identify the type of questions asked in the NEET Exam. It also improves your speed and accuracy. So, solve as many question papers as possible and get yourself prepared for the exam.
- Taking Online Mock Tests will help you identify your level of preparation that how much you have prepared for the exam. It will also help you identify your weak areas.
EduRev Courses: NEET Mock Test Series
Topicswise Suggestions/Tips for NEET 2021
Be thorough with Mechanics (Relative motion, Uniform circular motion, Conservation of momentum, Conservation of angular momentum, rolling motion etc.).
- Must be very clear with concepts like displacement, acceleration, average velocity, relative velocity. Try to visualize the problems in the mind to effectively tackle them.
- In projectiles finding Range, Maximum height, Time of flight, the velocity at any point on the trajectory is important. Generally in this area questions are straight and fair.
- Questions based on graphical data are also important.
Laws of Motion:
- Practice the conceptual questions based on Laws of Motion and application of the principle of conservation of linear momentum. While working out problems related to connected bodies, students should necessarily draw free body diagrams.
- Easy to prepare. Finding the velocity of the colliding bodies in a one-dimensional elastic head-on collision is important.
Work Power Energy:
- Work-Energy Theorem is the main subtopics.
- Sometimes it is advantageous to do the problem using the law of energy.
Motion Of System Of Particles And Rigid Body:
- Students can easily answer questions on vertical circular motion as they will be on expected models.
- Problems of finding Torque, when position vector and force vector are given are important.
- Finding the Moment of inertia of regular bodies using parallel and perpendicular axes theorem are important.
- Also, work out problems based on conservation of angular momentum and rolling motion.
- Be clear with basic forces in nature. Simple questions on the Universal law of gravitation, variation of ‘g’ with altitude, depth, latitude are important.
- Problem solving technique using energy conservation helps arrive at the answers.
- Problem on orbital velocity, escape velocity are very important.
Properties Of Bulk Matter:
- The advantage with elasticity is limited sub-topics, limited models of problems. The main concepts are with a different stress, strain-related modulus of elasticity, and Poisson’s ratio. To answer theory bits, concepts like elastic fatigue, the behavior of wire under increasing load must be understood.
- Examples of surface tension from daily life, surface energy, relation between surface tension and surface energy, angle of contact, capillarity. Effect of temperature on surface tension, excess pressure in soap bubble and liquid drop are topics from which we can expect questions. Problems like finding work done to split big drop into a number of droplets, work done to blow a soap bubble are important.
- Try to be thorough with fluid mechanics as it is interrelated to many other topics in physics.
- Problems based on Bernoulli’s theorem, the velocity of efflux are more important.
- Have a clear idea of zeroth law of thermodynamics, Joule's law, and the first law of thermodynamics. Principle of calorimeter, problems related to different thermodynamic processes are important. While solving the problems related to work done in adiabatic and isothermal keep in mind the sign conventions.
- Do some models on Carnot engine – Efficiency and Coefficient of performance.
- Be thorough with the concepts on Kinetic theory of gasses.
Kinetic theory of gases:
- Simple and easy topic in which conceptual questions can be practiced.
Oscillations and waves:
- Students should understand the term phase and its importance in solving problems.
- Different relations for velocity, acceleration, maximum and minimum values are to be remembered.
- To solve problems related to loaded spring, students should have a clear idea of spring constant, changes in the time period, when it is cut, and coupled with other springs.
- Try to work out more numerical on Doppler effect and pipes
In optics, wave optics may be covered first as the content is less compared to Geometrical Optics. Regarding wave optics concentrate on theory based questions.
Theory based questions will be asked from the chapters like Modern physics, Semiconductor devices, Communication systems. So one must keep this in their mind at the time of the preparation.
Another common area is Gravitation, Electrostatics and Magnetism with same principles and applications by chance of variables. Coulomb's law becomes Newton’s Gravitational law. The analogue of the Gauss’s Law can be used for evaluation of gravitational field. Electricity and Magnetism can be studied together.
Give top priority to Modem Physics, Electrostatics, Magnetic effects of current and earth’s magnetism, Heat & Thermodynamics, SHM and Oscillations, Current Electricity, Gravitation & Rotational Mechanics, EMI, AC & EM Waves, Optics, Kinematics.
Most Important Topics for Physics NEET 2021
- Modern Physics
- Heat and Thermodynamics
- SHM and Waves
Important Topics for NEET 2021 Physics
According to the previous years’ trends, here some important topics from which a maximum number of questions are asked. So, you can just focus on these and prepare them thoroughly to secure high marks in this section.
The following weightage of the NEET Physics Chapters is from 2019 Exam.
Books for NEET 2021 Physics Preparation
- Concepts of Physics Volume I and II by H.C. Verma
- Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick and Walker
- New Simplified Physics: A Reference Book for Class XI and XII by S.L Arora
- Problems in General Physics by I. E. Irodov
- NCERT- Physics Part 1 and Part 2
- Trueman’s Objective Physics for Medical / Engg. Entrance Examinations
NEET 2019 Physics Question Paper Analysis
The table below gives the weightage and total marks from each unit and topic based on the previous year patterns:
Similarly, Prepare for Physics and Chemistry for NEET with tips and tricks provided here to guide you:
How to prepare for NEET Chemistry?
How to prepare for NEET Biology?