LEGAL GK & CURRENT AFFAIRS:
1. Interpretation of the constitution falls under Appellate jurisdiction.
2. Laws made by executive for administrative convenience are called Bye-Laws
3. Apart from J & K, Nagaland has a special protection notwithstanding anything contained in constitution in certain matters
4. Speaker can ask a member of a house to stop speaking & let another member speak – Yielding the floor.
5. Duration of Zero hour in Lok Sabha – Not specified/Not fixed.
6. State which has the highest number of seats reserved ST in Lok Sabha – Madhya Pradesh.
7. Five Year plan Concept borrowed from USSR.
8. The act that provided for the first time for separate representation of Muslim community – Indian council act (Morley Minto Reforms) 1909.
9. CJ of Andhra Pradesh High court– Chancellor of NALSAR University of law located in Hyderabad.
10. Legal advisor to the Govt. of state– Advocate General
11. D.K. Basu V. State of W.B –Safeguards for arrested persons
12. Seema V. Ashwani Kumar–Compulsory regd. Of marriages in India
13. Minerva Mills V. UOI – Stuck principles over Fundamental rights.
14. BCI – Statutory body of laying down the standards of professional conduct & etiquette for advocates in India.
15. MCI – Statutory body of laying down the standards of professional conduct & etiquette for Doctors in India.
16. Max. time for filing of a complaint before consumer disputes redressal forum from the date when Cause of action arises – 2 Years.
17. First English legal charter relating to Fundamental rights of the citizens – Magna Carta
18. Oldest High court in India – High court of Calcutta
19. 1st Woman Supreme court Judge – J. Fatima Beevi.
20. 1st Woman High court judge – J. Leela Seth.
21. Aruna Shaunbaug V. UOI Passive euthanasia under exceptional circumstances allowed
22. Total High courts in India – 24 (3 New High courts added – Manipur, Meghalaya, Tripura)
23. Andaman & Nicobar islands come under the jurisdiction of Calcutta High court.
24. Lakshadweep islands come under the jurisdiction of Kerala High court.
25. Finance Secretary – Not a constitutional post.
26. CEC, CAG, Vice president of India – Constitutional posts
27. CJI – removed by Impeachment proceedings (2/3 rd majority)
28. Constitutional bench – 5 Judges
29. Full bench – All judges in a court or Specified No. of judges fixed by Chief justice
30. Division bench – 2 Judges
31. Right to vote – Legal/Constitutional Right
32. Right to Property – Legal/Statutory right
33. 1 st Law Minister of India – Dr. B.R. Ambedkar
34. 1 st committee on Backward classes – Kelkar commission.
35. Babri Masjid demolition case – Liberhan commission.
36. Reservation of seats for Backward classes – Mandal commission.
37. Center-states relations – Sarkaria commission (First) M.M. Punchhi Commission (Second)
38. Advocates act – 1961.
39. 1st Indian state to be formed on Linguistic basis – Andhra Pradesh
40. First General elections took place – 1951
41. Setting a Supreme court was in Calcutta is a part of Regulating act, 1773
42. NJAC has been set up – 99th Amendment act (Collegium system restored)
43. Exchange of territories b/w India and Bangladesh – 100th amendment (w.e.f. May 2015 )
44. Anti Defection law is provided under – 10th Schedule.
45. Constituent assembly which framed the constitution for independent India was set up in 1946.
46. Original members in Constituent assembly – 389 Members.
47. Defamation – Both Tort & Crime
48. First hour of every sitting of Parliament is known as Question Hour.
49. 1st Speaker of Lok Sabha – G.V. Mavlankar
50. 1st India Governor General of Free India – C. Rajgopalachari
51. 1st Governor General of India – Lord Mountbatten
52. 1st Amendment came in 1951
53. Primary education was added to 93rd Amendment.
54. Child marriage Restraint Act, 2006 is applicable to all, irrespective of religions
55. Manager of Wakf is known as – Mutawalli.
56. A witness who is unable to speak gives his evidence by writing in open court – Oral evidence.
57. 1st Chairman of NHRC – J. Ranganath Mishra.
