1. Which was the inaugural film of Kolkata International Film Festival 2021 ______ Apur Sansar.
➢ Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan, the brand ambassador of West Bengal virtually attended the inaugural ceremony from Mumbai.
➢ As a part of the 26th KIFF, 81 full length movies and 50 short films and documentaries from more than 45 countries will be screened at 8 venues which include the state run halls, Nandan, Rabindra Sadan, Calcutta Information centre, Sisir Mancha and others.
➢ “Apur Sansar” by Satyajit Ray was screened as the inaugural film.
2. What is India’s rank in the list of 500 most valuable companies across the world ______ 10th.
➢ The total value of these 11 companies grew 14 per cent and has been pegged at $805 billion or nearly a third of the Indian GDP.
➢ All these companies in the list of non-state enterprises have gained in value during 2020, which was hit by the pandemic, barring tobacco major ITC and second largest private sector lender ICICI Bank, as per the Hurun Global 500 report.
3. Which ministry has launched a month-long mass awareness campaign 'SAKSHAM' to spread awareness about green and clean energy ______ Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
➢ The pan-India campaign will focus on the adoption of cleaner fuels.
➢ They include moving towards a gas-based economy, cleaner use of fossil fuels, greater reliance on domestic sources to drive biofuels and increased use of electric vehicles.
4. Prarambh: Startup India International Summit 2021 was held in which city ______ New Delhi.
➢ The Summit is being organizing by Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, M/o Commerce & Industry, as a follow up of the announcement made by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi at the 4th BIM
➢ 6STEC Summit held in Kathmandu in August, 2018.
➢ Declaring the Summit open, the Minister of Railways, Commerce and Industry, Consumer Affairs and Food and Public Distribution Shri Piyush Goyal said that the Summit is a demonstration of neighbourhood first policy which will booster partnership among the member countries.
5. Who unveiled India’s first indigenously designed and developed ‘Driverless Metro Car’ manufactured by Bharat Earth Movers Limited ______ Rajnath Singh.
➢ The ‘Driverless Metro Car’ are being manufactured by BEML for Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) MRS1 project.
➢ The project needs 576 cars which will be supplied by January 2024.
➢ In this regard, BEML recently opened its Depot office at Charkop Metro Depot, MMRDA, Mumbai for commissioning, testing and round-the- clock services for Driverless Metro cars.
6. What is the total outlay of the Third Phase of Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY 3.0) 2020-21 aims to provide training to around 8 Lakh candidates ______ 948.90 crore.
➢ The PMKVY 3.0 has been designed based on the learnings from the previous 2 editions PMKVY 1.0 (2015-16) & PMKVY 2.0 (2016-2020).
➢ PMKVY 3.0 aims to provide training to around 8 Lakh candidates during the period of 2020-21 with an outlay of INR 948.90 Crore.
➢ It will be implemented by the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE) and will focus on demanddriven skill development, digital technology & Industry 4.0 skills.
7. According to a report by the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), India Collected what per cent of e-waste generated in 2018-19 ______ 10%.
➢ In 2017-18, India generated 7, 08, 445 Tonnes of which only 3.5% was collected.
➢ Further the amount of e-waste generated increased by 32% to 1, 014, 961 tonnes in 2019-20.
➢ In September, 2020, CPCB had issued show-cause notices to 186 producers for not meeting collection targets for 2018-19.
8. Which ministry has received the SKOCH Challenger Award under “Transparency in Governance” category for IT-led initiatives and transformational reforms ______ Ministry of Panchayati Raj.
➢ Ministry of Panchayati Raj received the SKOCH Challenger Award conferred under “Transparency in Governance” category for IT-led initiatives and transformational reforms leading to outcome-based performance improvement, better transparency and strengthening of the e-Governance in Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs) across the country.
➢ The SKOCH Challenger Award for best performance in the area of Transparency in Governance was given virtually during the 70th SKOCH Summit.
9. The Indian Farm Forestry Development Co-operative Ltd (IFFDC) entered into an MoU with which entity to work together for tribal livelihood generation ______ TRIFED.
➢ The two organizations have agreed to partner with each other to organise training programmes for tribal artisans in the area of entrepreneurship skill and business development.
➢ They will also collaborate further to identify and implement Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives and tribal development efforts.
10. Which organization releases the India Innovation Index on the line Global Innovation Index ______ NITI Aayog.
➢ The India Innovation Index-2020 seeks to rank the States and Union Territories based on their relative performance of supporting innovation and to empower them to improve their innovation policies by highlighting their strengths and weaknesses.
➢ The ranking methodology is designed in a way that states can draw lessons from the national leaders in innovation.
