A.1 Verbs into nouns:
Complete the following chart by filling in the blanks with either the verb or the noun forms. One example has been done for you.
|7||TO BE ABLE||ABILITY|
A.2 Study the cartoons below:
What are the people trying to say? Study the first example and then complete the rest of the sentences using the same pattern.
1. They are protesting against cutting down of trees.
2. They are demanding -------------------------------.
3. The boss insists on everyone ------------.
4. They are worried about ---------------
5. The women are demanding safer --------------.
6. They want the Government to put a ban on --------.
1. They are protesting against cutting down of trees.
2. They are demanding reduction in/of working hours.
3. The boss insists on everyone reporting to office on time.
4. They are worried about losing their jobs.
5. The women are demanding safer working conditions/environment.
6. They want the Government to put a ban on poaching animals.
A.3: Combine the following sentences by nominalising the first verb. The first sentence has been done as an example.
1. Trees were planted along road sides .This made the surroundings look greener. Planting of trees along the road sides made the surroundings look greener.
Ans. Planting of trees along the road sides made the surroundings look greener
2. The bomb exploded. This shattered the window panes. The window panes were shattered due to __________
Ans. The window panes were shattered due to the explosion of the bomb.
3. The committee must approve our plan. We cannot launch our project till then. We ____________ till we get the ________of the committee for our plan.
Ans. We cannot launch our project till we get the approval of the committee for our plan.
4. There has been a rise in crime rate in the last two years. The police are very concerned. The police _________ about the ______years.
Ans. The police are concerned about the rising crime rate in last two/rise in crime rat in last two years.
5. Thousands of people participated in the charity walk .This helped Cancer Aid Society to raise funds for treatment of cancer patients. ______ helped Cancer Aid Society raise funds for treatment of cancer patients.
Ans. Participation of thousands of people in the charity walk helped Cancer Aid Society raise funds for treatment of cancer patients.
6. The number of young people consuming drugs is growing .This has become an issue of social concern. _______ by a growing________ concern.
Ans. Consuming drugs by a growing number of young people has become an issue of social concern.
7. The eye witness described the accident scene vividly. This helped the police find the culprit The vivid __________.
Ans. The vivid description of the accident scene helped the police find the culprit.
8. Vinod presented his project very effectively. He was able to bag the multimillion dollar order Vinod's effective _________ helped him ___________.
Ans. Vinod's effective presentation of his project helped him (in bagging/bag) the multimillion dollar order.
9. Mandela had spearheaded the fight against apartheid. He was convicted for this. Mandela was convicted for _________.
Ans. Mandela was convicted for spearheading the fight against apartheid.
10. He committed a series of cold blooded murders. He was awarded the death penalty. He was _______.
Ans. He was awarded the death penalty for committing a series of cold blooded murders.
A.4. Read the following extract from a Newspaper.
RECOVERY OF ANCIENT SHIP
An ancient ship, over 500 years old, has been recovered off the coast of Kerala. Salvage experts say…
Given below are some extracts from Newspapers. Underline the most important verb .Then use the noun form of that verb to create a headline, as shown above.
1. Four more new escalators have been installed in the new Mall. People are very happy. ___
Ans. INSTALLATION OF NEW ESCALATORS IN NEW MALL
2. The outstanding contribution to Indian film making by Ranjit Say was recognized tonight by the Bombay Film Institute.____
Ans. RECOGNITION OF INDIAN FILM MAKER RANJIT SAY
3. The Government has decided to set up a night safari at Noida. This will make this city very popular as more and more tourists…___
Ans. DECISION TO SET UP NIGHT SAFARI AT NOIDA
4. His lost brother suddenly appeared after five years. This solved one of the greatest mysteries.____
Ans. SUDDEN APPEARANCE OF LOST BROTHER
5. Professors are protesting pay cuts at the university. Students suffer as professors stay…_____
Ans. PROTEST BY PROFESSORS AGAINST PAY CUTS
A.5: Fill in the blanks with the noun forms of the verbs given in brackets.
Hema: Recently I read an article about the ___________ (improve) taking place in the health services.
Neena: When people get proper health care, it is bound to increase their life _________(expect).
Hema: Of course doctors have to show greater __________(dedicate) to their profession, particularly by ______ (bestow) greater ___________ (attend) on the rural areas.
Neena: I agree. But, at the same time the government should also make adequate ______ (provide) for decent living conditions for the doctors serving in villages.
Hema: Besides sending doctors to rural areas, steps should be taken for the ________ (supply) of standard drugs to primary health centres. _____________ (contaminate) of intravenous fluids and even vaccines due to non ___________ (available) of __________ (refrigerate) facilities continues to pose a severe threat to people.
Neena: Besides health, we should also address the needs of people in _________ (educate) and ___________ (employ). Only then can we achieve substantial ___________ (develop) of the human resource.
Hema: Recently I read an article about the improvement (improve) taking place in the health services.
Neena: When people get proper health care, it is bound to increase their lifeexpectancy/expectation (expect).