58. Ossification test is done to determine age.
59. Sedition is the crime of arousing hatred or contempt against GOI 60. An act done under the threat or fear is done under Duress.
61. In law, a man is presumed to be dead if he is not heard of as alive for 7 Years.
62. Chairman of First law Commission of India – M.C. Setalvad (1955).
63. Present chairman of 21st Law commission of India – J. Balbir Singh chauhan (2015-18) – Recommendation for reducing the age of marriage for Groom from 21 to 18 Years.
64. Present chairman of UPSC – David R. Syiemlieh (w.e.f 2nd Jan 2017).
65. Duration of Law commission – 3 Years.
66. Lex Loci – Law of Place.
67. In the year 2002, the competition act was enacted replacing MRTP Act 1969.
68. The disobedience of any judgment, order of a court amounts to Contempt of court.
69. Lok adalat camps were started at Junagarh District in Gujarat in 1982 and First Lok Adalat was held at Chennai in 1986.
70. The maximum amount of compensation when a person is groundlessly arrested – 1000/-.
71. Father of Jurisprudence – John Locke.
72. Vishaka V. State of Raj. – Supreme court issued guidelines on Sexual harassment of women at workplaces.
73. Goa comes under the jurisdiction of Mumbai High Court.
74. In an election, electioneering has to be stopped 48 Hrs. before starting the polling.
75. Power to decide an election petition vests with High Courts.
76. The examination of a witness by the adverse party is called Cross Examination.
77. 1st Attorney general of India – M.C. Setalvad
78. Present Attorney general of India – Mukul Rohtagi
79. 1 st Solicitor general of India – C.K. Daphtary
80. Present Solicitor general of India – Ranjit Kumar
81. After independence, the Supreme court of India came into existence in the year of 1950.
82. J. P.N. Bhagwati-Responsible for introduction of PIL in India.
83. A post dated cheque bears Future date.
84. SLP can be filed before the Supreme Court
85. Oldest code of law in India is Manusmriti.
86. Vinod Rai – Chairman of Banks Board Bureau (BBB).
87. 7th Pay Commission Chairman – J. A.K. Mathur.
88. 1st CIC – Wajahat Habibullah.
89. Present CIC (Chief Information Commissioner) – R.K. Mathur.
90. Pakistan Parliament became the World's first parliament to run fully on Solar Power.
91. J. Fazal Ali – First Supreme court judge who started chamber practice after retirement.
92. J. D.K. Jain - Wrote the lead judgment in 2G scam case 2012.
93. The constitutional (117th amendment) bill 2012 deals with Reservation in promotions.
94. E-Court project was launched on 9th July 2007 by President of India at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
95. Estonia Country – Recently introduced a law which allows to cast vote through mobile phones.
96. Calcutta High Court – Established first green bench in the country. Dishonour of a cheque – Compoundable offence.
98. Simultaneous civil & criminal proceedings are maintainable but result of one proceeding is not binding on another.
99. Cognizable offence – Arrest without warrant.
100. Supreme court or High court – authority to designate an advocate as Senior Advocate.
101. First chairman of BCI – M.C. Setalvad.
102. Present Chairman of BCI – Manan Kumar Mishra (Since Nov. 2014)
103. Members of CVC are appointed for the term of 4 Yrs or 65 Yrs. of age whichever is earlier.
104. Present CVC – Pardeep Kumar (IAS)
105. An Indian citizen with a wife & 2 Children marries a British girl in UK – He can be tried in India for bigamy on his return to India.
