- It is an important port city and the capital of West Bengal.
- The Hooghly River is a distributary of the Ganges River and plays a significant role in the city's trade and transportation.
- Kolkata is known for its historical significance, cultural heritage, and bustling riverfront activities.
- Jaipur, Shimla, and Ahmedabad are not situated on rivers and are landlocked cities in different parts of India.
- An estuary is a partially enclosed coastal body of water where freshwater from a river meets and mixes with saltwater from the ocean.
- The Narmada river is known for its wide estuary, which is formed where it meets the Arabian Sea.
- The estuary of the Narmada river is an important ecological zone, supporting a diverse range of flora and fauna.
- It is also a significant fishing area and provides livelihoods to many local communities.
- Smallest State(area): Goa
- Smallest State(Population): Sikkim
- Place of heaviest rainfall: Mausinram (Meghalaya)
- Deepest river valley: Bhagirathi & Alaknanda
- Bank, with maximum branches: State Bank of India
|1. What are some important towns in India located on rivers?|
|2. Which is the largest town on a river in India?|
|3. Which is the longest river in India?|
|4. Which is the highest town on a river in India?|
|5. Which is the confluence of the Ganges and Yamuna rivers in India?|