➢ The States and Union Territories have been divided into 17 Major States, 10 North-East and Hill States, and nine City States and Union Territories, for effectively comparing their performance.
➢ The States and Union Territories have been ranked on two broad categories: outcome and governance
11. What is India’s rank in the “Global Firepower Index 2021” that ranks the countries based on their potential military strength ______ 4th.
➢ Each country is evaluated on a multitude of factors related to a prolonged offensive or defensive military campaign.
➢ USA topped the Index with 904 attack helicopters and eleven aircraft carriers and sixty-eight submarines and 40,000 armoured fighting vehicles.
➢ USA was followed by Russia with 189 fighter aircrafts and 538 attack helicopters.
➢ China ranked at third place with 1,200 combat aircrafts and 327 attack helicopters and seventy-nine submarines.
12. Who was the chairman of the 10-member task force set up by the Union Govt to evaluate the marriageable age of girls which has submitted its recommendations to the Prime Minister's Office and the Women and Child Development Ministry ______ Jaya Jaitley.
➢ The Committee has sent its recommendations to the Prime Minister's Office and the Women and Child Development Ministry.
➢ The committee was tasked with examining the correlation of age of marriage and motherhood with health, medical well-being and nutritional status of mother and neonate/infant/child, during pregnancy, birth and thereafter, key parameters like Infant Mortality Rate (IMR), Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR), Total Fertility Rate (TFR), Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB), Child Sex Ratio (CSR) etc.
13. In collaboration with which company the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) will establish a Quantum Computing Applications Lab in the country ______ Amazon Web Services (AWS).
➢ The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) in collaboration with Amazon Web Services (AWS) will establish a Quantum Computing Applications Lab in the country, to accelerate quantum computing-led research and development (R&D) and enable new scientific discoveries.
➢ The MeitY Quantum Computing Applications Lab will provide quantum computing as a service to government ministries and departments, researchers, scientists, academia, and developers, to enable advances in areas such as manufacturing, healthcare, agriculture, and aerospace engineering.
14. The Global Risk Report is published by which of the following organizations ______ World Economic Forum.
➢ The findings of the report are based on the Global Risks Perception Survey (GRPS) undertaken by over 650 members of WEF’s diverse leadership communities.
➢ The Report is prepared with Strategic Partners, Marsh McLennan in Partnership with SK Group and Zurich Insurance Group.
➢ The report is being released before WEF’s upcoming virtual Davos Agenda scheduled to be held between January 25-29, 2021.
15. The 1st India-EU IPR dialogue 2021 was held virtually between European Union (EU) Commission and which department of Government of India to discuss key Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) issues affecting businesses ______ DPIIT.
➢ The dialogue saw the exchange of information in specific areas of IP.
➢ Indian side gave a general review on the IPR developments inclined with National IPR policy 2016 which resulted in legislative reforms to stimulate innovation and creativity among start-ups and MSMEs (Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises).
16. The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH) signed an MoU with which organization to boost collaboration in the field of technical exchange & cooperation on sustainable Geo-hazard management ______ DRDO.
➢ This initiative will ensure safety of road users on NHs in the country against the adverse effects of landslides and other natural calamities.
1. Which state/Union territories signed an MoU with the North East Cane and Bamboo Development Council to promote Bamboo Cultivation and related entrepreneurship in the region ______ Jammu & Kashmir.
➢ The North East Cane and Bamboo Development Council (NECBDC) will provide technical guidance in cultivating various species of Bamboo in the region.
➢ This will promote development of Bamboo based industries in Jammu & Kashmir leading to exports of bamboo based products.
➢ The MoU was in line with the Prime Minister’s vision to encourage tree plantation on farm land “Har Medh Par Ped” mission.
2. India’s first ‘Fire Park’ was inaugurated in which state and also a virtual platform ‘Agnishama Seva’ has been launched ______ Odisha.
➢ On that occasion CM Patnaik also launched the virtual platform ‘Agnishama Seva’ to provide through which 16 fire related services can be availed.
➢ The Fire Park is a first of its kind initiative to provide awareness on fire safety measures, mainly focusing on School and College students.
➢ It is located under the premises of the Odisha Fire and Disaster Academy in Bhubaneswar.
3. India’s first Labour Movement Museum, showcasing the history of world labour movement, will be launched in which state ______ Kerala.
➢ The museum will feature a huge repository of documents and exhibits that shaped the labour movements across the continents and impacted Alappuzha, the cradle of the labour movement in the country, in particular and Kerala in general.
➢ Located alongside the Port and Coir museums displaying the town's rich maritime heritage, the Labour Movement Museum, the first such window in the country on the class struggle and spirited fight of workers, is part of a larger project that will also be of tourist appeal.
