Page No 17
Question 1: Learn New Words
A) Market: a place for purchase and sale of commodities
1) We went to market to buy vegetables.
2) I met a friend in market.
B) Bother: to worry
1) You do not have to bother about my homework.
2) My younger sister bothers me a lot.
C) Problem: difficulty
1) I have a problem with my neighbor.
2) This problem is difficult to solve.
D) Dress: put on one’s clothes
1) My dress is blue in colour.
2) Everyone in the party complimented my dress.
E) Upset: unhappy
1) She was upset about going back to school.
2) The scolding from her father upset her.
F) Remove: to get rid of
1) Remove the books from my desk.
2) He finally removed my name from the list.
G) Wedding: a marriage ceremony
1) You cannot miss my wedding in the month of December.
2) I met my best friend in a wedding.
H) Lovely: very beautiful
1) She was wearing a lovely dress.
2) It is a lovely way of spending the summer evening.
I) Plump: chubby
1) The fruit berries were plump.
2) I met a plump lady on the street.
Reading is Fun
(a) Why was there great joy in Nina’s house?
(b) Why was Nina worried?
(c) What did mother suggest?
(d) What did Nina find when she came back from the wedding?
(a) There was great joy in Nina’s house, as Nina’s aunt was getting married.
(b) Nina was worried about the baby sparrows in the nest that would be left hungry if no one remained at home on the day of the wedding.
(c) The mother suggested that the window will be left open, so that mama and papa sparrows can feed their baby sparrows in the nest.
(d) Nina found two plump little sparrows flying all over the room.
Page No 18
(a) How do baby sparrows eat?
(b) What new things would you like to wear for a wedding? You can say “I would like to wear…”
I would also like to wear_____________ .
(a) Baby sparrows eat every half an hour and they eat very little.
(b) I would like to wear a long white frock. I would also like to wear a crown with pearls on it.
Disclaimer: These are sample answers. Students are advised to write the answers based on their on their own experience and observation.
Question 2: Number the jumbled picture story correctly. Then write the story in proper order.
Write the story here.
(1) Nina is sad when her mother asks her about the colour of the dress she woukd like to wear.
(2) Mother asks Nina about why she was sad.
(3) Nina is worried, as she does not want to leave the baby sparrows alone at home.
(4) Mother comes up with a bright idea and tells Nina that she will leave the window open before going to the wedding, so as mama and papa sparrows can feed their baby sparrows.
Page No 19
Question 1: Would you like to have birds visiting you everyday?
Activity − Let’s make a Bird
Things you need
(a) Make an outline of the bird on a greeting card and cut it out.
(b) Cut a small square from an old newspaper and fold it to make a fan. Keep the fan closed.
(c) Pass the folded fan through the cut on the bird’s back and now open the folds of the fan.
(d) Make the eye by sticking a bindi.
(e) Paste a string or old shoe lace to hang the bird.
Answer: Yes, I would like to have birds visiting me everyday.
Disclaimer: This is a creative activity to be done along with your friends at home.
Page No 21
Question 1: Write down suitable words describing each picture. Pick up the words from the list given below:
Now describe these pictures in your own language.
A fat woman
A red rose
A happy boy
A beautiful peacock
A black board
A tall man
Answer: try it yourself