106. No fault liability – Absolute liability even without any negligence or fault
107. NHRC – Statutory body
108. Copyright subsists for 60 Yrs.
109. First model E-Court of country was launched at Ahmedabad by Gujarat High Court (Providing tamper proof authentic audio-video recording of proceedings with multi point video conferencing facilities linking the courtroom, central jail, the police commissioner office and the forensic science laboratory)
110. Inquest – Inquiry into the apparent cause of death.
111. Concept of PIL was originated in USA.
112. Legal Services day – 9th Nov.
113. ICJ was established in 1946.
114. ICJ judges are elected for 9 Yrs.
115. Registration of immovable property is required if value of property is more than 100/-
116. An offence punishable with imprisonment for a term exceeding 2 Yrs. is a Warrant Case
117. FIR can be quashed only by High Court
118. A foreigner committing an offence in India will be amenable to the Indian Law
119. Demand draft, cheque, pay orders & Bankers cheque are valid for 3 Months (w.e.f 01/04/2012)
120. In India UCC is applicable in the state of Goa (Single code governs all Goans, irrespective of religion, ethnicity or linguistic affiliation)
121. The duration of CAG of India – 6 Yrs or 65 Yrs. of age whichever is earlier
122. Present Director of CBI – Rakesh Asthana (Interim)
123. Present Governor of RBI – Dr. Urijit R. Patel (Incumbent).
124. Present CJI – Hon’ble J. Jagdish Singh Kehar (Present CJI Since Jan 2017).
125. Chairperson of National Judicial academy – Hon’ble J. Jagdish Singh Kehar (Present CJI Since Jan 2017)
126. First woman CM of state – Mrs. Sucheta Kriplani (U.P.)
127. First woman Governor of state – Mrs. Sarojini Naidu (U.P)
128. First woman to climb Mount Everest – Bachhendri Pal
129. 1st woman advocate – Cornelia Sorabjee
130. 1st British Governor General – Warren Hastings
131. 1st Viceroy of India – Lord Canning
132. 1st judge to face impeachment proceedings in Lok Sabha – J. V. Ramaswamy
133. Guardian of public purse – CAG
134. B.N. Rau – Constitutional advisor to constituent assembly.
135. Zonal Councils (Advisory or statutory bodies) – Five
136. 1st amendment – Added 9th Schedule to give legislation (Land reforms)
137. 42nd amendment 1976 – Mini Constitution
138. 1st Commercial courts was set up in Delhi (Mar. 25, 2016)
139. First two states established Panchayati Raj – Rajasthan & Andhra Pradesh in 1956.
140. Five Yr. Plan in India is finally approved by NDC (National Development Council).
141. Supreme court was set up by Regulating Act 1773.
142. 1st Indian state to go for internet voting – Gujarat (Apr. 2011).
143. Longest serving PM – Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru.
144. Fiduciary relationship is based on Trust (Eg. Doctor-Patient)
145. CBI was established in 1963
146. Ernest Barker – Preamble is the keystone to the constitution
147. Gram Panchayat is the lowest stage of Local govt.
148. Japan Parliament is known as Diet
149. Chairman of PAC of Parliament is appointed by President.
150. A person who is not a MP can be appointed as a minister by the president for a maximum period of 6 Months.
151. Judges and magistrates of civil courts are appointed by Governor.
152. In case the office of President of India falls vacant the same must be filed within 6 Months.
153. Senior most member of Lok Sabha – Presides over the Lok Sabha if neither the speaker nor the deputy speaker is available.