4. The Madya Pradesh state government has signed a memorandum of understanding with which state to for replicating the latter’s pioneering Responsible Tourism (RT) initiative ______ Kerala.
➢ The States signed a joint declaration under which Kerala will extend a series of services under a 16-point programme.
➢ The MoU was exchanged by Tourism Minister Kadakampally Surendran and his Madhya Pradesh counterpart Usha Thakur.
➢ As part of the agreement, Kerala will provide a series of services under a 16-point programme.
5. Which state government has inaugurated India’s 1st air taxi service under Regional Connectivity Scheme – Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik (RCS-UDAN) of Govt of India ______ Haryana.
➢ As part of the inauguration, Haryana CM flagged off the 1st flight from Chandigarh under the scheme.
➢ It is the 1st time in India a small aircraft is being used for services in form of an air taxi
➢ The airline Aviation Connectivity & Infrastructure Developers Pvt. Ltd (Air Taxi) will operate the air taxi services and has become the 1st startup airline of India to assist India with this service.
6. Mahananda wildlife sanctuary located in which state where the First Mahananda Bird Festival will be organized in February 2021 ______ West Bengal.
➢ The Darjeeling Wildlife Division will be organising the 1st Mahananda Bird Festival from February 20 to 23.
➢ The participants will be taken to the popular birding spots such as Rongdong and Latpanchor, besides other birding trails within the forests.
➢ Visitors will be able to witness the diverse landscapes of rivers, plains, forests and hills during the festival.
7. A geographical indication (GI) tag has been sought for one of the costliest mushrooms in the world that grows in ______ Jammu and Kashmir.
➢ Locally called Gucchi, or Morel, the mushroom, priced at over ₹20,000 a kg, is a forest produce collected by local farmers and tribals. Last June, saffron from the State had been granted a GI tag.
➢ The GI tag application for Gucchi mushroom was filed at the Geographical Indication Registry recently by Jammubased NGO Border World Foundation and facilitated by the Director of Agriculture, J&K.
8. Which state government has announced to increase the number of days under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) from 100 to 150 ______ Uttarakhand.
➢ government will increase the number of working days from 100 to 150 under MGNREGA and the entire cost will be borne by the state government.
➢ This decision was taken during a meeting of the State Employment Guarantee Council.
➢ NREGA was first proposed in 1991 by former Prime Minister PV Narasimha Rao. Passed in Parliament in 2008, it aims to provide 100 days of wage employment to enhance livelihood security in rural areas.
9. Which state finds the top position in the India Innovation Index 2020 released by the NITI Aayog ______ Karnataka.
➢ In the India Innovation Index-2020, the States and Union Territories have been divided into 17 Major States, 10 North-East and Hill States and nine Union Territories and Small States for effectively comparing their performance.
➢ In the 2020 ranking, Karnataka retained its first position in the Major States category. Maharashtra moved one position higher and stood at 2nd spot while Tamil Nadu slid to 3rd position.
10. Women Entrepreneurship Hub (WE Hub) of Telangana Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with ‘I-Hub’ (Independent Hub) of which state to enable & support startups by women to raise capital in various focus sectors ______ Gujarat.
➢ The partnership will not only benefit women entrepreneurs from Telangana & Gujarat but also others from all over India.
➢ WE Hub is India’s 1st state-led Incubator exclusively for women entrepreneurs, it was established in 2017.
➢ The MoU was signed by Jayesh Ranjan, Telangana IT & Industry Principal Secretary & Anju Sharma, Gujarat Higher and Technical Education Principal Secretary.
11. Which becomes the first state to give electricity subsidy through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) ______ Madhya Pradesh.
➢ With this, it has fulfilled a power reform condition as proposed by the Centre and thus eligible for additional borrowing.
➢ The scheme has been implemented in Vidisha district of the State, where electricity is bring supplied through the MP Madhya Kshetra Vidyut Vitaran Co Ltd with effect from December 2020.
➢ Under the scheme, an amount of ₹32.07 crore was transferred to the bank accounts of 60,081 beneficiaries in December.
12. The BSE has signed an MoU with which state government to create awareness about the benefits of listing among Small & Medium scale Enterprises of the state ______ Maharshtra.
➢ In this regard, BSE has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the government of Maharashtra.
➢ This MoU will help the micro, small and medium industries in the state to get registered in the capital market and raise capital from the public capital market.
➢ BSE will also provide technical support to all the MSME industries in Maharashtra.
13. Which state government has announced for the for the formation of ‘Mukhyamantri Bagayat Vikas Mission’ to accelerate agriculture, horticulture and promote farming of herbal plants ______ Gujarat.
