UPSC : State Public Service Commission Notes | EduRev
All you need of UPSC at this link: UPSC
- State Public Service Commissions in the States are parallel to the Union Public Service Commission at the Centre.
- The same set of Articles 315 to 323 in Part XIV deal with the SPSC.
Composition & Removal
- Consists of a Chairman & other members appointed by the Governor.
- Strength of the commission is left to the discretion of the Governor.
- Half of the members of the commission must have served in the Central or State Govt for 10 years.
- Governor determines the conditions of service of the chairman & members.
- Chairman & Members hold office for a period of 6 years or till the age of 62 whichever is earlier.
- Acting Chairman can be appointed when chair falls vacant or is incapable.
- Chairman and members can only be removed by the President in the same manner as the Chairman and members of the UPSC.
Independence & Functions
- Constitution has made following provisions to Safeguard SPSC :
≫ Can only be removed by Prez on grounds mentioned in Const.
≫ Conditions of Office cannot varied to disadvantage.
≫ Entire expense of SPSC is charged on Consolidated Fund of State.
≫ Chairman after retirement is eligible to join any other public services commission or UPSC but no other employment.
≫ Members are eligible to Join other PSCs or UPSC but no other employment.
≫ Chairman or members are not eligible for a second term in office.
- SPSC performs all functions in State that UPSC does at Centre like conducting exams for appointment to State services. Giving advice on various matters related to personnel management including disciplinary action promotion, transfer, etc.
- SC ruled that consultation with SPSC is not mandatory for Govt.
Joint State Public Service Commission
- Constitution makes a provision for Joint State Public Service Commissions for 2 or more States.
- JSPSCs can be created through Acts of Parliament on the request of State Legislatures. Thus they are statutory & not Constitutional bodies.
- Chairman & members of JSPSC are appointed by Prez.
- They hold office for a term of 6 years or until the age of 62,whichever is earlier.
- They can be suspended or removed by President.
- Strength of JSPSC and the service conditions of the members is decided by the President.