154. Distribution of powers b/w union and state have been borrowed from Canada.
155. Longest serving CM in India – Pawan Chamling (Sikkim – 5th consecutive term).
156. Public holidays are declared under Negotiable instruments act, 1881.
157. Indian Constitution as quasi- federal said by – K.C. Wheare.
158. Ashok Mehta committee – Panchayati Raj Institutions
159. Balwant rai Mehta committee – 3 Tier system
160. Leaving the opposition party to join ruling party or vice versa – Crossing the floor
161. A bill referred to joint sitting of parliament is to be passed by Simple majority.
162. The members of State public service commission can be removed by the President on report by the Supreme Court.
163. The members of Rajya Sabha are elected by Elected members of the Legislative assembly.
164. PM is the chairman of National water resource council.
165. J. LN Reddy committee was made to look into the anomalies that may arise into the implementation of OROP.
166. New chief of IAF – Air Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa.
167. New chief of Army staff – Lt. Gen. Bipin Rawat.
168. Current chief of Naval staff – Admiral Sunil Lamba.
169. New chief of RAW – Anil Dhasmana
170. New Director General of IB – Rajiv Jain
171. Miss World 2016 – Stephaine Del Valle of Puerto Rico
172. New Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu – O. Paneerselvam (After death of Jayalalitha)
173. 101 st constitutional amendment 2016 – GST (Introduced Art. 264A, 269A, 279A)
LIST OF COMMITTEES AND COMMISSIONS IN INDIA
♦ Committees in India
1. Butler Committee – Relation between Indian states & paramount power.
2. Hartog Committee – Growth of British India education-its effects
3. Muddiman Committee – Working of Diarchy as in Montague Chelmsford reforms
4. Malhotra Committee – Insurance Reforms
5. Janaki Ram Committee – Security Scam
6. Ajay Vikram Singh Committee – Faster promotions in Army
7. Rajinder Sachar Committee 1 – Companies and MRPT Act
8. Rajindar Sachar Committee 2 – Report on the social, economic and educational status of the Muslims of India.
9. Jyoti Basu Committee – Report on Octroi abolition.
10. Balwant Rai Mehta Committee – Recommendations on decentralization system
11. Sawant Committee – Enquiry on corruption, charges against ministers & Anna Hazare
12. Chelliah Committee – Eradicating black money
13. Wanchoo Committee – Tax enquiry
14. Bhanu Pratap Singh Committee – Agriculture
15. Agarwal Committee – Nepotism in granting petrol pump, LPG connections
16. Rangarajan Committee – Reforms in private sector
17. Naresh Chandra Committee – Corporate governance
18. Chakravarti Committee – Banking sector reforms
19. Rekhi Committee – Structure of indirect taxation
20. G.V.Ramakrishna Committee – Disinvestment in PSU shares
21. Kelkar Committee 1 – First committee on backward castes
22. P.C.Hotha Committee – Restructuring of civil services
23. Justice B.N.Kirpal Committee – 1st chairman National Forest Commission
24. Godbole Committee – Enron Power Project
25. J.C.Kumarappa Committee – Congress agrarian Reforms Committee
26. Swaminathan Committee – Population policy
27. Rangaraju Committee – Statistics
28. Wardha Committee – Inquiry on murder of Graham Staines
29. Vohra Committee – Criminalization of politics
30. Kelkar Committee 2 – Direct-Indirect Taxes
31. Alagh Committee – Civil Service Examinations
32. Abid Hussain Committee – Recommendations on Small scale industries
33. Narasimham Committee – Banking sector reforms
34. Chelliah Committee – Tax reforms
35. Mashelkar Committee – National Auto Fuel Policy
36. Boothalingam Committee – Recommendations on integrated wages, income and price policy.
37. Omkar Goswami Committee Industrial sickness
38. Yashpal Committee – Review of School Education system
39. Ram Nandan Prasad Committee – Constitution of creamy layers among Backward Castes.
40. Kelkar Committee 3 – Enquiry on Kargil defense deals.
41. Saharya Committee – Tehelka tapes
42. J. Narasimha committee – OROP (One rank one pension)
♦ List of Commissions
1. U.C.Benerjee Commission – Enquiry into Godhra carnage (Railways)
2. Nanavati-Shah – commission Posy Godhra riots
3. Palekar Tribunal – Journalist pays reforms
4. Hunter Commission – Jallianwalabagh massacre
5. Nanavati Commission – 1984 Sikh riots
6. Mukherjee Commission – Death/Disappearance of Subhash Chandra Bose
7. Librehan Commission – Babri Masjid demolition case
8. Sarkaria Commission – Centre-State relations
9. Sri Krishna Commission – 1992 Bombay riots
10. Thakkar Commission – Indira Gandhi assassination case
11. Phukhan Commission – Tehelka tapes
12. Malimath Commission – Criminal Justice
13. Upendra Commission – Inquiry on rape and murder Thangjam Manorama Devi
14. G.C.Garg Commission – Train accident near Khanna, Punjab
15. Mandal Commission – Reservation of seats for Backward castes
16. Kothari Commission – Educational reforms