➢ The aim is to accelerate agriculture, horticulture and promote farming of herbal plants.
➢ It will also create employment opportunities through an increase in the export of such products.
➢ Under this mission, the waste land of the government (around 20000 hectare) will be given on 30-year lease for farming of horticulture and medicinal crops.
14. The NASSCOM has partnered with which state’s Artificial Intelligence Mission to launch an Innovation Factory to identify and promote innovative artificial intelligence solutions to address challenges in agricultural sector ______ Telangana.
➢ They have announced an ‘innovation challenge’ for start-ups, inviting ideas that can make the lives of farmers easier by helping them increase incomes.
➢ The winner will get a chance to win a prize money of ₹1 lakh, while the runner-up will get ₹50,000.
1. The National Institute of Oceanography and National Geophysical Research Institute virtually signed an MoU with which country in the field of Marine Sciences and Technology ______ Russia.
➢ The POI is the largest research institution in the Far Eastern Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences comprising 31 research units equipped with modern scale devices.
➢ Whereas, CSIR-NIO and CSIR-NGRI, the constituent research laboratories of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) are world renowned Institutes in the fields of Oceanography and Earth Sciences respectively.
2. India has signed an MoU with which country to enhance cooperation in the field of Information and Communications Technology & standardization of 5G ______ Japan.
➢ The MoU was signed by Minister for Communications, Electronics and IT Ravi Shankar Prasad and the Japanese Minister for Internal Affairs and Communications Takeda Ryota.
➢ It was exchanged through a video conference today.
➢ The Department of Telecom and Japan's Ministry of Communications will enhance mutual cooperation in the field of 5G technologies, telecom security, submarine optical fiber cable system to islands of India, spectrum management, smart cities, high altitude platform for broadband in unconnected areas, disaster management and public safety etc.
3. According to the ‘International Migration 2020’ report released by the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA) which country had the world’s largest transnational community in 2020 ______ India.
➢ The United Arab Emirates (3.5 Million), the United States of America (2.7 Million) and Saudi Arabia (2.5 Million) host the largest numbers of migrants from India.
➢ At the Global level, the number of International Migrants living outside their country of birth reached 281 Million in 2020. International Migrants represent about 3.6% of the World’s population.
➢ The Growth of International Migration has slowed by 27% or 2 Million due to COVID-19.
4. With which country India has signed a Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) on a basic partnership framework for operation of the ‘specified skilled worker’ (SSW) system ______ Japan.
➢ SSW is a new status of residence created in Japan in April, 2019, to accept foreign nationals who have a certain level of expertise and skill.
➢ Indian nationals with certain professional and language skills will be eligible to work under the SSW system.
➢ There are 14 specified industry fields that fall under SSW and workers and professionals in those sectors could be eligible.
5. Mountaineers of which country makes history by becoming the first to scale in winter the world's second highest mountain K2 ______ Nepal.
➢ considered as the world's most dangerous and challenging peak located in Gilgit-Baltistan side of Karakoram range.
➢ The achievement was the result of a collaborative effort between the climbers affiliated with multiple teams: one led by Nirmal Purja and the other by Mingma Gyalje Sherpa.
➢ It was the only one among 8,000-meter high peaks that was never scaled in winter.
6. Which country unveiled new laws to protect England's cultural and historic heritage in the form of statues and monuments ______ United Kingdom.
➢ This was done to ensure that they are not removed at a whim.
➢ The move comes in the wake of Black Lives Matter protests in the country last year targeting several historic monuments, including with graffiti on Mahatma Gandhi's statue in Parliament Square in London.
1. Who has been honoured by the Hindi Writers Guild, Canada for his literary work ______ Ramesh Pokhriyal 'Nishank'.
➢ Nishank was conferred with the "Sahitya Gaurav Samman" in the presence of the Governor through a virtual programme.
➢ India's High Commissioner in Canada Ajay Bisaria was also present on the occasion.
2. Who has been conferred with Quaide Milleth Awards 2021 ______ Bilkis dadi.
➢ Dadi was the face of the Shaheen Bagh anti-CAA protests.
➢ Both were awarded for Probity in Political and Public Life at the India Islamic Cultural Centre, New Delhi.
➢ The award consists of a shawl, citation and cash of ₹2.5 lakh.
3. Who has been chosen for 'Press Club Person of the Year' given by the Press Club of Bangalore ______ Azim Premji.
➢ The founder chairman of Narayana Health Dr Devi Prasad Shetty and actor-Director Sudeep Sanjeev have been selected for the 'Press Club Special Award.
➢ Besides them 25 senior journalists have been selected for the 'Press Club Annual Awards'.