(◉ Note: Here expectancy is a better term than expectation. 'expectancy' means state of hopefulness, while 'expectation' refers to 'likely to happen')
Hema: Of course doctors have to show greater dedication (dedicate) to their profession, particularly by bestowing (bestow) greater attention (attend) on the rural areas.
Neena: I agree. But, at the same time the government should also make adequate provision (provide) for decent living conditions for the doctors serving in villages.
Hema: Besides sending doctors to rural areas, steps should be taken for the supplies(supply) of standard drugs to primary health centres. Contamination (contaminate) of intravenous fluids and even vaccines due to non availability (available) of refrigeration(refrigerate) facilities continues to pose a severe threat to people.
Neena: Besides health, we should also address the needs of people in education(educate) and employment (employ).
Only then can we achieve substantial development(develop) of the human resource.
Now write five sentences about the jobs you like doing or do not like doing.
B: Adjectives into Nouns:
B.1: Combine the following pairs of sentences by changing the adjective to a noun.
1. He was honest. The Principal commended him at the assembly.
Ans. His honesty was commended by the Principal at the assembly.
The Principal commended him for his honesty at the assembly.
His honesty made the Principal commend him at the assembly.
2. Rajesh is a very amiable person. It has endeared him to his colleagues.
Ans. Rajesh's amiability has endeared him to his colleagues.
3. The actor was famous. It got him many endorsements.
Ans. The actor's fame got him many endorsements.
4. The young businessman was extravagant. It led to his downfall.
Ans. The young businessman's extravagance led to his downfall.
5. James was silent during the enquiry. It did not help the police in bringing the culprit to book.
Ans. James' silence during the enquiry did not help the police in bringing the culprit to book.
B.2: Fill in the blanks in the table below. Then check your answers in a dictionary.
C.4 Sentence reordering:
Reorder the following words and phrases to make meaningful sentences.
1. the / polluting/ sponge iron industry/is a heavily/ industry.
Ans. The sponge iron industry is a heavily polluting industry.
2. of the match/ the umpires'/ very good/ was/ handing
Ans. The umpires' handing of the match was very good.
3. bad manners/ interrupting/ when he is / someone/talking / is
Ans. Interrupting someone when he is talking is bad manners.
4. acting / one and all/ his / by/was praised.
Ans. His acting was praised by one and all.
5. she/has decided/is so obsessed/not to join/with dancing/that she/any college.
Ans. She is so obsessed with dancing that she has decided not to join any college.
6. to live/in peace/forgiving/of others/and forgetting/best way/is the/the wrongs
Ans. Forgiving and forgetting the wrongs of others is the best way to live in peace.
7. accolades/Sachin's/batting/one and all/has won him/from
Ans. Sachin's batting has won him accolades from one and all.
8. playing havoc with /allowing the/to continue operations/polluting industries /in the cities / the health of the citizens/ will mean.
Ans. Allowing the polluting industries to continue operations in the cities will mean playing havoc with the health of the citizens.
9. news of rigging/the world of science/of climate change/took/by storm/the
Ans. The news of rigging of climate change took the world of science by storm.
10. only by ensuring that/strengthen/an ordinary man's voice is heard/can we/the processes of democracy
Ans. Only by ensuring that an ordinary man's voice is heard can we strengthen the processes of democracy.
D. Nominalisation -Summary
D.2 Complete the following sentences by filling the blanks with a word /words from the box.
resolutions, applause, devotion, burning of fossil fuels, probation
1. The ________________ is harmful for the environment.
2. Sachin's magnificent batting drew a lusty__________ from the spectators.
3. It is ___________ to work which motivates one to do different things.
4. I am guilty of making ___________ each new year which I let go easily.
5. Mahatma Gandhi served on __________ for a period of one year before becoming the member of the Servants of India Society.
1. burning of fossil fuels
D.3: Complete the following paragraph by filling in the blanks with the most appropriate words given.
Scientists all over the world are trying to invent newer ways for (1)________ of energy without harming the environment. In Netherlands a team of scientists is researching into (2)________ the waters of the North Sea to generate enough energy for thousands of homes.
The experiment involves (3)________ a battery ,using salt and fresh water streams and channelizing them over stacks of membranes .The salt water contains positively charged sodium ions and negatively charged chloride ions . Electrodes were set up to create a battery which would generate power.
Through this research the Dutch are aiming at setting up a 200 mW power plant which will generate enough power to cater for three provinces. Blue Water energy will be 30-40% more efficient than burning coal. It is also (4)_____________ and (5)____________
Scientists in other parts of the world are also busy finding ways and means to generate energy . The (6)____________ of a childhood pastime of flying kites gave the senior scientists of Delhi University a brilliant idea. They felt that this simple childhood game could be used to provide some kind of breakthrough .
By (7)____________ a few kites tethered to a generator, this team realized that they could produce 10 KW of power. This was sufficient to power 10 family homes .The researchers now plan to carry this (8)__________ further . Using multiple kites, they plan to generate 50 KW of power . They call this invention, Laddermill.