Page No 23:
Question 1: Learn New Words
A) Hidden: kept out of sight Example sentences:
1) There were hidden cameras in the room.
2) The book was hidden by the television.
B) Slowly: at a slow speed Example sentences:
1) I was walking slowly in the park.
2) They slowly moved towards the gate.
C) Downward: towards a lower place Example sentences:
1) He was lying his face downward while watching the movie.
2) I saw the airplane coming downward.
D) Slender: very thin Example sentences:
1) He has a slender neck.
2) The slender man asked me to move forward.
E) Mighty: powerful Example sentences:
1) The mighty king asked his servants to serve him food.
2) The mighty woman came to fight with the crowd.
F) Branches: part of a tree Example sentences:
1) The branches of a banyan tree are very strong.
2) I was hanging on the branches of a tree.
G) Pride: to be proud of something Example sentences:
1) The children’s parents glowed with pride.
2) He swallowed his pride and asked for help.
H) Improving: to become better Example sentences:
1) I am improving my mathematical skills.
2) The child care system in India is improving.
I) Sipped: to drink something in small quantity Example sentences:
1) He sipped coffee along with his friend.
2) I sipped red wine in the church.
J) Shoot: to kill with a bullet or an arrow Example sentences:
1) Don’t shoot on his head.
2) We should not shoot animals for fun.
Page No 24:
1) An acorn grows into an oak tree.
2) A seed needs water, air and sunshine to grow.
3) There are three describing words in the poem. They are tiny, slender and mighty.
Question 2: Look at the two pictures. Find four things that are different about these trees and talk about them.
Picture 1 I give you all this
Picture 2 What do you give me?
1) I give you fruits like mangoes, apples and guava.
2) I also give honey.
3) There is a nest where the mama and papa sparrows feed their baby sparrows.
1) Human beings cut the bark of my trees and use it for making tyres and rubbers.
2) Not a single bird comes to sit on my branches, as they get cut by the human beings.
3) People burn my bark and branches and pollute the environment.
Question 3: Look at Picture 1.
Write three sentences on what the trees give us.
Now look at Picture 2.
Write three sentences on how we harm the trees.
Match the opposites. One has been done for you.
1) Trees give us fruits like mangoes, apples and guava.
2) Trees also give us honey.
3) Tress give us fresh oxygen to breathe.
1) We harm trees by cutting their barks for making rubbers and tyres.
2) We harm trees by cutting their branches because of which the birds’ nests get destroyed.
3) We pollute the environment by burning the leaves of the trees.