➢ Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa will facilitate the awardees at a function scheduled for the third week of February.
4. Who has been conferred with ‘Indian Personality of the Year’ at International Film Festival of India (IFFI) ______ Biswajit Chatterjee.
➢ The Award has been announced at the opening ceremony of the festival, by Union Minister for Information & Broadcasting, Shri Prakash Javadekar.
➢ Biswajit Chatterjee is known for his roles of Kumar Vijay Singh in Bees Saal Baad, Raja Amit Kumar Singh in Kohra, Ashok in April Fool, Ramesh Kumar in Mere Sanam, Jeevan in Night In London, Shekhar in Do Kaliyaan and Vicky in Kismat.
1. Who has won the women’s singles title at the Thailand Open Super 1000 badminton tournament held in Bangkok ______ Carolina Marin.
➢ Marin, 27, beat Chinese Taipei's top seed Tai Tzu Ying in straight games in an ominous display of form as she prepares to defend her Olympic title later in the year in Tokyo.
➢ Tai was limited to a single digit score in the first game and while she fought hard in the second, Marin ended up winning the match 21-9, 21-16.
2. Who has won the men’s singles title at the Thailand Open Super 1000 badminton tournament held in Bangkok ______ Viktor Axelsen.
➢ Axelsen, meanwhile, recorded his second consecutive tournament win with a 21-14, 21-14 win over Hong Kong's Angus Ng Ka Long. Axelsen had earlier won the All England Open Championship in March.
➢ Indonesia's Greysia Polii and Apriyani Rahayu beat Thailand's Jongkolphan Kititharakul and Rawinda Prajongjai 21-15, 21-12 to win the women's doubles final.
1. Who has authored the book titled 'Manohar Parrikar -Off the Record' ______ Waman Subha Prabhu.
➢ The book has been written by senior journalist Waman Subha Prabhu.
➢ The book ‘Manohar Parrikar- Off the Record’ is a collection of memories of Mr Prabhu who happened to be with late Parrikar during the journey of his life.
➢ In the book the author has endeavored to narrate multi-faceted personality of late Manohar Parrikar.
2. Who has authored the book titled “The Making of Aadhaar: World's Largest Identity Platform” ______ Ram Sewak Sharma.
➢ Sharma begins by summing up his experiences during various bureaucratic postings in Jharkhand, ranging from streamlining personnel records and digitising public grievances to managing election logistics — all using innovative digital means.
➢ The learnings from these episodes proved to be the building blocks of the Aadhaar project.
3. The Maharashtra government has renamed Gorewada International Zoo in Nagpur after ______ Balasaheb Thackeray.
➢ The zoological park will come up on nearly 2,000 hectares forest land.
➢ Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray will inaugurate the Indian safari at the zoo on January 26.
➢ Three special 40-seat capacity vehicles and an online ticket booking facility will be made available to the people as soon after the Indian safari is inaugurated.
1. Which defence manufacturing company of India has signed an agreement with European defence company Thales to manufacture STAR Streak Air Defence System in India ______ Bharat Dynamics Limited.
➢ The Teaming Agreement was signed at a virtual ceremony held on 13 January 2021.
➢ BDL will become a part of the STAR Streak global supply chain, providing the opportunity for export of the system to existing and future STAR Streak Air Defence customers, including the UK Armed Forces through this agreement.
➢ BDL, as a part of its Global Outreach, is endeavouring to forge alliance with foreign companies to take the "Make in India" mission further.
2. Name the Motor Bikes ambulances that have been created on 350cc Royal Enfield Classic bikes by the Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences (INMAS) ______ Rakshita.
➢ It was developed by DRDO lab Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences (INMAS), New Delhi.
➢ It is a bike-based casualty transport emergency vehicle.
➢ The customised ‘Rakshita’ ambulances have been created on 350cc Royal Enfield Classic bikes.
➢ Rakshita is fitted with a customized reclining Casualty Evacuation Seat (CES).
3. Joint military exercise 'Ex-Desert Knight 21' is to be conducted between India and which country ______ France.
➢ It is expected to see Rafale jets of the two countries engaging in complex maneuvers to enhance operational coordination.
➢ The aim of the exercise is to provide operational exposure and share best practices towards enhancing combat capability.
➢ Both the air forces will deploy frontline fighter jets as well as transport, and tanker aircraft in the exercise.
4. The Union Government has decided to export which missile to friendly foreign countries ______ Akash.
➢ The decision to export the missile systems was taken at a Cabinet meeting presided by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
➢ The Akash missile systems have over 96 per cent indigenous components and the weapon can hit targets at a range of 25km.